So I think it is time to introduce what I want to build for that GB. It will be the F-104G from Marineflieger but in the colorful livery of the "Viking" air demo team from the middle of the 80ies. When I was watching all the flying displays at open day from JG 74 in Neuburg/Donau in autumn 1986 and also admiring the fast show of the Vikings, I did not know that I was watching HISTORY as it was the last public perfomance of that demo team! I was just in the last year of high school and therefore a quite young man and already left the teenage modelling time behind. Not knowing that I will restart 20 years later.

I have the Hasegawa boxing of the Finkings Starfighter, DACO decal set and DACO upgrade set, all in 1/48. In addition a resin driver from PJ Productions.

33469560695_751572a298_z.jpg

When the Viking's Zipper was in action it was always in clear configuration and that makes the 104 look so rocket-like! 

And how to best capture that look? Well, gears in and fly! So my model will be made "in-flight". my first in-flight model ever.

So have to modify the kit to make an acrylic rod fit in the "fool". 

Here I found a video from a vikings flying display on Yju-tjub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQasfk3LcTw

only in the end 2 jets got the colorful scheme, The colors are the national colors of Schleswig Holnstein, a german province in the north.

Before they performed with the Starfighters in Norm 76 camo. Also during their tour through the USA. 

Their special breathtaking maneuver was the so called "head-on pass" and well, those were the good old days of real low passes!

A friend gave me his Starfighter books and now I can really understand why he is a F-104 fan and why that aircraft is so special.

books, books, books,....nooky booky?

32636377994_8acccaf814_n.jpg33096217850_c73eeed4a5_n.jpg32636382774_fb8b6bf4b6_n.jpg

and here is the book written from a former Zipper Jokey and member of the Vikings. Axel Ostermann:

33479757845_5e29779be4_z.jpg

Edited by tobiK

I started a bit on the cockpit. No resin tub as there will be a pilot in and the canopy closed. But I will use a Eduard HUD and the DACO pieces for canopy inside. 

To make life a bit easier I "borrowed" the IP decals from an Eduard Bundesfighter kit. They are much better than the decals from Revell or Hase box. They already have some colors, snuggle down perfectly and the instrument drawing also hit the plastic scribing (almost always)

Paint for the seat: Revell aquacolor, like almost.33486838755_7bbe171575_z.jpg

That is the extra thing when it comes to in-flight posing...hmm...do you think it can work? Taking the Dremel and make the Fuselage parts as thin as possible. Seal the seams 100% (or put in a rubber bladder?) and fill it with helium??

So no stand or stick in the "a..s" needed!

;-)

Edited by tobiK

Awesome video !

When I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath from 82-84 the German 104s would come in, stop for a while, refuel and take off ....they were soooooooooo loud !

Loved it when our load crew would be working EOR and we would have an up close and personal view of them coming and going.

Great start on your build too !

-Scott

33153417480_aec424ac5a.jpg

I heard about that magnet construction a few weeks ago. But also that the model with the magnet stand does not exist anymore...hmm...maybe not waterproof??

I will go a traditional way and scratch something out of evergreen tube, plastic (former credit) cards and acrylic clear rod. The rod is only 6mm in diameter so I hope it is strong but fine enough not to disturb the static display too much.

Next I will show you the mounting construction.

Meanwhile I had a look at the pilot: it is really nice casted, has speedjeans, right helmet (even German Marine still had the Guineau helmet until the end of F-104 service), BUT the driver must have been made for the C-2 seat. Why? He has the parachute on his back! The Mb Mk.7 seat has the chute in the seat. So what to do? Even I cut off the resin rucksack from the pilot, the harness will still be for the C-2 seat and the parapack.

Or should I remove the chute, put the driver in the Mb seat and call it "modelling freedom"???

Edited by tobiK

32626030244_9c69164a13.jpg

So here the istalled mount for the clear acrylic rod. I had to drill out the nozzle conus. But the flameholder still fits and can be seen.

The main gear wells already glued and sanded so the fuselage will close without gaps. Still thinking about what to do with the Pilot...

• 3 weeks later...

Lately I was busy with the Zipper Jockey. Hard to find a good Pilot in 1/48 for the small 104 cockpit. My choice was a guy from PJ Production. Very nice resin casting, figur consists of several parts to be glued. Unfortunately he is perfectly designed for the C-2 seat! But...the MB seat has the chute integrated. So I decided to cut off the resin chute from the back of the pilot and hope nobody will notice the probably no so correct harness.

He is looking to the right side and has his hands somewhere in the cockpit, more a kind of relaxed. Seams to wait for something or...

In my case the driver needs to have his hands on the controls because he has the command over a fast flying jet! So I took the arms of a Hasegawa Phantom pilot, cut them in more pieces and put it all together so that it looks good to me. Using CA glue and copper wire to connect the body parts and magic sculp epoxy putty to fill the "wounds". 

So here he is, the scale prototype of Kpt.Lt. Axel Ostermann. Now we call him "Axel".

34184626815_1e8cf3eda1_z.jpg

34027301812_4b818309b9_z.jpg

Edited by tobiK

Meanwhile Axel got a alcohol shower, brush scrub and had an afternoon in the wellness lounge where he got a treatment with whitening lotion.

(Means: Mr base white 1000). So he is well prepared for his orange flight suit.

Here in the close up you can see the resin imperfections of Axel...

33866355000_b02e6d21bb_z.jpg

Next step is put color on him: sure, flight suit is orange, speed jeans - nato green /olive/khaki, gloves - bluegrey, helmet - white, boots - black.

But I have no idea about the color of the Marineflieger MB seat harness!!? Also the mask with oxy tube! (also olive green? or dark grey? or...?)

So if anyone has knowledge about it or a usefull pic, please help me.