FSM had a Shelf of Doom GB running concurrently with a Thunderbolt one, and I had these are four Tbolts languishing on the SoD in my closet.  I decided to dust them off and finish them for the GBs.

The first one is the venerable Monogram Razorback that I got for dirt cheap at a swap meet.  It didn’t have decals, so I used an old Microscale sheet.  Except for the decals and some tape seatbelts, it's finished OOB.  It's painted with MM enamels and weathered with Flory washes and pastels.  You eagle-eyed modelers will notice that the wingtip lights hadn't been painted at the time the photos were taken.  I have since painted them.

Anyway, let's take a look at the pictures.

DSC09787_zps8jm6lgxg.jpg

DSC09788_zpsqmbvabjz.jpg

DSC09789_zpspaxnneuv.jpg

DSC09790_zpsrnnedq3m.jpg

DSC09799_zpsekazpnuj.jpg

DSC09802_zpsqxukrio7.jpg

DSC09803_zps2op6ll5m.jpg

DSC09804_zps8fahcvm1.jpg

DSC09805_zpszxbxpxrf.jpg

DSC09784_zpspqj2nvnd.jpg

DSC09812_zpslhmtyq3a.jpg

Edited by oortiz10

The second is HobbyBoss' Easy Assembly Bubbletop.   Again, finished OOB except for Superscale decals, resin wheels from True Details, and some tape seatbelts in the cockpit. Also painted with MM enamels and weathered with Flory washes and pastels.  You may notice that the kit is missing one of the belly tank "straps." The Carpet Monster got it and I haven't been able to get a replacement.  

DSC09792_zpskstkvo01.jpg

DSC09793_zps6mv2nwhc.jpg

DSC09794_zpssp5dbl6n.jpg

DSC09795_zpsjtvqgkza.jpg

DSC09796_zpsixjisln6.jpg 

DSC09797_zpsxsh1tes8.jpg

DSC09814_zpsfpb87evr.jpg

DSC09815_zps9ck0mjrx.jpg

DSC09816_zpstu4cxgxt.jpg

DSC09821_zpsu9qsacly.jpg

DSC09791_zpsif1urbxs.jpg

The third one is Hasegawa's boxing.  "Lady D" was built OOB for a friend.  The squadron codes and serial are my friend's initials and birthday.  The paint scheme is loosely based on some squadrons in the ETO during WWII.  It's painted with Alclad and Testors and MM enamels.  It's (lightly) weathered with Flory's washes.  The markings were cobbled together from stuff in my spares drawer.  Specifically, the nose art was stolen from a P-61 sheet.  

DSC09912_zpssfudr3tl.jpg

DSC09915_zpsb7qnluiw.jpg

DSC09916_zpsovaasxfg.jpg

DSC09917_zpsb83atgij.jpg

DSC09918_zpsii1nofmt.jpg

DSC09919_zpsnqdnvekl.jpg

DSC09928_zpsloq2lpyx.jpg

DSC09930_zpslairbshc.jpg

DSC09934_zpsmvngbn7d.jpg

DSC09936_zpsga9ebtsk.jpg

Edited by oortiz10

Miss M is the last one and also a Hasegawa kit built for a different friend.  The squadron codes and serial are this second friend's initials and birthday.  The paint scheme is loosely based on some squadrons in the ETO during WWII.  It's painted with Alclad and Testors and MM enamels.  It's (lightly) weathered with Flory's washes.  I added some subtle chipping to the invasion stripes on the leading edges of the wings. The markings were cobbled together from stuff in my spares drawer.  The nose art was a custom piece printed by Mr. Osborn at Fireball Modelworks.

I had a couple of minor issues with this kit.  The most frustrating thing was seeing how low the belly tank hung once it was installed.  It was only about 1mm off the ground.  Luckily, I broke the tailwheel off during final assembly.  I was forced to scratch a new tailwheel assembly, but that allowed me to make it a bit longer than the kit piece.  As a result, the kit stood a bit taller, giving a bit more ground clearance.  Secondly, the had some minor issues with the nose art.  First, I somehow scratched the starboard pin-up's legs.  Also, the "Miss M" nose art tore at some point.  I was able to repair it (the best I could) with some paint.  Last, I couldn't get the decal film around the port pin-up to completely disappear.  Besides those little ticks, I'm happy with the way the kit built up and turned out.  I think I like this build better than Lady D.

DSC09906_zpsnmmdtj5o.jpg

DSC09907_zpsnmp6srla.jpg

DSC09908_zps0lpkif3l.jpg

DSC09910_zps9ebddayo.jpg

DSC09921_zpsweekqubc.jpg

DSC09922_zpsvyzin7ba.jpg

DSC09923_zpszic95hq1.jpg

DSC09924_zpseblxtqci.jpg

DSC09927_zpsj45kfd4i.jpg

DSC09938_zps5rfhf5sm.jpg

DSC09939_zpsdqlywdjk.jpg

Anyway, thanks for taking a look.  Feel free to share your thoughts.

Cheers!

-O

Edited by oortiz10

Hey very nice T-Bolts you have finished there. Very subtle weathering. You know as a modeller you can probably build only concentrate on P-47 kits and never have to build anything else in you modelling career.

I have only built one Tamiya kit so far and I loved it. I then went out and bought a few more and after seeing these I should get going on my line up.

They are all GORGEOUS, of course -but that Razorback is worth a standing ovation! :clap2:

Also, the 'Miss M' nose art on #4 is outstandingly rendered; apart from the old PYN sheets even the better quality 'off the shelf' printers never seem to do justice to these designs in 1/48.