Help with washes and dull coats

Heyo guys, I have a couple issues that I'm having troubles with, especially after my last build. 

Issue one: dull coat. I finished my last plane and decided to use dull coat for the first time! The problem is it now appears to be have a tooth paste appearence in certain areas. Why only in these couple spots? I used tamiya primer, tamiya paint, followed by an acrylic clear. After adding some final details I added a tamiya spray can dull coat. I understand that it may have eaten through, but I put on a heavier coat in other areas then where it wore off. Thoughts?

Two, I've been trying washes, by using tamiya accent pin wash, oil and acrylic washes, but I can't  get it to stay in the panel lines when I wipe the excess off, despite allowing to dry first. It keeps soaking it all up. Not even leaving streaks even w/ light strokes. 

Any thoughts?  Thanks, Dave. 

Quick thoughts:

(1) If the issue is a white, powdery finish, it may have to do with too much pooling of the lacquer clear. If you search for 'lacquer blushing,' you may see some of the reasons this might be happening. humidity has the biggest impact, but it could be the lacquer damaging the acrylic clear coat too. 

(2) This is likely because the bare panel lines were too shallow, or the primer and paint coats were too thick. So the wash does not have much to grab onto, hence gets removed easily. Too gloss of a surface will also contribute to this effect. One idea is to scribe all panel lines and rivets with a scriber before any paint and sand out any imperfections. This will not only deepen the panel lines, but also roughen up the line at the microscopic scale, which will provide a better grip for the wash. The whole scribing can be tedious though. 

Could you post a photo of this "toothpaste effect"?

Here is what I suggest:

Issue one: I think the culprit is acrylic clear. If you used it to apply decals and wash, then don't. Use "Future" instead and after you are happy with decals, wash and all the detailing, then seal it with Tamiya dull coat spray can. That's what I do and have had no problem so far.

Issue two: I always thin Tamiya accent pin wash with enamel thinner. It runs smoother in the panel lines and looks more realistic. After drying, I wipe the excess wash with an "almost dry q-tips". If you soak your q-tip in enamel thinner, it will completely wipe all the wash, so don't soak it. Wipe very minimally and leave a bit of wash in the panel lines as much as you prefer.

Edited by MiG Hunter
3 hours ago, MiG Hunter said:

Here is what I suggest:

Issue one: I think the culprit is acrylic clear. If you used it to apply decals and wash, then don't. Use "Future" instead and after you are happy with decals, wash and all the detailing, then seal it with Tamiya dull coat spray can. That's what I do and have had no problem so far.

Future is an acrylic clear too. If you feel that the culprit is the acrylic clear, future won't be the solution.

3 hours ago, MiG Hunter said:

Issue two: I always thin Tamiya accent pin wash with lacquer thinner. It runs smoother in the panel lines and looks more realistic. After drying, I wipe the excess wash with an "almost dry q-tips". If you soak your q-tip in lacquer thinner, it will completely wipe all the wash, so don't soak it. Wipe very minimally and leave a bit of wash in the panel lines as much as you prefer.

I strongly advise against thinning the wash with lacquer thinner, or cleaning the excess wash with anything that has traces of lacquer thinner on it. I'm not sure why you would suggest that. Sorry but both of your suggestions are inaccurate.

45 minutes ago, Janissary said:

I strongly advise against thinning the wash with lacquer thinner, or cleaning the excess wash with anything that has traces of lacquer thinner on it. I'm not sure why you would suggest that. Sorry but both of your suggestions are inaccurate.

Can you explain your thoughts about the lacquer? I have been using white spirits instead. 

Thanks, Dave  

any lacquer/cellulose thinner content no matter how small will most likely wipe out everything else down to bare plastic, along with the excess wash.

white spirit, turpentine and scale model specific enamel thinners would be a safer way for thinning tamiya's panel line washes (afaik their base is enamel afterall)

Concentrated application of lacquer thinner will eat through all dried/cured modeling paints with ease down to the plastic (and through the plastic if generic, hardware store lacquer thinner). This includes hand brushing or q-tip type of applicators where either the amount of lacquer thinner or the application pressure is considerable. Yes with extreme care you can possibly avoid damage, but this would be a fundamentally a flawed approach to applying oil washes. 

For oil washes, white spirits is fine, as is turpenoid, lighter fluid, or other enamel thinners, provided that you have an acrylic base paint, or sealed your enamel paint with an acrylic clear. 

But, from the description of your problem, your issue seems to be shallow panel lines. 

1 hour ago, Janissary said:

Future is an acrylic clear too. If you feel that the culprit is the acrylic clear, future won't be the solution.

Sorry. I meant enamel thinner and not lacquer thinner for clean up. Thank you, Janissary.