Recce phantom nose

I know this is a rookie level question, but here I go I!

I have a hasegawa RF-4e that comes with these camera nose bits. I'm having trouble identifying if these count as the round or angled nose.

I'm assuming round, but can somebody please confirm?

1489118083850685783573.jpg

Also, can I backdate this version nose to an RF-4C?

Round nose, standard unslatted e wing, no Kai improvements. This seems to be a really restrictive kit. I was hoping to do a Greek or German RF-4 with it. Seems can't do either. 

This sucks, I wish Hasegawa have you both w and x sprues in the box.

For a German RF swap the camera housing for the square shape (you can also build a Greek(ex Luftwaffe) jet this way) To build one of the 8 original RF's that were delivered directly to Greece in the 80's, swap the hard wing with the later slatted wing, but you'll also need the intake cheek and fin top RWR fairings.

11 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

For a German RF swap the camera housing for the square shape (you can also build a Greek(ex Luftwaffe) jet this way) To build one of the 8 original RF's that were delivered directly to Greece in the 80's, swap the hard wing with the later slatted wing, but you'll also need the intake cheek and fin top RWR fairings.

That is the problem - the kit doesn't include the square camera housing. 

If anybody has a spare square (can you spare a square?) nose to sell, please contact me by PM. 

I suppose I can try scratch building one too. It would require changing the angle of the front camera window, shortening the front door, installing the prism shape to the bottom. 

ugh, easier to just hope somebody has a square to spare. Blasted Hasegawa...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQw6S9lczSAhXLsFQKHdF6DV4QyCkIHjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGysu0kgFwT0&usg=AFQjCNGZkRrAVehScAOGeQ5DuZDldsoMMw&sig2=y4YIQaQBnONUvN5TkAaiCQ

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years back, needed the round nose when I had the square, then needed the square when I had the round.

I'll check the spares box but I'm fairly sure I've only got one of the square and I need it.

It seems to me that in the current configuration, about all I can do with this kit is turn it into an early (1970s-80s) period 501 squadron machine. 

Did nobody else use the round camera nose in combination with the hard wing? 

Spain used the RF-4C, hard wing and round nose, you'll have to swap out the exhausts for short cans but they may be in your box already,

If not I think I have a set of short cans

Edit: you'll need the Navy style pointed inner wing pylons as well, I may have these as well

Edited by scotthldr

For a Spanish RF-4C you would also need the straight USN style wing pylons, and, optional, the refuelling probe.

Israel also had 2 (serials 490 &497) hard winged, round nosed RF-4E. But you would again need that refuelling probe, and decals, which might be difficult to find.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, Pete said:

For a Spanish RF-4C you would also need the straight USN style wing pylons, and, optional, the refuelling probe.

Israel also had 2 (serials 490 &497) hard winged, round nosed RF-4E. But you would again need that refuelling probe, and decals, which might be difficult to find.

Italeri reissued their RF-4E with the probe,Spanish

planes also had them

Don't forget Iran also had RF-4Es from Blocks 48, 61 and 62.  They had a mix of noses but this one definitely has the rounded version:

http://gallery.military.ir/albums/userpics/10266/03~49.jpg

It looks like a censor may have obliterated the serial but Iran's RF-4Es but the later Blocks seem to use 2-65xx numbers. There were officially 16 delivered but there are several designated as 'UKI' (Unknown Iranian) which were attrition replacements so it could be one of those.