http://scalemodels.ru/news/11298-anons-zvezda-1-72-mig-29smt---3D-rendery.html?k

Lovely 3D renderings of Zvezda's upcoming 1/72  MiG-29SMT. Considering how excellent their MiG-29C kit is, I have high hopes. Hopefully they'll tackle the MiG-35 as their next Fulcrum. 

Kotey, care to hint at any schemes you'll be including in the decal sheet? I'm hoping the SMTs in the "classic" grey/grey green camouflage will be included! 

Classik grey-green sceme - 9.19R, it have different fins and wingtips. Model will be 9.19A, so in model will be Algerian and RuAF splinter type ex-Algerian schemes.

59 minutes ago, janman said:

Trumpeter has one now too, hasn't it?

I didn't buy it as I was waiting for the Zvezda kit. Trumpy MiG-29 are good kits (splendid surface detailing, quite good fit) and pretty good models globally so Trumpy provides the best 1/72 9.12 and UB for the moment. Nonetheless I don't like Trumpy's cross-section evolution in the windscreen area (bloated look) and opened auxiliary intakes so for the 9.13 and SMT, I choose Zvezda.

I don't have Trump's 9.12, but if other options include the old Italeri-related kits, the horrible Japanese reinditions and the new Trumpeter, I'll gladly choose it. Yeah, I've heard it's a nice kit. So, I'm not a Trmpy basher! :D

11 hours ago, janman said:

Okay! 

Trumpeter has one now too, hasn't it? But I'm pretty sure I'll prefer this one. Nice!

Trumpeter's MiG-29SMT spine is... a sight to behold.

13 hours ago, Berkut said:

Trumpeter's MiG-29SMT spine is... a sight to behold.

Didn't really study the spine, but looking at the photos of Laurent's build, the intake FOD doors seem disproportioned. E.g. if the GWH kit ones start at around 1/3 of the intake, on the Trumpy photos it looks more like they start at 40% of the opening.

Perhaps it's just my impression from the photos, but from the first look I couldn't shake the feeling that it looks rather odd.

Edited by ijozic
22 minutes ago, ijozic said:

Didn't really study the spine, but looking at the photos of Laurent's build, the intake FOD doors seem disproportioned. E.g. if the GWH kit ones start at around 1/3 of the intake, on the Trumpy photos it looks more like they start at 40% of the opening.

Perhaps it's just my impression from the photos, but from the first look I couldn't shake the feeling that it looks rather odd.

Well noticed. It truly doesn't look right.

45 minutes ago, janman said:

Well noticed. It truly doesn't look right.

Yeah, it looks like a square while the real thing looks more like a rectangle. It doesn't look like there's a big difference in size, but the resulting effect seems quite apparent, at least on those photos.

If it's indeed so, I REALLY hope they don't have the same error (or some bigger issues) on their upcoming 1/32 kit (or 1/48 if HB ever decides to downscale it) as I'd rather not do another GWH 29 kit if I can help it (poor engineering of intakes and rear fuselage (perhaps warped?), brittle and hard plastic in combination with large sprue attachment points, poor intake insides making it too much work to leave them open, flash, some misalignment, etc. - so disappointing for a well praised and expensive kit). Sorry for venting my fresh frustration with the GWH kit in this thread.

Edited by ijozic
  • 6 months later...
On 14.3.2017 at 4:25 AM, kotey said:

Classik grey-green sceme - 9.19R, it have different fins and wingtips. Model will be 9.19A, so in model will be Algerian and RuAF splinter type ex-Algerian schemes.

In Germany (importet by Carson) there are only two (different splinters) Russian versions in the Kit. I'm heavily seeking to build an Algerian, cause of this striking light blue basic color. 

Kotey - are yor still working on a additional decal-sheet and when will it be released? 

Edited by Rapier
5 hours ago, Rapier said:

Kotey - are yor still working on a additional decal-sheet and when will it be released? 

In last moment Zvezda's management decide to reduce Algerian markings in inbox decals.

Yes, now i'm at small vacation, but after my return to work i going to finish big MiG-29SMT decal, i hope it will be in print in the end of 2017 in 1/72 and 1/48 scales.

Edited by kotey
3 hours ago, kotey said:

In last moment Zvezda's management decide to reduce Algerian markings in inbox decals.

Yes, now i'm at small vacation, but after my return to work i going to finish big MiG-29SMT decal, i hope it will be in print in the end of 2017 in 1/72 and 1/48 scales.

Awesome, Im in!