Rhino Models 1/48 Super Hornet Intakes

Curious how they fit for real folks. I mean I see the ebay photo's but I am a skeptic of everything....  like most I'm not really looking to create more work for myself when what I want to do is make the build a bit easier. thanks for any input.:thumbsup:

they are nice and fit well , but masking the grey inside is a real pain .I think Two Mikes has some that only has the tunnels , they should be easy to mask .Anyone used Two Mikes ?

Andy

I've used both.

The Two Mikes intakes do avoid the need to mask the white/gray demarcation line, but need to be aligned absolutely perfectly with the forward part of the kit's intakes to get a seamless effect.

The Rhino intakes are tricky to mask properly but as there's no join between front and rear sections, there are no alignment issues.

Both sets fit very nicely into the kit fuselage and produce good results.

Keith

I used them in both a Hasegawa and a Hobby Boss Hornet... you need to do some filing on the top of the main gear well boxes (i.e. inside the fuselage) to get them to fit well.  I filed until the styrene was almost paper thin. One of them I did inflight, and just cut off the bear bay entirely. that was easier.

• 7 months later...
On 17.03.2017 at 12:08 PM, Piker38 said:

I've used both.

The Two Mikes intakes do avoid the need to mask the white/gray demarcation line, but need to be aligned absolutely perfectly with the forward part of the kit's intakes to get a seamless effect.

The Rhino intakes are tricky to mask properly but as there's no join between front and rear sections, there are no alignment issues.

Both sets fit very nicely into the kit fuselage and produce good results.

Keith

How did you mask that demercation line? That seems to be very painful. 

I painted and fixed the engine faces in place, then masked the intake demarcation line using Tamiya masking Tape for curves.

That type of Tamiya tape takes the bends well and the white plastic looks great without the need for paint - just a little weathering later on in the build

The masking was a little fiddly to do, but I did it all before installing the intakes on the model, which made it  much easier.