is useing a aother molders idea wrong

I don't think so. I have learned a lot by looking at what other people did and trying it and adapting it to what I want to build and use that idea for. And sometimes you can find a better way to go about something and improve upon it and give that knowledge back to the modeling community. Its not like you are giving away the secret to the Coke Cola recipe.

Using each other's ideas is why they are posted in the first place.

Now, I will grant that a specific project idea would be very disappointing to see modeled by someone else, faster than I could get mine done.

But, people share tips and techniques all of the time. And I don't see very many "that is my own secret method" posts when someone asks "how did you do that, it looks great?"

Only if it's Werner Molders. ;)

But seriously, it's not like you're copying somebody else's parts to make resin copies for sale or anything. 

Sharing of ideas is one thing that lets us all develop as craftsmen and craftswomen.

I would hope not. Personally I am a modelling technique sponge. Always soaking up different ways of doing things. Of course then the problem becomes remembering to actually use them when the time comes.

One of my favourite things to do with my 1/48 fighters is turn the nose wheel. I remember seeing that done at some model show and thought it looked great. Gave the model a better sense of not being a static model. Or at least I thought so. A perfect example of this would be the nose gear on the He 219. Seen many pictures in books of the aircraft parked with the nose wheel turned. Looked great so now I do that.

using another modeler's idea certainly not wrong... but something that would be great is to edit this thread title, and correct all those typo... man it's such a pain, just to see that while scrolling the general discussion forum!

3 hours ago, mingwin said:

using another modeler's idea certainly not wrong... but something that would be great is to edit this thread title, and correct all those typo... man it's such a pain, just to see that while scrolling the general discussion forum!

Ask me if I care. Relax. Was probably written late at night. Everybody wants to be offended by something. Sheeesh

9 hours ago, MacStingy said:

Ask me if I care. Relax. Was probably written late at night. Everybody wants to be offended by something. Sheeesh

so you wanted to be offended because i was asking the OP to take a few seconds to correct the thread title because it was barely readable?

everybody can make typo. it's even more common with those smartphones being used everywhere.

even if English is not my native language, and that nearly no one use it around me, i try my best not doing too much mistakes.

and if it's happening, i'll edit to correct. someone can even point out my "bad english" i won't be offended. 

it might have something to do with my education... (in this case, 3 out of 7 words are wrong...in a rather dyslexic fashion...)

BTW Dean, disregard  my comment if you have any dyslexia/writing troubles/health issues, that could affect your ability to write. didn't wanted to be arsh on you...(nothing personal there!, if i could have edited the thread title myself, i would have done it without bothering you!)

Edited by mingwin
1 hour ago, mingwin said:

the edit function can be 

so you wanted to be offended because i was asking the OP to take a few seconds to correct the thread title because it was barely readable?

everybody can make typo. it's even more common with those smartphones being used everywhere.

even if English is not my native language, and that nearly no one use it around me, i try my best not doing too much mistakes.

and if it's happening, i'll edit to correct. someone can even point out my "bad english" i won't be offended. 

it might have something to do with my education... (in this case, 3 out of 7 words are wrong...in a rather dyslexic fashion...)

No offense, but are you sure you're really from Canada? Most Canadians are totally chilled-out nice people. Just sayin'

Nah, we are taxed too much too be nice anymore. And you "mericans keep sending us all YOUR refugees. We are getting cranky.

And I agree, use whatever you see. How do you think medications improve. You take an object and make it better by adding or subtracting......

Use what ever you find, but Habu said, I might thank the originator of an idea. Always give credit where it is due.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Nah, we are taxed too much too be nice anymore. And you "mericans keep sending us all YOUR refugees. We are getting cranky.

Well, you could always build a wall...and make US pay for it!. :thumbsup: :cheers:

I agree, use away but if you can, give credit where credit is due. Surely don't say "I came up with this GREAT idea..." if you borrowed it. 

Bill

Since we are talking about borrowing techniques, I remember a modeller from a club I belonged to many years ago. This was before I moved to another city but no matter. Anyway we had never seen this guy and somehow he heard about our model club and came out. He had some very nice 1/35th armour models but they sure looked familiar. Then it clicked. They were done in the Verlinden "style". We did ask him and sure enough that was his inspiration. He had all of the Verlinden books and he basically took that info and painted his models.

I also think it is easy to say that I copied someone but just because you see something it may still be difficult to exactly copy that technique due to your skills and tools you use. Well that is my thoughts anyway.

On 3/22/2017 at 7:21 AM, mingwin said:

Dean's writing has been put into question a few times, because more often than not it's pretty hard to understand some of his post. But IIRC he has mentioned before he's had a stroke, and as such he has impaired speech or linguistics.

Edited by Inquisitor
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:45 AM, MacStingy said:

I'm a total tramp. I'll use anything I can get my hands on. I'm only here to use you guys for my own selfish reasons.....wha ha ha!

hahahaha, me too!

6 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

Dean's writing has been put into question a few times, because more often than not it's pretty hard to understand some of his post. But IIRC he has mentioned before he's had a stroke, and as such he has impaired speech or linguistics.

someone has kindly (really kindly) informed me about that matter. i wasn't aware...(and, it might not translate well in English words, but i was somewhat light-hearted when i wrote my first comment (others after where really offended, but not me, because it has to be learn in little school, anybody can correct you if you make one...when an adult does the errors just a kid should do... but it seems that some guys think it is normal to let down and not care about typo, grammar, syntax, culture, thinking...) ), because to me such typo was a bit too much...a bit like when Homer Simpson have some of his brain damage episodes... but now realize that it was misplaced because it might have hurt the feelings of someone who really have to cope with consequences of seizure. and that was not my intention) 

and that's why i edited my other message with a bold message to Dean's intention.

Edited by mingwin

More than one of my silly ideas came from serious modellers. Sometimes I'm not sure if they would want me to acknowledge them. :P

If I can remember who came up with it, I usually try to credit them for the idea. Sometimes it's been so long from when I saw it to when I build it I can't remember. In the end, nobody who posts anything on the internet should have any expectation the concept is theirs alone any more. General politeness would say you should give them credit for the idea,

Alvis 3.1