A-7 Corsair FS

Interesting picture. There are some lighting/exposure issues going on. If you look at the VA-203 jet, it looks very bluish, until you look at the wing, which has the correct brown hues. The strange one is the VA-205 jet. That looks really dark, while the jet just in front of it has a lighter color. 

I agree.

It's hard to match colors from photos.  There's a right mixture of light sources in this image.

The cooler light from a flash-gun seems to be affecting the foreground, with some overhead (tungsten?) lighting producing warmer tones further back.

There might even be some natural daylight coming in from the right, too.

Compare the apparent tone of the upper surfaces of AF300 in the foreground.

The far wing-tip (folded) shows the same color differently to the vertical tail of the same jet, because of different lighting.

Keith

Don't think there is any flash involved here, but daylight coming in through the open elevator door. The tail of the 300 bird is lit predominantly by daylight (cool or bluish), the top of the bird and the folded right wing get the ceiling lights (warm or reddish; looks like a mix of fluorescent and sodium vapor?). The 413 bird has more of an even mix of all the lighting, while the 05 bird (505?) is in the shadow of the 500(?) bird on the right. This is all due to light source and shadow, not paint/weathering variation. Also notice the gray on all of these birds is glossy, so that would put the time period to be mid- to late-1970s (I think). Anybody know what carrier had VA-203, VA-204, and VA-205 together in the air wing? Interesting.

Edited by Paul Boyer

Paul, since there were only two Reserve cruises with all three being A-7Bs, that should be either the Independence in later 1978, or the Carl Vinson in mid 1982. The fighters would be F-4Ns on those cruises. (I checked the BuNos that we can see, all three were A-7B)

Some ship history buff could probably ID whether that is a Forrestal class or Nimitz class hangar deck from the walls and doors shown in that photo.

Gents,

I do not think there are any lighting or photographic artifacts in that photo.  Keep in mind that manufacturers are given a wide latitude when producing paint to the FS specifications: 10% plus or minus on any parameter.  So a batch from a manufacturer might be 10% too light, too dark, too much (or too little) of any primary color, or combination of colors, and still conform to the specification. And a 10% difference on any given parameter is a HUGE difference in the resulting color relative to the standard.  So I think what you are seeing in the photo is just a graphic example of how different  various batches of the same FS color can be.  I certainly noticed this many times during my 8 years in Naval Aviation.

Cheers,

Tom

27 minutes ago, Superheat said:

Gents,

I do not think there are any lighting or photographic artifacts in that photo.  Keep in mind that manufacturers are given a wide latitude when producing paint to the FS specifications: 10% plus or minus on any parameter.  So a batch from a manufacturer might be 10% too light, too dark, too much (or too little) of any primary color, or combination of colors, and still conform to the specification. And a 10% difference on any given parameter is a HUGE difference in the resulting color relative to the standard.  So I think what you are seeing in the photo is just a graphic example of how different  various batches of the same FS color can be.  I certainly noticed this many times during my 8 years in Naval Aviation.

Cheers,

Tom

Disagree. Take a closer look at the bird on the left. The color of the top of the wing (and the folded right tip) is quite warm but the fuselage side goes gradually cooler (bluer) as you go aft. That's because it is receiving its light from outside the hangar - daylight. Look at the 05 bird back in the shadows. Look how warm the white rudder is compared with the cooler white rudder on the 413 bird. No, this is all light, believe me.