New 1/35 Vietnam Helo Crew Figures

12 hours ago, 11bee said:

With regard to rolled up sleeves, personally I would like to have seen those figures with the sleeves down.  For two reasons - one is that the vast majority of pictures of Vietnam era flight crews who were issued nomex (not talking about early war cotton uniforms like some of the pics above) kept their sleeves rolled down (for the reasons John noted above).   Also, if you are going to use these figures for a post-Vietnam, through mid/late 80's flight crew, I'm fairly certain that no one was flying with sleeves rolled up in that time frame.   

It's pretty easy to cut off the cuffs and extend the full sleeves using a bit of A&B putty and a couple strips of lead foil for the cuffs.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:26 PM, snake36bravo said:

Here is another image showing Lt. Rick Schwab wearing the survival vest over his Chicken Plate body armor. He is also in two piece Nomex Rick was with C 2/17 as Condor 47.

Two piece Nomex (shirt and trousers, Flying, Hot Weather, Fire Resistant) introduced 1969

Nomex gloves ( Flyer's Gloves, Nylon, Fire Resistant) introduced mid-1968

Chicken-Plates ( Body Armor, Fragmentation, Small Arms Protective, Aircrewman) mid-1968

Survival vests. SRU-21/P (Vest, Survival, Nylon, Mesh) best I could find was mid 60s

32526433844_c1ed66083e_b.jpg

that looks like the vest I saw. I might add that the only folks up my way wearing Nomex suits were the guys crewing Chinhooks. Reminded me of stateside BDU's. If there was anybody having access to regular leather boots in 1968, he'd have gone home a rich man by selling them. Even Generals couldn't get a pair.

gary

7 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

Nomex hasn't changed either - Always uncomfortable in the heat

Hell yes! Had to wear a PT shirt under that just to soak up the sweat and feel less uncomfortable even if it made me sweat more. Nomex also had a weird smell that never went away regards how many times you washed it and what detergent you used!

8 minutes ago, torchf4 said:

Hell yes! Had to wear a PT shirt under that just to soak up the sweat and feel less uncomfortable even if it made me sweat more. Nomex also had a weird smell that never went away regards how many times you washed it and what detergent you used!

Yes - but the best thing was we didn't have to iron them!! Crumpled flying suits raised the eyebrows quite a bit!!

15 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

It's pretty easy to cut off the cuffs and extend the full sleeves using a bit of A&B putty and a couple strips of lead foil for the cuffs.

True. However, I'm not a huge fan of these figures in general.   Pointing it out in case others that lurk on these threads decide to offer up some Vietnam/Cold War era helo crews.