The Revell 1/72 F-101B Voodoo was molded in Korea by Ace, although I don't think I've ever seen an Ace box of it. At first glance, it seems to borrow from the Monogram 1/48 scale kit, but of course it has recessed panel lines instead of raised. I really like this kit but there's trouble fitting the cockpit parts together, especially the instrument panel and shroud for the GIB. Wish they had done a decal for this one, but nobody has. I made mine with decal stars on the tail and arrows on the fuselage cut from decal film. I tried making the unit emblem by printing a patch image onto white decal film. It's OK for the scale, but don't look too close.

F-101Bweb1_zpsm39jlmhz.jpg

Nice kit Paul but one wee little detail about the armament door, the AIR-2A side, looking forward, faced either down (when flat), to the right (when vertical) or up (when rotated up inside). The only way it could point to the left (when vertical) is if there was a large pool of hydraulic fluid under it and parts and pieces like the door actuator punched thru the skin.

Jari

7 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

The Revell 1/72 F-101B Voodoo was molded in Korea by Ace, although I don't think I've ever seen an Ace box of it. At first glance, it seems to borrow from the Monogram 1/48 scale kit, but of course it has recessed panel lines instead of raised. I really like this kit but there's trouble fitting the cockpit parts together, especially the instrument panel and shroud for the GIB. Wish they had done a decal for this one, but nobody has. I made mine with decal stars on the tail and arrows on the fuselage cut from decal film. I tried making the unit emblem by printing a patch image onto white decal film. It's OK for the scale, but don't look too close.

F-101Bweb1_zpsm39jlmhz.jpg

I agree with Paul, it's nice kit, but the cockpit is rather odd construction-wise. Much better than the old Matchbox kit.

2372698590051667340fFIRCo_fs_zps1c8da731.jpg

With the info provided above, I'd say buy the kit. I had one in the stash at one time, but when I decided to concentrate on 1/48th scale it went to eBay. After struggling withe the Matchbox kit (it had it's issues, but the build issues were my problem, not the kits) this Revell kit was a revelation.

Builds up real pretty - I ordered the Repliscale decals and it shines on the shelf - at least to my eyes.

Nice kit - I think you will be very happy. I am a modeler of moderate, almost incompetent skills, and it ended up looking great. The AIR-2 Genies really give it a ...Doomsday kind of look.

Happy Modeling,

Harry

Lutz, FL

It's funny, I have never in my life been interested in the Voodoo, other than acknowledging that it had one of the cooler names....then I saw the markings of the Maine ANG with the pine tree on the tail, found Caracal's decals of same, and now am headed toward doing a subject which never interested me....with gusto! Funny how life leads you....

22 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

It's funny, I have never in my life been interested in the Voodoo, other than acknowledging that it had one of the cooler names....then I saw the markings of the Maine ANG with the pine tree on the tail, found Caracal's decals of same, and now am headed toward doing a subject which never interested me....with gusto! Funny how life leads you....

Great minds think alike! That's precisely the reason why I got interested in the 2-seat Voodoo. Many moons ago, I'd seen pics of the ADC grey F-101B with that cool pine tree on the tail.   Never showed much interest in it prior to that. At first I was disappointed that the only decals for that scheme was an old Area 53 sheet in 1/48 scale:

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/a531.htm

And then, years later, when Caracal released the 1/72 sheet, I was elated.  :yahoo:

I think the only other 2-seater Voodoo I have an interest in, is the old Matchbox RF-101B in the SEA camo scheme.  I think the chinpod gives it a very purposeful look.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/5/9/9/147599-11611-pristine.jpg

Was also inspired by awesome builts of the 1/48 version:

http://www.arcair.com/Gal6/5501-5600/gal5566-RF-101-Borzellino/00.shtm

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001128-monogram-rf-101b-recon-voodoo-148/

Good luck on yours, Andrew!