Day trip around the Suffolk bases.

Hi gents,

Been a while since I've posted anything up but here's a selection from a run around the local airfields on Thursday. I'd booked the day off work a while ago (actually got some decent weather as well!) as the Oregon ANG F-15 deployment that arrived over a week ago was rumoured to be staying at Lakenheath for some local flying, but these guys were actually stopping off on the way to the Middle East and another wave are expected soon (believed to be Florida and/or Louisiana ANG) for a European deployment. The ANG F-15s finally got away, after two false starts, in pre-dawn on Thursday so I was left with the locals, which although quiet at both bases, turned out to be worth it.

Started at Mildenhall, which was nearly empty, even most of the resident tankers were away, and the deployed WC-135 that has made the headlines was hidden in the middle of the field and didn't fly either. A couple of arrivals;

Local 100th ARW tanker back after departing early with the TDY RC-135.

IMG_3115_zpsm7a6ek9r.jpg

Not a common sight here, RAF King Air in for some circuit work.

IMG_3104_zpslu2ycu2p.jpg

Travis C-17 that intended to quick turn, but clearly had never been to Mildenhall before - he was still there at dusk...

IMG_3071_zpsunxhnyo2.jpg

With it looking very quiet, and next door having launched a few flights by then, I moved over. The first pair back were coming in with a IFE, and all I could make out was there was a issue with the CFT on one jet. When I saw them on approach I realised what was going on, they were carrying Paveway LGB's and had gone up to Tain, the bombing range in Scotland. One of the bombs had hung.

The first pair, the IFE aircraft and his wingman brought back four Paveways (drill GBU-12s?).

IMG_3133_zpstfjjcosa.jpg

IMG_3129_zpsn5qpnnux.jpg

IMG_3142_zpsl1hvqxwq.jpg

IMG_3148_zpsrwhbdtsm.jpg

The remaining flights came back with just the two, so I assume they would load more than what they intend to release on the range.

IMG_3163_zpsz4ax7lun.jpg

Only two of the HH-60s are here I believe, as the other three were airlifted out on a deployment a while ago, but both were operating.

IMG_3234_zpshxpk0tgm.jpg

IMG_3249_zpsbxro8tyc.jpg

At that point I switched back, as the Special Ops wing at Mildenhall often flies at dusk on a Thursday and when I got back MC-130's and KC-135s were all winding up. The Ospreys looked like they were going to go later but apparently didn't - I'll resist the usual comment on their serviceability!

Seymour Johnson are currently providing the 'Nacho' tanker. For a while now a rotating TDY of a single KC-135 from US based AFRES/ANG units has been at Mildenhall to take some of the routine flights and relieve pressure on the 100th ARW, and it operates under the callsign 'Nacho'. Here 'Nacho 82' is being waved off at dusk.

IMG_8079_zpsjmr3mqun.jpg

IMG_8098_zpsr7a9ggsu.jpg

Unfortunately, I was watching him so much I forgot about the two MC-130Js that came off towards me. The light was going then as a cloud bank had rolled in but the two 100th birds that followed them off caught some decent light in the gaps. These came off late and low, and later I found out they went down South to refuel a deployment of Minot B-52s inbound the Middle east.

IMG_3272_zpsxzrmtlbf.jpg

IMG_3281_zpsdcncgbqm.jpg

IMG_3290_zpszf7ziupu.jpg

Second ship was bit wobbly in the high winds.

IMG_3309_zpsfln6fpsn.jpg

As this pair lined up they got a warning from ATC to expedite as there was a E-3 on a 10 mile final, which was a surprise as I never heard him inbound and there wasn't any USAF examples expected. Then I remembered a NATO example had been working UK airspace during the day so I prayed the light stayed with me as he overshot.

IMG_3327_zpsxf5voams.jpg

IMG_3337_zpscnc6qbdq.jpg

And that was it, not so bad after all.

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Always love seeing your posts, Gary - always makes me want to come visit.
I can't quite tell on my screen; was the E-3 LX-N90459? That's the one that was based out of my local airport (Boeing Field in Seattle) receiving upgrades - I had the chance to catch it several times during the three years it was here, and it still feels a bit empty without it parked down at the south end... good to see it out and about!

One of mine from the last time I saw her fly:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Luxembourg-NATO/Boeing-E-3A-Sentry-(707-300)/4233091?qsp=eJwtjDEOwkAMBP/imgZFokgHHwgFHzDnBU4J3Mm2BKcof8ec6GZ3pFkplZfj45dWQSMZWNODdlRZ%2BWk0rjSjvYtKMM3XWw5nRf3UYgs7jimhOuT/TyrQn4KlnrlHdh8APXem4RC/ZKsL9wac80Lb9gX1BS43

Edited by Jaypack44
fixed image link

Hi Josh,

A close look at a blow up shows LX-N90459 on the tail so that is the one. How's that for a coincidence! It was there for three years?? Any idea if it was a one off or is the whole fleet going to go through Boeing Field. I think they have 16 left in operation from the original 18 delivered to NATO, one written off and one recently retired for parts reclamation. Mine's in the queue at A.Net and the second of the two E-3 pics above was published in my local paper yesterday.

Gary

Hi,

This was the local press over there;

http://www.minotdailynews.com/news/local-news/2017/03/1st-time-in-12-years/

From the official Minot site;

http://www.minot.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1114173/5th-bomb-wing-members-deploy-in-support-of-operation-inherent-resolve

Last Thursday the two 'Quids' that I photographed departing (Quid 539/540) refuelled 'Mytee 33/34' down in the Med that night before coming back in the early hours. 'Mytee' were Minot B-52s, although they had departed Barksdale. 'Spur 81/82' (McConnell tankers) were the refuellers on the Western side of the pond.

This Wednesday Mildenhall tankers also refuelled 'Mytee 96/97' but it seems like they were going in the opposite direction.

Gary