u.s. f-84d sabre dog landing gear wells color

hi  guys.

i've been surfing the net very long and still i am in doubt.

ok: the doors are silver. that's for sure.

i've seen pics of the wheel wells painted silver and other interior green in modeling reviews.

i've seen pics of a real f-84d landing gear wells in a sort of bronze green, but it was a danish or -i've seen too many- a dutch aircraft.

do someone of you have already confronted with and solved this dilemma?

thank you for any hint.:wave:

thank you very much cueva, but this is the f-84 K  and is the dutch aircraft i had seen, and to me this looks much more like some sort of bronze green rather than the usual zinc chromate green...

you sure that export aircrafts had the same finish of the u.s.a.f. ones?

thanks for answering this question.

greetings, bobo.

thanks a lot airmech. you sound quite authoritative in your answer, and sure of yourself.

i guess you know first hand?

so it will be zinc chromate green... :-)

ciao. bobo.

p.s. : just out of curiosity, what of this pic of a dutch -k? : https://www.google.com/search?q=f-86d+sabre&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwip5rD9hd_SAhUM72MKHQXcBdEQ_AUICCgB&biw=1344&bih=677&dpr=1.25#imgdii=wgQ51dCG2_LxpM:&imgrc=OJgpYjhQKUQB7M:

cheers. bobo.

The photo looks a lot like Dull Dark Green.  DDG seemed to be pretty common on North American Aviation products from the late 1940s through the 1950s.  The paint shop still had some on hand when I worked for NAA during the mid 1960s.

HTH, Dave

DDG never had an FS number given to it.  Most people seem to use USAF EuroGreen to simulate the color.  White Ensign made DDG in their paint line which was a pretty good match.  There is also a color card image of DDG in the pinned topics in the prop forum.  HTH, Dave

thank you dave.

i thought too of europe green, which i had at its time elected, after many trials of different brands, as "bronze green" for the tamiya's 1/48 f-4f4 wildcat cockpit.

white ensign i have only heard of, and to my knowledge it is not available here in italy nor from other polish or czeck online stores where i get the much yearned for model master acrylics.

i don't know why, in italy there's plenty of mm eneamels, but it's dificult to find the acrylics...so that i get them from east europe...and i save on shipping, too!

nevertheless, airmechaja firmly says "green zinc chromate", and hasn't commented as yet the link to the dutch f-86k i have submitted to him...he sounds so sure of his assertion...

on the other hand you almost "smelled" the paint at n.a.a. so...am i to flip a coin?...

have a nice sunday. bobo.

p.s.: sorry, dave, but as a newbie i don't know what the acronym HTH stands for...? thanks. b.

While I learned a long time ago to never say never when it comes to paint topics, in my personal experience, I have not seen pure green zinc cromate used in a wheel well.  Now, that should promptly bring out some photos.  When the paint shop talked about using green zinc cromate, they were talking about using tinted green zinc cromate which is another term for interior green.  Some publications also refer to green zinc cromate when talking about tinted green zinc cromate.  For a USAF F-86d, my choice would be dull dark green or a very dark interior green for the wheel wells.

HTH = Hope This Helps.  Dave

ok. dave. thank you: this makes sense.

i have found a ddg from mr. paint, a slovak (?) new brand.

though, i also thought that all in all, the surface to cover, and  by the way rather seldom to be seen, is very small in the hasegawa 1/72 sabre dog.

so i think that i will resort to using the good ol' euro 1 green i alredy have in store, rather than stopping the building for the time necessary for delivery.

i have compared the colors, and on my monitor the difference is really a hue.

as i said, it would matter more if it were on a more extended and visible surface, but as it is i believe that wisdom is with the above.

TAL (Tkanks A Lot)...:-D

have a nice time, and good modeling! bobo.