Hasegawa F9F-2 Panther

Since I just wrapped up my Airfix TBD-1 Devastator, I've decided to pull the Hasegawa F9F-2 Panther out of the stash.  This particular one is the Hasegawa/Minicraft boxing of the original 1978 kit.  It's very simple, without many parts.  I'm going to build it as Blue Angel #5.  Unfortunately, the decals feel very dried out and brittle, so I'm going to try coating them.  We'll see how things turn out!

DSC08925_zpsmsybr1hd.jpg

Mike

I was thinking about building that kit - I have some photo-etch upgrades, but really think they won't make much difference. It has been on the shelf long enough to accumulate an impressive level of dust. I will watch your build with interest...you have a fine, steady hand, to quote the immortal Barry Fitzgerald.

16 hours ago, STEN8 said:

I was thinking about building that kit - I have some photo-etch upgrades, but really think they won't make much difference. It has been on the shelf long enough to accumulate an impressive level of dust. I will watch your build with interest...you have a fine, steady hand, to quote the immortal Barry Fitzgerald.

Thanks!  I actually pulled the other boxing I have of this kit out of the stash for a side-by-side build.

DSC08930_zpst2v3wzzx.jpg

Some interior paintwork...

DSC08926_zpsm2ldugsc.jpg

Cockpits.  The old dried out decals worked, but I had to soak them for about 5 minutes in very hot water.  Even then it took some serious tugging with a tweezers to get them to release from the paper.  I'm worried about the larger "Blue Angels" decals.

DSC08929_zpsnfslwdom.jpg

All closed up!

DSC08931_zpspn4dzjcb.jpg

Mike

Thanks Martin!

Working on the wings today.  You can see they're on one (as well as the nose cone).  Some clamping was necessary to keep things together while the cement set.

DSC08932_zpsyxwxj1cl.jpg

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Wings on, intakes fitted, and horizontal stabilizers on.

DSC08935_zpsiiinjq1u.jpg

Ran into some fit issues underneath, but nothing a bit of Tamiya putty and some wet-sanding couldn't quickly solve.

DSC08934_zpsfidsvxib.jpg

In the paint booth for the leading edges...

DSC08938_zpsccqhcucb.jpg

Mike

Here's the Blue Angel one, all painted with "Blue Angel Blue".

DSC08941_zps2nzrqm9d.jpg

Unfortunately, the decals are indeed shot.  Although the small decals for the cockpit worked, the larger decals for the rest of the plane were just way to dried out.  There was actually no way to separate them from the paper.

I've ordered another kit with these decals, so here's hoping i get a better batch!

Mike

19 hours ago, Grandboof said:

If you have any further problems let me know I have the same kit in my stash and won't be using the Angels option Happy to send them to you if that helps 

Martin H

Wow that's very generous of you!  The kit I ordered from E-bay just arrived, so I'll give the decals a try this weekend.  Hopefully I won't need to take you up on your offer!

MIke

• 2 weeks later...

All done!  The additional kit I ordered came with workable decals. 

DSC08944_zpsr2e59rwc.jpg

DSC08945_zpsdiov716j.jpg

DSC08946_zpssfobldmw.jpg

DSC08949_zpsdx3cf1sz.jpg

DSC08948_zpsk2o2peut.jpg

Paint used was Model Master Acryl "Blue Angel Blue" while the leading edges of the wings are Vallejo Metal Color "Duraluminum".

Thanks for looking!
Mike

• 2 weeks later...

And here's the other Panther!

DSC08951_zpsptyqnnzg.jpg

DSC08950_zps0jtc0qad.jpg

DSC08952_zpsqx0orce0.jpg

DSC08953_zpsob4bq55u.jpg

DSC08954_zpspuy5y1wz.jpg

Although there were some fit problems on the undersides of both, the Hasegawa F9F-2 is a nice little kit!

Mike