1/48 Tamiya P-51D 'Lou IV'

I had to take a break from my polystyrene therapy sessions after my wife broke her leg when she was 35 weeks pregnant. It was a bad break and so I had to put everything up and focus on the family. But the baby is here, she is walking on her own again and I have carved out some time for a new project! Since I have a 4 year old and a one month old I thought I would keep it small and simple. So I am going with a simple yet good Tamiya kit. 

IMG_7231_zpswa57p8qu.jpg

I am using a Yahu P-51 instrument panel and all I can say is wow!  Its really good!

IMG_7242_zpsucryqtro.jpg

I am also trying out the Vallejo metallic paints and I would put them right up there with Alclad and so much easier to clean up!

And some airbrushed invasion striped. I just used some black and white Stynlrez. 

Edited by twhite80

Twhite80,

I'm' so glad to hear that the baby is fine, and that your wife has recovered from the broken leg. Must have really been tough going for you taking care of and a 4 year old, and still having to work.

The P-51 is looking good. I've seen a few large scale Yahu instrument panels, and they're the best I've ever seen to date. I'm going to use them whenever one is available for one of my builds.  the NMF really looks quite good. I'd say that the Vallejo Metallics look just as good as the Alcads. I've got so many bottles of various shades of Alcad Metallics that I can't afford to think about switching or even testing out the Vallejo ones right now.

Are  you planning on using the Tamiya decals? I've always found them to be a little on the thick side.

Joel

Thanks Joel! Yep. Everyone is doing great if not a little tired. 

I am going to use the Eagle Decals set. I agree. The Tamiya markings are just way too thick. I can never get them to lay down well, even with a ton of Solvaset!  I am glad that these Vallejo paints are working well. I like Acrylic best. They are a little pricey and I have lots of Alclad laying around too, but I wanted the easiest process possible since I anticipate having to put the airbrush down to chase a kid or change a diaper ;)

Twhite80,

I've found that Mr. Mark Set and Sol works wonders on the thicker kit Asian decals. When I have the choice I always go with after market decals.

I haven't had to  change a diaper in almost 30 years. I got to the point where I could do it one handed.

Joel

On 3/19/2017 at 2:23 AM, sabre45 said:

Your building the big brother. I got 3 small ones in...1/72 scale. Very nice Stangs. Your build is nice to see.

han.

Cool! I really like this scheme. I want to do a Tamiya 1/32 like this one. Then there will be a BIG brother!

I am getting closer. I got out my new airbrush to do some fine detail work. It works great! Very nice control. But then I looked at some actual photos of the aircraft and I noticed that some of the lines looked pretty hard in places. Almost like the camo was masked off. So I did a little of that too...

IMG_7265_zps2ew29rfr.jpg

IMG_7279_zps7egrhfkn.jpg

I have the invasion stripes and camo all done. I used some Vallejo Yellow but that just looked too pale. So I went back over it with some Citadel Yellow I had in my drawer. That stuff actually went through he airbrush quite well!

And finally I used some Steel Beach masks for the wheel wells. What a time saver!  

IMG_7277_zpsckh8owxr.jpg

The paint scheme on this aircraft seems to be a bit vague. I attempted to do some more research on the internet only to discover that there are apparently violent controversies surrounding the scheme of this particular aircraft. People can get pretty bent out of shape over the colors, stripes, and finish. I realize that there are a few things that I have done that could be more accurate. I didn't have a single photo of the right side of the aircraft so the camo was guess work. I found one later and realized my camo was wrong. Also I did not pain the panels over the guns yellow. The photos I saw looks like they were a slightly different color but not bright yellow. I might revisit that one. I will take input though. I just might not make huge changes this late in the game. 

But I got decals on!

IMG_7287_zpsrh2wxygj.jpg

IMG_7288_zpsypz3f3ux.jpg

Now I am using a Mig wash and I am taking my time. I counldnt decide which color (dark gray or a brownish) but I went with the brown 'modern vehicle' wash. I think it looks alright so far. 

IMG_7289_zpsxrmgfp46.jpg

And I have been making all of my progress usually after this guy goes down for bed. With little ones I have learned to stay with the smaller projects. Oh well. Its been fun!

IMG_7286_zpsemffvcv5.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone! I am not all the way done, I still have to install the gunsight.... Should have done that earlier. But I am ready to call it for the most part. 

I can never leave well enough alone so as I was wrapping up I decided that the decals around the gas caps on the wings did not go down well and there were some wrinkles. So I sanded them down then I ended up taking a lot of paint off. I also noticed that the glue melted part of the wing and I needed to fill that. I also noticed that the flat coat I used on those surfaces left a white sort of residue. All in all I was not happy with it. 

IMG_7298_zpsl7ui8s6a.jpg

But then I re-primed the wings in the areas where I lost the paint and then I went to work completely redoing the wings. I did let up around the star decal on the wings. I tried fading the paintwork a little more and I thought it turned out okay. I chose not to put another wash down (except around the panels to the guns) and I think that was a good call since I would just mess it up more. Again, not a perfect attempt but a therapeutic endeavor after a tough couple of months. I was able to get most of this done while rocking the baby with my foot to keep him asleep. 

IMG_7299_zpsukdvcopr.jpg

IMG_7300_zpso7j2kmrh.jpg

IMG_7301_zpsefrzs1kk.jpg

Twhite80,

Nice save on your Stang👍

Shes looking fine you just gotta fight threw some of those setbacks time to time 🙄.

Blessings to you and your family 🙏 

Keep those pic's ah coming 📸

Cheer,

Mr. Happy (In name only)