Anyone use the Aires Cockpit with Trumpeter F-106A?

So has anyone installed the Aires cockpit into a Trumpeter F-106A? I have both, and Aires instructions lack good pics. There are shaded areas that need to be removed, but there are areas in the cockpit that aren't asked to be removed which is puzzling. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brad

Hey Brad, 

I am in the process of building  "Six Shooter" and I am using the Aries pit and wheel wells both in the Trumpter 1/48 106 kit.  The wheel wells fit very well and so does the pit.  Where you have to be careful is making sure that the floor of the pit clears the nose wheel well. So take time to test fit after you sand and you should be OK.  The finished cockpit is a great addition to the kit.  With any resin product, my best advice is to take your time!

Give me a shout if I can help!

Brad

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So do I need to remove the entire pour block on the pit? I assume I need to remove all the side detail of the kit cockpit, including the two square openings to the rear of the sill on each side of the kit cockpit too?

Brad

Hi Brad,

You do have to remove the pour block on the bottom, because fit and clearance is critical with the nose gear wheel well.  I left some of the pour block on the rear shelf of the cockpit for support.  You will have to remove all of the detail that's on the side walls of the fuselage to install the resin side walls, as well as the rear shelf detail so the resin will fit.  I think I've got some pictures that I can post if that will help, let me know.

Brad

2 hours ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

Hi Brad,

You do have to remove the pour block on the bottom, because fit and clearance is critical with the nose gear wheel well.  I left some of the pour block on the rear shelf of the cockpit for support.  You will have to remove all of the detail that's on the side walls of the fuselage to install the resin side walls, as well as the rear shelf detail so the resin will fit.  I think I've got some pictures that I can post if that will help, let me know.

Brad

Hi Brad

Thanks for the update on the AIres set. I just recently received my Trumpeter kit but of the 2 seater. Would not mind seeing your work on how the pieces fit since AIres is notorious for the upgrades not fitting in the kit withouht sanding the pieces and kit to an inch of its life.

Hey I wonder if they make a 2 seat cockpit? I will have to go check.

How are these kits and how costly are they?  They are not in our area.  I was in a 106 squadron and would like to do a couple from my old unit, especially one of the tubs.   I'd also like to make one with a gun and one with a coffin. 

The Trumpeter F-106 is very nice. Some say there are issues with the intakes not being shaped correctly, and the canopy is off too, but I like it. I got mine from a seller on the forums.

Brad

10 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

The Trumpeter F-106 is very nice. Some say there are issues with the intakes not being shaped correctly, and the canopy is off too, but I like it. I got mine from a seller on the forums.

Brad

I knew about intake issues when I started mine and thought about grafting a set on Monogram 106 intakes to the Trumpy kit, but then ran across a set of resin intakes and went that route, because the resin replacements had full trunking!  I hadn't heard about the canopy, but I can tell you they are the thinnest and clearest clear plastic pieces that I've worked with on a kit!  It's been a great kit to build so far!

Edited by ORANGF15Guy
13 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

What resin intakes did you get Brad, and are they a drop fit?

Brad

Hey Brad,

They can be found at:

xmold-modeling.com

I wouldn't exactly call them  a perfect "drop in fit", but they are pretty close and they really do fix a big deficit in the kit.  Go check out their web site.  They look like they are 3D printed, which is a little different material than the normal resin that you're used to but the really look good compared to the kit intakes.  Let me know what you think.

Brad

I have an order ready to go for Xmold but have not done so yet. My model budget is taking a real beating recently so waiting a bit. I have heard guys have no problems with that store and it sure looks like he has a lot of nice stuff.

23 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

Hey Brad, are you going to add any weight in the nose to yours?

Brad

Hey Brad,

I was very worried about my Six Shooter being a tail setter because of all the resin I had going into this model......I'm also using the Wolfpack exhaust for this kit and it's a lot of weight in the tail......soooooo while I was pouring some resin for another project, I filled the nose cone up to add some weight forward. 

Brad

If its not to late there is a new set of intakes out with full length ducting out of Russia.

Im not fussed myself especially considering the Monogram kits intakes are just as wrong but i guess made in the USA-itis takes over for many...

6 hours ago, dehowie said:

If its not to late there is a new set of intakes out with full length ducting out of Russia.

Im not fussed myself especially considering the Monogram kits intakes are just as wrong but i guess made in the USA-itis takes over for many...

Hey dehowie, 

The company that I mentioned in a post above, xmold-modeling.com is a Russian company if I remember correctly, from St Petersburg.

9 hours ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

Hey Brad,

I was very worried about my Six Shooter being a tail setter because of all the resin I had going into this model......I'm also using the Wolfpack exhaust for this kit and it's a lot of weight in the tail......soooooo while I was pouring some resin for another project, I filled the nose cone up to add some weight forward. 

Brad

Brad how is that Wolfpack exhaust? I jsut ran across it looking for an Aires 2 seat cockpit. The pictures of the set are small of course so really can't see much. Does it really make a big difference?

I have built my Monogram kit many years ago and the exhaust looks pretty good form what I can tell. The Trumpeter one is ok too I thought.

2 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Brad how is that Wolfpack exhaust? I jsut ran across it looking for an Aires 2 seat cockpit. The pictures of the set are small of course so really can't see much. Does it really make a big difference?

I have built my Monogram kit many years ago and the exhaust looks pretty good form what I can tell. The Trumpeter one is ok too I thought.

Hey Skyhawk,

The exhaust is a really nice piece.  I found on the Trump kit that it was very hard to get rid of the seams on the exhaust because it's two piece design, and the Wolfpack replacement takes care of that issue.  The one drawback is that is it a very large piece of resin and it only being held in by 4 pins, so as soon as I installed mine, I reinforced it with some Evergreen plastic strips and 5 ton epoxy to make sure that it didn't break free!