How to start the rumour mill for a S-64 Skycrane in 1/48th scale

Ok I can probably guess it is not on any manufacturer’s radar but you would think this would be something to think about wouldn’t you? It is so ungainly looking but also so beautiful.

It sure seems that the manufacturers are running out of helicopter subjects with broad interest. Ok lots of civilian helicopters they could do but come on, we all know military versions would sell. And even if they wanted to release it in civilian markings they could, including water bombers.

I still remember way back building the Revell 1/72nd kit. Loved, loved, loved the box art and built it right away. I don’t think I even painted it. That medical pod was pretty cool too and my Skycrane would swoop in and hook on to it until the tiny fragile hooks broke. Damn you Revell for in scale hooks!!! I think it also had a winch which I used to pick up stuff by turning the rotor head or is my memory failing me?

I also recall many years ago someone scratch built one in 1/48 and he had it at an IPMS USA Nats. Looked amazing. Hmmm maybe if I go get another Revell kit and build it another manufacturer would release a 1/48th kit? Always seem to happen with me :rolleyes: Anyway just hoping one day to see a kit of this before I go to the big hobby shop in the sky.

Edited by skyhawk174

An accurate 1/72 Skycrane would be really nice. Even if someone could produce a conversion set with a new accurate cockpit section that could be grafted onto the Revell fuselage. It is a really interesting helicopter that is rarely modeled, sadly.

500 Fan.

43 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Would love to have one in each scale.

Wow Ramon, can you imagine this thing in 1/35? It would be HUGEEE.

Rod.

jaja, yeah, in a diorama sling-loading a Chinook would be cool too!

-Ramon

2 hours ago, MoFo said:

It's not the 1/35 Skycrane that would be the problem.  It's the 1/35 CN Tower you'd have to build for the rest of the diorama.  :woot.gif:

Now that's funny Mike :rofl::rofl:

Imagine that in a model contest.

Judges please use 6' step ladder to judge S-64 please :woot.gif:

You'd need a 6' ladder to judge a 1/350 S-64.  For 1/35 it would take a scissor lift!  :woot.gif:  (srsly, it'd be about 52' tall +/- an S-64)

As a kid who grew up in the shadow of the tower though, that's the first image that comes to mind when anyone mentions a Skycrane.

1 hour ago, midnightprowler said:

How do you figure a 1/35 Skycrane would be 52' tall?:jaw-dropping:

A 1/35 diorama of the CN Tower with Skycrane, as shown in the picture above,  would be about 52' tall...

Wouldn't have to force perspective too much in such a diorama.

Helo's don't sell particularly well, especially when compared to grey jets or anything with a swastika.  Don't think we'll ever see a mainstream producer release this one.  In any scale.

BTW, that is an awesome model Hawkwrench, thanks for the link. 

Always liked the Skycrane, even though it was Army.  I used to see them all the time during high school flying here and there from Picatinny Arsennel.

You know, a Jolly Green Giant would be good too.

On 3/16/2017 at 6:08 PM, dnl42 said:

A 1/35 diorama of the CN Tower with Skycrane, as shown in the picture above,  would be about 52' tall...

Wouldn't have to force perspective too much in such a diorama.

Oh, ok, I thought you meant the skycrane. Oops.