Norm83 Jabog32 Tornado (1/48 Revell)

i've done some work on the intakes, to make them more "squarish" (sharp edges, straights lines...when it should...)

i'm  not experimented with the use of CA glue as seam filler... i'd give it a try, but wasn't all that comfortable with the technique, so i didn't do all the filling that way. (but on the larger gap, that's what i've used... i also used gel CA as filler in order to make intake lips straight) little use of tamiya putty also, when there was unwanted "steps".

DSCN0630_zpshzmc2yu2.jpg

DSCN0629_zpstr6rvi4u.jpg

DSCN0627_zpsdxplvols.jpg

DSCN0626_zpsd2iwusqg.jpg

DSCN0624_zpsb31gemzb.jpg

progress where also done in the fuselage assembly... but there's some major seams to fill... that should be done later this week...

just because the kit itself didn't get me enough trouble... :rofl:...i decided to "correct" a minor shape issue at the roots of the tail... the kit's tail have some "pinching" at the tail root... where there shouldn't. (i also have thinned the top of the tail...but havent taken picture of that area)

DSCN0621_zps8bapipzp.jpg

i have used the Tamiya "light-curing" putty to do so. (i had that stuff in my reserve for years... i decide to used it for the first time. it was a rather pleasant experience. even if i'm not a great sculptor!)

DSCN0613_zpsfuunlme4.jpg

it's not perfect, but it's going in the right direction... i'll have to smooth the surface and rescibe some details...  

DSCN0608_zpsvxtudfio.jpg

getting the shape symmetrical on both sides have proven being more complicated than originally thought...  i'm 90% there... still some fiddling to do...

btw, the tail is not glued-on there yet, it is not completed... i was just trying to improve... my scratchbuilding skills! (which aren't that great, but i nonetheless find it more and more pleasurable!)

thank you for stopping by, and leave a comment!

have a nice modelling time!

cheers

Simon

Edited by mingwin

Nice job, there!

I just spent the last 10 minutes tring to find out why the tail base looks odd.

You might want to check that leading edge in front and below of that small air scoop on the tail. It should be a straight line. You've got a cruve in there.That's what's making it look strange. However, already a thousand times better than the original kit part.

20 hours ago, Lancer512 said:

Nice job, there!

I just spent the last 10 minutes tring to find out why the tail base looks odd.

You might want to check that leading edge in front and below of that small air scoop on the tail. It should be a straight line. You've got a cruve in there.That's what's making it look strange. However, already a thousand times better than the original kit part.

thanks for your comment, and appreciate. i did try to correct the slight curve at the LE of the wingroot. not as easy as it seems, as i have to make sure the symmetry of the shape. 

one of the thing that makes the whole thing look a bit strange, is that whole area is plain wrong on the kit.  it's small shapes issue put together make the "APU cooling box"(?if it's that, not sure of the name) too big,thick,wide, also too rounded... for a Luftwaffe Tornado, at least! (because there might be differences on various variants and upgrades program)

21 hours ago, Crazy Snap Captain said:

Nice one mate. Not sure if I can pull that off, but you've planted a seed... Damn you!!! 😁 

thanks.

i'm not a super great scratchbuilding guy, and i'm facing many challenge, even for such minor shape correction... been on that the last few model sessions.

if you can live with the kit part as it is...and not feel too bothered, i'll recommend to leave it as it is... or maybe, just sand a little the cooling box to give it a slightly better shape.

on my side, i just can't let the parts as they where... i had to... but it's my problem... (i'm not just whining about new kit's shape issues in the jet modelling forum... i try to correct them whenever i can when i build them...)

while giving a try at rescribing the lost details, using photos as a reference, i've realized that the bottom of the exhaust should have been lined up with the top of the spine. that little 1,5 mm difference change the LE angle of the tail below the intake... in short, if one wanted a 100% shapewize accurate tail, it better start from scratch and not use the kit's part as basis, like i did...

that being said, the result is acceptable. 

DSCN0641_zpsmgxxu6bf.jpg

DSCN0644_zpsllq0o6y8.jpgDSCN0645_zpsqpuei6ij.jpg

DSCN0649_zpszz8otxma.jpg

Man! You really like stony ways, ya!? But I appreciate your effort you show us here, so we can learn and watch.

Myself, I would have not realized that there would be a shape issue. Well, I am not so deep into the Toni project.

Wasn't there a fin correction set from Paragon for the Tornado? I know, It was for the Italeri kit. Not sure if it can beuseful here, too?

About me, I always think how to make the missing mechanic between the afterburners that does the stearing of the the thrust reversing. Revell just forgot to make these parts....

You've done a great job with the correction and it looks great. From the side, it looks spot on. The exhaust seems to be in the correct place. At leat according the the drawings in the AirDoc book. I will put this on my list of corrections for this kit, as I only have 3 IDS and one GR.4 in the stash :-)

thank you guys for your kind comments and support.

i was aware of the paragon set for the italeri kit.(when doing my research for this build, i've learn about the existence of that set... but haven't been able to find it... and i guess i would have found it expensive for such little improvement , if it ever has fit...)

i'm for sure no expert in the Toni... neither that great at interpreting shapes from photography, nor a great scratchbuilder...  but it's smithing that one becomes a blacksmith.

don't show me any photos of the mechanism you're writing about please!:rofl:hopefully not see-able when thrust reverters  aren't used?

Lancer512, i think you're right on the exhaust thing (airdoc drawings) ...i have missed the little kink down at the rear of the line that separates the tail root from the spine. 

i guess i could be good to work at Hobby Boss now... correcting other's errors...while adding new ones of my own creation...:rolleyes:...anyway, i'll add some rivets and try to call it done... for now...

if Quickboost or Wolfpack have offered something in that area (the whole tail) i would have buy it for sure... 

16 hours ago, tobiK said:

I always think how to make the missing mechanic between the afterburners that does the stearing of the the thrust reversing. Revell just forgot to make these parts....

Aren't they in Step 55 of the instructions? Okay.. Doesn't look like a pinion. Or what do you mean by "forgot to make". I am sure pinions or sprockets can be scavenged from HO scale model railroad equipment or something like that.

RevellTornado_Reversers.jpg

5 hours ago, tobiK said:

Hmm...I remember somebody asked about nozzle pics of the Toni:

34205329365_69d653e72e_z.jpg

ouch!:doh: this would require something like 2 mm sprockets... 4 of them! watch wheels i've seen so far are around 6$ a piece... a bit pricey. dunno if i'll be able to address this issue... i'll keep it in mind in the next days...in hope to find a cheaper/more immediate solution...

Edited by mingwin

haven't solve the sprocket detail thing yet... 

but i have played with paint instead... which makes some change from last week fiddling with files...

not exactly happy as the look is not quite realistic...but doesn't look all that bad either.

i've take some photos... zoomed 10X...and crude flash... that look gross...  but the fact is...

DSCN0652_zpsyndghybb.jpg

that they look better "in real"... a bit more like on the photo without the camera flash.

DSCN0650_zps6cda0ka8.jpg

so i haven't acheive the finish i'd wish on the burner cans... i'll sleep on this and look at them tomorrow...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by mingwin

have done a dirt wash to the whole thing this morning...  not perfect, but i think i'll call it done for this area ( i'll just have to remove some 2 or 3 small dust filaments on the edge of the cans)

here is the result under natural lightning (it's rainy/cloudy outside)

DSCN0680_zpscskdrf11.jpg

DSCN0685_zpswaf7p5qz.jpg

DSCN0690_zpsujekho0t.jpg

thank's for the visit!

see you soon.

cheers

Simon

It slowly take shape, it begins to look like a Tornado to me...

i have glued the tail (had to work a little to make the spine-to-tail joint smooth.)

the stabilators (i broke one of the installation pin, be careful, without them, it's hard to get the right anhedral and angle)

the nosecone (mine have leave some undesired seam and irregular "step" on both sides (nose cone or fuselage) it was very small thing, but it was creating some undesired too pronounced kink in the area)

DSCN0699_zpssddqgygn.jpg

DSCN0702_zps7zla5dst.jpg

DSCN0707_zpsh1urvc58.jpg

thanks for your visit!

feel free to leave comments.

have a nice modelling time!

cheers

Simon

you guys in germany have a very special way to create words/names.:thumbsup2: (no matter if it got more letters than the alphabet!) ...i guess that this very special spirit dictate also the tendency to do EPIC special schemes on aircraft!:woot.gif: ...if it was a world contest, you'd win that hands down! (i'd love an Oktober fest/ idol master mistress theme crossover scheme the next time!:cheers:)

• 2 weeks later...

the kit has its own challenge... but seems like it's not enough for me, i realized that i've inverted the stabilators (how dumb:doh:) ...so i have to remove brake them away...

i took the opportunity to do something i've seen before but never have done myself yet : replaced the stabilator pivots with metal tubing. cleaned the area, drilled holes, cut needles the required length... 

DSCN0709_zps77munbr1.jpg

i didn't take much photos of the following assembly, sorry...

but now everything is fine in the stab area...