The Bedevils are in the Details

This is the Hasegawa 1/48 F-14A+ kit number SP8.  Started this kit back in November and it gave me quite a bit of trouble.  It was one of the older kits in  my collection, purchased sometime in the early 90's.  After many years of being stored in garages some of the plastic got brittle.  One sprue in particular would crumble upon snipping parts off.  This happened to be the sprue with the landing gear parts on it.  I was forever having to repair mlg struts and the like.  Anyway the good news it is done.  I actually finished it in January, just getting around to taking some pictures.  The kit decals were for VF-74 but I used the 2 Bobs version from when they were getting ready to disestablish and were acting as adversary unit for east coast fighters.  Aside from the decals I also used a WANDD pitot tube, a set of DEF.MODEL resin wheels and some sidewinders from the leftovers box for a catm sidewinder and an ACMI pod.   2 Bobs decals dressed them up too!  The kit came with vinyl tires and they crumbled upon putting them onto the wheels.  I used MM paints and liquefied oil paints for panel line highlighting.  Hope you like the pictures.

IMG_4845.jpgIMG_4842.jpgIMG_4843.jpgIMG_4846.jpgIMG_4847.jpgIMG_4848.jpg

Nice F-14 there Geoff. Looks great :thumbsup::thumbsup: I have that Two Bobs sheet and it is nice to see how it fits on the Hasegawa kit. 

VF-74 is one of my favourite USN squadrons.and I have even built an F-4J in a VF-74 scheme. Thanks fro posting.

Looks real nice. The tires crumbled? Built lots of theses Hasegawa Tomcats. Never had THAT happen. Where they painted or something before you put them on the model?

Thanks for the compliments.  I have been wanting to this scheme for a while.  As for the tires, I hadn't painted them yet.  When I tried to push the main gear tires onto the wheels they split.  At first I thought i might be able to super glue them but that didn't work I really believe it was time and heat that kind of hardened them.

Geoff M