http://www.janes.com/article/68801/ukraine-announces-plans-to-develop-new-fighter

Due to its current no-so-great relationship with Russia, Ukraine is going to develop its own lightweight fighter jet. As the article says, it's going to be more or less a MiG-29 (MiG-29C I'm guessing) but with wholly Ukrainian engines and electronics. Between this, the MiG-35, and the proposed fifth-gen Fulcrum that Russia and the United Arab Emirates are going to be producing, it looks like the Fulcrum design is going to be around quite a bit longer than expected.

Of course, I just want a model of all three.

EDIT: http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2447644.html proposed concept art of the Russian/UAE Fulcrum. Like the love-child of the MiG 1.44 and MiG-29. I've found nothing for the Ukrainian LBL, although this article (http://quwa.org/2017/03/20/ukraine-intends-develop-new-multi-role-fighter/) says that Ukraine has drawn up sketches of it.  

Edited by beingthehero

That's some unexpected news! ...a rather questionable decision(if i was Ukraine i'd choose something better for stopping the "so-called russian invasion"...something with more "deterrance" power), unless it is for export purpose(military arms sales are a great way to bring money in...)...and try to compete against the Russian-UAE one, for the sake of searching trouble with Russia:doh:

modeling wise, it's a very good news! the more designs, the merrier! 

2 hours ago, SBARC said:

Ukraine has a population of 50 million....I guess this is possible.  It does wound like an expensive idea for Ukraine to do this.  Interesting.

indeed, they have some (lefts of the USSR) aeronautical industry... an Antonov fighter would sound a bit strange tough...

i think that, if they're doing a good fighter engine, chinese might be interested...

Edited by mingwin

but their "attempt" at creating their own indigenous fighter have proven to be harder than they though! (just remembering the "monkey scale" moke up makes me giggle alone)...giving the hard time Iran got in the last 37 years, i'll say they're proving to be ingenious.

building a fighter aircraft requires cutting edge industries. kind of like building a formula one team from the scratch... not an easy task.

that being said, Ukraine have one chance that Iran doesn't have, in their desire to create a fighter aircraft: they can buy Israeli sensors/weapon systems...which certainly gives an edge over many opponents.

still, i think that developing a 5th generation fighter-capable engine (if they have such great engine company) would be a wiser move, as China still struggle developing theirs. (that, and rocket/missiles engines)

14 minutes ago, Berkut said:

Considering the thrust of the engines they plan to use, it wont really be MiG-29 class. If it ever will be built, it will be more like Yak-130/L-15.

oups, i've miss that detail...