7 hours ago, mingwin said:

still on the welding thing (i know it's a bit of hijacking the thread...but since we've so well started) ...i think i'll go with UMM 0.2mm lead wire! i have done a test, and it sits/snuggle nicely in the cavity, and what's exceeding can be work  easily. 

i don't know why i'm reluctant to work with heated sprues... it certainly have something to do with the fact that when i was 12, i did an aircraft carrier, and the instruction says that gazzillions of antennas around the deck should be done with heated/stretched sprues. and at a moment, i badly burned inside 3 of my fingers with melted sprue...that melted with my skin. badly burn to the 3rd degree...on 0,000001% of my body!!! (it was really to the 3rd degree, but on a 1/4 square inches surface.) it took me 2 months before i could use my hand, luckily it wasn't the hand i write with.  i never ever melted sprues again after that fail. happily, it doesn't prevent me to join the canadian forces,  and throw grenades, shoot carl gustav... i guess i was feeling it was safer!:rolleyes:

And here I thought stretching sprues was a harmless hobby.. apparently I should have added a disclaimer so that I am not blamed when someone kills themselves with melted plastic. :-D

Good to hear you survived and got to shoot the Carl Gustaf, or as we call it the "geerrrgee" (Grg m/48, Granatgevär). I have unfortunately never fired it live, only dry fired it with Simfire system added. 

On 24.3.2017 at 3:45 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

Right back at you "hooligan friend".

I could cover your points in a lengthy post point-by-point, but frankly i dont think it will achieve anything and neither do i believe anyone would be interested in reading it. If you want to continue it or want clarification from my side on something feel free to PM me.

With that being said, i most certainly do not appreciate the insinuations you are throwing around.

I helped AMK because i wanted to, because i wanted an accurate MiG-31 kit, and whether you buy that kit or not, that did help many modelbuilders that bought the kit in form of it being more accurate. Regardless whether they realize it or not. I never asked for payment from them in any form. I got sent some kits from them as a thank you purely because Sio appreciated my help and was kind enough to do so. If i couldnt comment on a subject because i have at some point helped a modelcompany with it, i couldnt comment on most of the modern Soviet/Russian aircraft. And i will help whoever i want to regardless of what you say, i prefer doing that than sitting on hands and being proud of it.

On 24.3.2017 at 3:45 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

If you have done a list for AMK, I haven't seen it, please do share it if you have couple seconds or a link..

Here is the list of the known issues to me;

1; Intakes - the inside part G18/G19 in the 1/48 kit. The angle that is in the middle, is too horizontal, it should angle down more.
2; One panelline was removed on top of each wing was removed in the CAD but it was already tooled at that point. (Also on HB kit)
3; Raised panellines, weld lines on the real thing.
4; Weak wheel detail.
5; Angle of the airbrakes*. Was fixed in CAD, but not caught up by the tooling. Easy to "fix", just glue the piston more extended than its natural position.
6; Area under parachute housing is vertical. It should angle inwards.
7; 3 small bumps around the engines on top between the tails.
8; Pitot blades need adjustment.

*Picture of the airbrakes.

Edited by Berkut
38 minutes ago, Berkut said:

I could cover your points in a lengthy post point-by-point, but frankly i dont think it will achieve anything and neither do i believe anyone would be interested in reading it. If you want to continue it or want clarification from my side on something feel free to PM me.

With that being said, i most certainly do not appreciate the insinuations you are throwing around.

I helped AMK because i wanted to, because i wanted an accurate MiG-31 kit, and whether you buy that kit or not, that did help many modelbuilders that bought the kit in form of it being more accurate. Regardless whether they realize it or not. I never asked for payment from them in any form. I got sent some kits from them as a thank you purely because Sio appreciated my help and was kind enough to do so. If i couldnt comment on a subject because i have at some point helped a modelcompany with it, i couldnt comment on most of the modern Soviet/Russian aircraft. And i will help whoever i want to regardless of what you say, i prefer doing that than sitting on hands and being proud of it.

1; Intakes - the inside part G18/G19 in the 1/48 kit. The angle that is in the middle, is too horizontal, it should angle down more.
2; One panelline was removed on top of each wing was removed in the CAD but it was already tooled at that point. (Also on HB kit)
4; Weak wheel detail.
5; Angle of the airbrakes*. Was fixed in CAD, but not caught up by the tooling. Easy to "fix", just glue the piston more extended than its natural position.

None of these are deal-breakers, I have the kit, absolutely amazing. Unfortunately all models will have some inaccuracies, like I said, not a big deal. If we're waiting for a one hundred percent accurate model, we have a long wait ahead.

Edited by B.Sin
1 hour ago, Macco said:

Hello all,

since I am mainly an armor modeller, I would suggest reading this article, which could be useful:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=220

HTH.

Cheers,

macco

Thanks for that, i will see, might attempt something on my build.

44 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

None of these are deal-breakers, I have the kit, absolutely amazing. Unfortunately all models will have some inaccuracies, like I said, not a big deal. If we're waiting for a one hundred percent accurate model, we have a long wait ahead.

Yup. 5 of those are not really what i would define as accuracy issues but detail issues. I have yet to see anything that would be a complete "deal breaker" on the HB kit too. In terms of accuracy it is absolute light years ahead of lets say their YF-23 which looks terrible. There are no major shape issues on the HB MiG-31 kit. So if it was the only MiG-31 in 48, it would have been completely fine unlike the mentioned YF-23 for example. On balance however, i feel AMK is far superior with its engineering, accuracy, level of overall detail, intake trunking and one piece missiles.

1 hour ago, Berkut said:

Thanks for that, i will see, might attempt something on my build.

Yup. 5 of those are not really what i would define as accuracy issues but detail issues. I have yet to see anything that would be a complete "deal breaker" on the HB kit too. In terms of accuracy it is absolute light years ahead of lets say their YF-23 which looks terrible. There are no major shape issues on the HB MiG-31 kit. So if it was the only MiG-31 in 48, it would have been completely fine unlike the mentioned YF-23 for example. On balance however, i feel AMK is far superior with its engineering, accuracy, level of overall detail, intake trunking and one piece missiles.

Word.

4 hours ago, Berkut said:

4; Weak wheel detail.

Thanks! Appreciate it. 

Edited by foxmulder_ms

To each his own, but I would add at least these two things to the list:

9. Missing hinge lines on the lower side fuselage, at least four, possibly six. Very visible when accentuated with panel line wash.

10. Missing details on the front gear mudguard.

All these can be fixed/added, although rescribing rectangular zig zag pattern for the hinges is a bit more complicated.

Hopefully a good HB MiG-31 WIP build emerges as soon as possible so we can reach a true consensus. Just joking! There will never be no such thing. :D 

2 hours ago, janman said:

9. Missing hinge lines on the lower side fuselage, at least four, possibly six. Very visible when accentuated with panel line wash.

All these can be fixed/added, although rescribing rectangular zig zag pattern for the hinges is a bit more complicated.

Illustration for the the front piano hinges.

samoljot-mig-31bm-v-kubinke-na-vystavke-

I'm sure whatever Sio missed in this kit he will more than make up for in the MiG-25.  They went back and are  retooling the F-21, don't be so sure that AMK won't go back and retool to correct some of the omissions in the MiG-31.

Edited by B.Sin

maybe I will pretend a really motivated crew chief sanded the weld lines, I cant wait for the MiG 25, I know Im gonna annoy alot of you, but I really enjoyed all the minute dissection, it caused me to sell my GW mig-25 and wait for the AMK, is retooling a kit profitable? since I suffer from AMS, I would buy the retool and use the  original for spares or sell it

• 1 month later...

^ You know, I'm kinda glad they revisited the Fencer nose and made it flat on the top and slightly bulged on the bottom. Too bad they put in the wrong effin' kit, though. :doh:

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Hi Mig-31 owners.. 

What did you (or planning to) use as the main color? I know MRP has a specific "traffic gray" but other than this brand what do you think is the closest match? Especially from Model Master or Mr. Hobby? 

AKAN, of course, makes the proper grey. In the lacquer range it is number 63059, comes in paint set number 46336.

Hobbyboss recommends H61/C35 or MM 1731(FS16473). AMK says it is FS36493 and Begemot - FS25237 so we have 4 different colors. I don't know which of them is better match, I used MRP "traffic gray" and it looks great.

To the OP building either will get you a great looking Mig-31.

To me and i have 4 Amk Migs and 2 HB ones the design/engineering is better on AMK but the scribing on HB is considerably better.

Detail on both very from very good to average.

Id overall get an AMK kit before the HB one however its far from as stellar and amazing as the AMK fan club would cheer blindly about.

Enjoy your Migs!

2 hours ago, jonbryon said:

I used the MRP paint and strongly dislike it. I feel it's far too pale and cool in tone. I wish I'd used the Akan shade (which I was very happy with on my MiG-23).

https://jonbryon.com/amk-1-48-mikoyan-mig-31bs-foxhound/

Jon

This is great help, thank you! Especially your picture with side by side comparison. 

4 hours ago, jonbryon said:

I used the MRP paint and strongly dislike it. I feel it's far too pale and cool in tone. I wish I'd used the Akan shade (which I was very happy with on my MiG-23).

https://jonbryon.com/amk-1-48-mikoyan-mig-31bs-foxhound/

Jon

Hi Jon,

Which MRP paint did you use?  Was it the MRP-354

Russian Air Superiority

Grey-AS1115

colour?

If yes you should blame me for the colour. Sorry if you are disappointed with it!

I have provided the original colour for the MRP team. I have in my collection several original panels direct from the Gorkiy production plant where this paint was used to paint basically everything starting from the MiG-21 bis aircraft.

The several panels come from different aircraft operated by us, both actual used pieces and factory fresh (never seen daylight) examples. There is almost no difference between them in colour. So this was used to mix the MRP paint and they made a perfect match.

Here is a fraction of the panels researched for the paint match for MRP

RH1CrxL.jpg

And here it is in a bottle.  :winkgrin::winkgrin:

CHbH4DF.jpg

Mind you what they make is a perfect copy of the original colour, one needs to add some white for a true scale colour.

But of course there are individual tastes and some like to see their models in a colour that they think it should be. Absolutely no problem with that.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
1 hour ago, jonbryon said:

No, I used Traffic Grey, which they market specifically for the MiG-31.

Jon

After a second look. I think it is not that *bad* for a weathered Mig. I feel like the color is somewhere in between Akan and MRP. Can you share the original picture of the side-by-side one?