Academy T-50,F/A-50 Markings

Folks,

Has anyone seen any marking sheets for the 1/48 Academy kit on the T-50 or F/A-50 yet ?  I know the Phillipine Air Force has started taking delivery, and several others have shown interest. I have yet to even see any sheets for operational KAF Squadrons. Considering this one is also in the running for the USAF new trainor contract, it could get interesting. Any comments on the kit itself ?  I have the kit, and it seems quite decent to me ... but I'm definitely not a rivet counter.  Any comments out there ?  

It's an excellent kit, very nicely detailed. Unfortunately it only builds the T-50, and not the FA-50 that had export success. The two variants have slight differences in the tail tips, gun fairing etc. Probably a very easy conversion for anyone with basic skills and a spare F-16 tail lying around.

I have a sheet completely drawn and scaled, with several marking options, ready to go the instant Academy decides to tool the additional parts and release the kit as a FA-50.

Edited by KursadA

Kursad,

First, thank you for the info. I've worked quite a few times with your decals and always found them to be of tremendous quality. I will say I'm glad you have some things ready to go for the FA-50, T-50, etc. Since I would say I might have some basic skills, and a few F-16's lying around, I guess I will have to start doing some research to see where the differences are. I will say I am looking forward to your sheets coming out. Also on another subject ... the EMB-314 Super Tucano ...I realize FCM is supposed to be doing a sheet 2 for the Super Tucano, but any chance of you jumping in there with some of the newer operators ?

Edited by Trash hauler

Kursad

Thanks for the news. I bought the Academy kit as soon as it came out but I think I should have waited for the FA-50. Although maybe I should just do a what-if and be done. Not too keen on the scheme that came in the box.

\

11 minutes ago, aircal62 said:

My what if using parts for a Caracal T-38 sheet, build about a year ago before changes were made to the USAF T-50 contender.  

There you are - I apparently already made appropriate decals without even knowing ;-) This looks great, thanks for sharing! 

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the info and pics !!!  At present, I'm finishing a Super Tucano in Mauritanian Air Force markings. But digging through the T-50 kit I have, it looks to me the gun mod for the port side is already included, just not spoken of in the directions. Of Course, now I've got to research that "F-16 Tail" and see what I can do. Really just love modeling the smaller Air Forces of the world !  Keep 'em coming, Gang !

1 hour ago, aircal62 said:

My what if using parts for a Caracal T-38 sheet, build about a year ago before changes were made to the USAF T-50 contender.  

IMG_0269.jpg

Exactly like this is what I'm planning. Just like the one found here; http://www.combataircraft.net/2016/11/22/lockheed-martin-begins-t-50a-flight-ops-at-greenville/

Folks,

Just a quick update on this thread. Kursad is quite correct. I had a Hasegawa Late (F-16CJ) in my stash, so for the heck of it, I checked the tail. Comparing with late model FA-50's it seems like an easy mod to accomplish. The Hasegawa F-16 tail even has a panel line at the forward end of the Fuselage/tail blend. Seems like a simple mod to cut the assembly there, blend in the "hump", and you have quite a good representation of the FA-50's. The kit already has the gun vents in the kit - just not required for the T-50, so not mentioned. So other than some markings (South Korea,Indonesia,Thailand,Phillippines,and later this month, Iraq) , a different bird can be added to the collection. Just a few thoughts for those who like to model small Air Forces.