Gentlemen,

I picked up an Academy F-111C (with the updated parts) for a really good price at the Atlanta IPMS show last weekend and have a question. Can this kit be built as an F-111E of F? If so, what exactly needs to be done? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

Dave the C had the longer wings so you really can't do a  E or F. I'm sure there are other differences but the main thing is the wings.

edit: there is some useful info here:

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.ca/2017/03/general-dynamics-f-111afb-111af-111e.html

mainly drawings including the wings, both short and longer versions, in case you want to do some some surgery.

Jari

Edited by Finn

The F-111C is essentially an F-111A with long wings. Building it as an -E, or -F, model would entail lots of work, especially when there are kits available to make those marks OOB. The biggest modification would entail changing the intakes to make the -E and -F, and adding a Pave Tack pod if you were doing an -F. My recommendation is to make it either a -C model, or an -A model by shortening the wings. Otherwise, buy another kit to do the -E or -F. Sometimes a bargain means lots of work. FYI: I worked avionics on the old -A models at Nellis.

In terms of the kit, all I think you really need is short wings, I seem to recall the kit comes with both Triple Plow I and Triple Plow II intakes (though they are very poorly appointed) . If you do an F, you need different exhaust cans, but you'd probably have to source from the hobby boss kit or aftermarket to find those, the Academy F-111F boxing used the A-E exhaust cans (they aren't wildly different from a distance, but hey...)

Zone-Five has a pretty good F-111 thread. In a nutshell (leaving aside the F-111B):

Long wings were exclusive to FB-111A/F-111G & F-111C

Triple Plow I intakes were used by the F-111A, F-111C and the first two FB-111As.

All F-111s save the F-111F had the same exhaust nozzle configuration.

All F-111s save the FB-111A had the same general boattail configuration.

Only F-111Fs and F-111Cs used the PAVE Tack pod.

The intakes on the Academy kit are acceptable (more or less) for the Triple Plow I configuration. The parts for the Triple Plow II configuration assume the only difference was the removal of the rectangular splitter panel. This is incorrect; the TP2 inlet spike was 18" longer. D-Mold does an excellent set of TP2 inlets although they aren't spaced outboard far enough (3" more than TP1).

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the help. OzMods will take take care of the wing issue and DMold addresses the intake issue. I plan on doing an F-111E from Desert Storm using the Afterburner sheet, so I am pretty set knowing what I need to acquire. Again, thank you!

Dave

Dave,

I would recommend you pick up a verlinden "F-111F" detail set. The cockpit is actually based on the Es at UH, and it includes the correct ALQ-131 w/ pylon you'll need for an ODS bird. I'd recommend you get some resin wheels too, as they're a big feature of the Vark, and the kit wheels are garbage. 

Finally, the verlinden lock-on book has some good pics of Es, including cockpit.

cheers,

Mike

Edited by longmc