So no Vac Form Flanker Canopy...What is everyone using?

First of all I do have the Zacto Canopy for the Flanker, but I believe I "Hosed" it cutting it. In that event, and with no Vac Form available, what is everyone else doing now with their builds? I seem to recall that Trumpy issued kits which had different (more correct) moldings. Were the Canopy's corrected?

Thanks

I am currently doing some testing to try to solve my vacforming problem hoping to re-release both my Su-27 and A-7 canopy sets (as well as future new canopies).

So far the testing has been frustrating but I'm not giving up yet.

I'll eventually announce my success or failure here in the Zactoforum.

As for the re-tooled Trump canopy.

The only "fixed" the forward windscreen part by removing the bulged surface making it straight and not inflated looking. This was a small improvement.

They didn't change the arch intersection to the rear canopy or the rear canopy itself so it's still too big and bulbous.

E-mail me a pic of your "hosed" canopy part and I'll see if I can't help you out.

:cheers:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/10/2017 at 4:13 PM, Zactoman said:

I am currently doing some testing to try to solve my vacforming problem hoping to re-release both my Su-27 and A-7 canopy sets (as well as future new canopies).

So far the testing has been frustrating but I'm not giving up yet.

I'll eventually announce my success or failure here in the Zactoforum.

The tests that I did failed and gave me worse results than using my original tools.

I did have a talk with someone at the IPMS Nats back in August that might be able to help but that seems to have been a dead-end as he was too busy to assist. I'll try hitting him up again to see if he has time to try and help me out.

Again, I'll make a huge announcement if these become available again.

:cheers:

• 4 months later...
On 9 March 2017 at 9:20 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

...with no Vac Form available, what is everyone else doing now with their builds?...

Thanks

I have a spare single seater Revell Eurofighter canopy set and by judicious cutting and grinding either the windshield or the rear of the hood might be successfully reworked into a replacement Flanker windshield. 

Failing that I will make a balsa-talc-dope shape over which to drape-mould gently heated clear material. The success rate will be low and the room filled with blue language. 

Tony 

I am so happy I received one of the canopies years ago. It was my first attempt/use of a Vac Form canopy and I took my time and it came out outstanding. A dip in future, and attachment of the other parts made it look like the real thing. But, I will never build another 1/32 Flanker or derivative from Trumpeter. I lost months of my life with it.