Airbrushing Models with Variable Geometry

What is the best way to airbrush movable wings?

I am a newbie and had a hard time with my 1/48 F-14A Tomcat. I airbrushed the wings on the model and in full forward position but when the wings are fully retracted, a small section of wing is obviously unpainted. See attached photo. 

What is the correct technique to avoid this issue? Any tips appreciated. 

IMG_0011.JPG

Edited by MiG Hunter

Two choices as I see it...

1 paint the wings in the retracted position

2 mask and paint the small section   It's a really easy mask job.

You most likely will have to do the leading and trailing edges separately with the wings open and closed.

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary
added info

I've read about modifying the pivot hole to a notch so the wing can be slid in after painting. Means you need to be careful transporting the finished model, but no messing about with the paint.

Tamiya apparently designed the wings to be painted off the kit. Of course, my F-14 kits are Not-Tamiya, so I'll be doing the notch thing or figuring out how to replicate Tamiya's slotted wing-pivot joint...

Mine is an old 1/48 monogram F-14A. No option to slide it an after painting. I guess my only option is to mask and paint the unpainted section. I thought there might be an easier way, though.

Another issue here is, that the paint will be scratched/marked once you move the wings due to tight fitting which makes the whole idea of having movable wings impractical.

Two options:

- paint the wings before assembling the fuselage.

- cut a section out of the wing hinge, so the wings can be fitted after assembly.  Like this.

F-14_Const-Detail6.jpg

Note that you want to leave a couple of very small tabs so the wings will stay in place.  It basically makes them a snap-fit.  If you cut a simple U shape, the fit will be lose; you need something to make your slot look more like this: c=