527th Aggressor Sq.

I've asked the same before, but from what I have gathered they never did. The only USAF Agressor squadrons to fly F-5F's were 64TFTAS and 65TFTAS back in early 1980's.  

Indeed.  

In fact, I think the first photographs I ever took of military aircraft were taken at Wyton  -  of Alconbury's F-5Es and RC-4Cs when their runway was being resurfaced.

1981 or '82 ?

Keith

8 hours ago, Niels said:

I've asked the same before, but from what I have gathered they never did. The only USAF Agressor squadrons to fly F-5F's were 64TFTAS and 65TFTAS back in early 1980's.  

While I don't have any official documentation, I do have an extensive collection of aggressor 35 mm slides, and going by that, Niels is 100% correct. The only shots that I have of USAF aggressor F-5Fs is from the 64th & 65th Aggressor Squadrons at Nellis in the early 80's. Apparently they only had them for a very short time (a year or so) before they were sent to the 425th TFTS at Williams possibly to replace or at least supplement their F-5Bs. The F-5Fs that were assigned to the aggressor units were:

82-0089 painted in an overall gray scheme, 65th AS

82-0090 in a version of the New Ghost scheme, 65th AS

83-0072 in the Sand scheme, 64th AS

83-0073 in the Blue scheme, 64th AS

83-0074 in a modified Flogger scheme, 64th AS

For modelers notes, all are late build F's, and would have had the duckbill/sharknose nose cone, and wing root extensions. They would have also had radar screens in the cockpit, and the flat VOR/ILS antenna on top the vertical stabilizer. HTH, Fred K

23 hours ago, Piker38 said:

Indeed.  

In fact, I think the first photographs I ever took of military aircraft were taken at Wyton  -  of Alconbury's F-5Es and RC-4Cs when their runway was being resurfaced.

1981 or '82 ?

Keith

We at Wyton went across to Alconbury in 1985, but I am sure that Alconbury came across to us in 1984. Our Sqn housed the TR-1s, whilst our ultra secret Nimrod R1s were parked outside.

Yes, that would about right........... many happy days spent at those two bases.

There were some very good shots to be had of the RF-4Cs from the crash-gate near the Bloodhound missiles at Wyton - but we photographers also surprised a few couples that used to 'park' down that lane at lunchtimes  ;-)

Keith