Primer for acrylics

So I moved away from Mr. Color lacquer because while it sprays beautifully the fumes are just too much even with a paint booth and mask.  Plus I live in an apartment with my dog and I feel badly for the little guy :-(  So I use them only for priming really now, but even that is just a bit muc.  And I live Colorado which might as well be a frozen wasteland so spraying outside isnt an option plus hauling all the equipment doesn't work.  When I've used some acrylics on bare plastic they don't adhere well and will often lift if masking tape is applied.  Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good acrylic based primer?  I like using Model Master and Tamiya Acrylics, and if I can get my hands on Mr. Hobby Aqueous I like those too.  

Just as an aside, since I've got an F-16CJ build coming up, who do you guys think makes the best match for FS 36270 and FS 36118?

Appreciate the input

Dan

Edited by dsahling

I just started using Acrylics for the same reason you did. I heard good things about Badger Stynlrez so I gave it a try and love it. It has a leveling agent so it sprays on very smoothly, dries quickly with virtually no odor and appears to be very durable. I've had no issues spraying Tamiya acrylics over it either.

Hope that helps

Jim 

Edited by jeem
added text

Thanks guys, I was thinking to myself a couple days ago, if simply priming a 1/48th UH-1Y produces such strong fumes to ME, its got to be torture for my dog.  Sorry little buddy!  Although he usually sleeps nearby while I work and hasn't seemed to mind.  And in no way am I try to bad mouth Mr. Color products, they spray BEAUTIFULLY and have a great range of color and I wouldn't write them off completely, and if you have a more heavy duty exhaust/spray booth it might be better.  But spraying acrylics just doesn't leave me with such a headache and is easier in an apartment.

On Thursday, March 09, 2017 at 2:31 AM, jeem said:

I just started using Acrylics for the same reason you did. I heard good things about Badger Stynlrez so I gave it a try and love it. It has a leveling agent so it sprays on very smoothly, dries quickly with virtually no odor and appears to be very durable. I've had no issues spraying Tamiya acrylics over it either.

Hope that helps

Jim 

I don't know what these primers are made of but it not because they are odorless that they are not harmfull. Carbon monoxyde is odorless but it kills you.

Just my 2 cents

5 hours ago, squezzer said:

I don't know what these primers are made of but it not because they are odorless that they are not harmfull. Carbon monoxyde is odorless but it kills you.

Just my 2 cents

I appreciate the input, I probably should wear a mask a little more, and I know acrylics aren't good either, its just those lacquer fumes are SO strong I just want to leave the apartment for a while, and acrylics leave much less of an odor and are easier for me to tolerate.  Thanks though.

I use acrylics for the same reason as you.  I'm not bragging about this, but I don't have a paint booth with a fan that exits outside.  I do use a good mask with a "prefilter" for painting, including spraying acrylics with my airbrush.  I, too, live where it's usually too cold to paint outdoors, so when it's cold, I use rattle-can primer and spray it in the bathroom with the fan running.  I use Tamiya "fine" light gray primer mostly, as it shows the places that need additional work better than the white.  It goes on smooth, dries fast and most tape won't pull it off.  I've had Tamiya primer come off when using very sticky tape, but never when using Tamiya masking tape, or the equivalent, which is less sticky.  Aside from some dust from overspray, I haven't have any problems with painting in the bathroom.  I just let the fan run for a while after I'm through.  I also spread newspapers around.  Overspray cleans up easily. Also good information if you're going to do this, I'm painting in our guest bathroom, and I have a very accommodating wife.  :-)

Early last year I switched from Tamiya Gray Primer filler, which is lacquer based, to Mig Ammo Acrylic gray and black primers. I thin them with Tamiya Yellow cap, but X-20A works just as well.  I'm strictly a Tamiya guy for all exterior colors straight from the bottle or mixed, with the exception of Alcads, and MRP lacquers for interior colors (testing them out).  The Mig Ammo primers stick like glue to the plastic, and polish out perfectly. The Tamiya paints stickl to Mig Ammo primers as good as they do to to the Tamiya Gray primer.  You'll love them, and there is almost no smell.

Joel

AKAN acrylic primer 74006 is excellent and you need just a drop or two of water to thin it, if that. Sprays on thin and neatly and both Testors and AKAN paint both cling to it. 

You can get it from Linden Hill Imports if you're in the USA.