Best way to work with Master aftermarket) pitot tubes?

I have a question for those out there in Model Land who have used one of the Master (and other brand) aftermarket metal pitot tubes. I like the looks of these and have ordered a few for future builds. Most of the ones I received are in the original brass color. To make them look more like the original silver/steel color, they need to be painted. What is the best option? Should the pitot tube be painted separately and then added to the model in a final step or should they be added earlier, then masked and painted during the build? As these are usually rather small, I can see challenges in both methods. What have you found to be the best way to use the aftermarket pitot tubes?

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:

I always add anything that sticks out at the end. Cuts down on the random hits. I'll drill the holes before painting and then either stick a toothpick in the hole or clean it out later with a pin vise depending on the phase of the moon. A AOA indicator, like in the F-16, is robust and I'll mount and paint in place.

BTW, the Master pitots are a·maz·ing!

My first was for the MiG-21MF. The DUAS vanes had "pins" that mounted into holes drilled into the pitot. So much nicer than the Academy metal pitot, which expected you to butt-join the DUAS vanes. Yoiks! I just recently got the pitot and mg set for the Mi-24, and Master improved them even further, with a 1-piece DUAS vane assembly.

Thanks dn142! I have been going back and forth between adding them early and having to mask off the pitot tube then paint or painting it without losing the small piece and adding them later. It looks like a case by case basis on the best option.

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:

The later the better. Even a metal pitot can suffer when you smash your kit to the floor. 

I add it quite late. But the end of the konus and the plastic nose often has to be filled and sanded. So you should not see where your metal part is starting. It is a bit similar to front windshields...there should be no seam where the clear part ends.

Usually I take cyano glue to fill the seam and then I sand it wet.

With silver paint?

I guess you could use a metal etching primer if you're really worried about chipping, but it's not like the pitot is going to be handled, so normal masking/painting would apply.

The pitots I work with are usually for 1/32 and slightly larger but the same ideas should apply. As always - be careful you don't stab yourself and I generally work against the wall or something just in case something flies out of my hand it doesn't get lost. 

I generally get the hole or mount for the pitot drilled/sized up perfectly before painting to minimize refinishing. 

Whether it's chopping an existing plastic one off or drilling a new hole. Drill a smaller hole first, then gradually test fit and widen the hole til the fit is snug.

For the pitot itself, I generally give it a very very light sanding with a micromesh pad (something like...6000 or 8000 grit). This doesn't scuff the surface but keys the smooth brass just enough such that a gloss black primer will stick to it - then the coming NMF will stick to that too. 

As for attachment, I tend to avoid CA for the mess and "ping". I usually use white glue, let it "set up" a little so it's more gooey. Press the piece in, let the glue ooze out between the seam, let it sit for a moment then clean the excess with a wet Q-tip.