58 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

You don't want to try the Trumpeter T-38C?

The Wolfpack T-38 has much more accurate lines. The Trumpeter T-38 forward fuselage and canopy are completely buggered in my opinion.

Cheers,

John

5 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

On their website it says "available in May 2017". Looking forward to it.

The Trumpeter kit is just, well, something. Kinda looks like a T-38, but...

For the past several months (or maybe even a year or longer), as the expected  release date gets close, they slip it a month or two.  As others have pointed out, the Trumpeter kit has some flaws but maybe I can use the c-model parts from the Trumpeter kit to convert the WP kit...

4 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Nice walkaround pics, thanks for sharing. These are T-38A models though.

J

Due to the age of the pics, that's what I figured. Mid-late 1980s, IIRC. I hope there's something useful there for you.

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM, DonSS3 said:

I've got some detail pics here that may be useful:

3814.jpg

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/DDonSS3/library/T-38 Talon

Although, to be honest, I'm not sure what T-38 variant this is.

Thanks for sharing your pics, you've got some good ones in there! With the gunsight on the glareshield, counterweight at the base of the tail, and the centerline hard point, I think we are looking at an AT-38B. It's got the right camouflage pattern for the jet I'd like to build so I'm sure I'll use some of your pics. Thanks again for sharing.

21 hours ago, TBP1538 said:

With the gunsight on the glareshield, counterweight at the base of the tail, and the centerline hard point, I think we are looking at an AT-38B. It's got the right camouflage pattern for the jet I'd like to build so I'm sure I'll use some of your pics.

Exactly - that is an AT-38B, when the Lead In Fighter Training wing operated out of Holloman AFB.  I spent three weeks there in the summer of 1982 on an AFROTC summer training program, I got several rides in those birds.

JM_AT-38_63-8215_Holloman_AFB_ROTC_1982_

13 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Thanks, learned something new there! What are the differences between the T-38A and the AT-38B?

Cheers

J

Jeffrey,

A couple of external differences is the housing or fairing that extends aft from the base of the fin and tapers to a point. Also, 38215 is carrying a centerline pylon which was used for weapons delivery. While it could also be used to carry a travel pod, it is different than the one used on the travel pod with integral pylon.

I have built the Trumpeter T-38A and honestly, the nose is not that bad at all. Okay, the canopies are a little smashed, but you can't tell unless you build it with the canopies shut. If they are open, it looks like a T-38 to my eye and I have been devouring T-38 and F-5 details for a number of years. 

That's not to say there aren't some other issues, but they are relatively minor all things considered with the biggest offenders being the oversized gear tires (only really noticeable on the nose gear strut). Also, if push came to shove, I suppose one could stick Trumpeter T-38C intakes on a Wolfpack kit. BTW, if you ever plan on doing a NASA T-38N with the radar nose, Trumpeter is your ONLY option as they tooled up the unique nose on that jet.

Here's my T-38A model: 

TT38%20SAC4_zpsdzkpa4by.jpg

TT38%20SAC3_zpsyseigiod.jpg

On 27/03/2017 at 9:48 PM, Tom said:

Jeffrey,

A couple of external differences is the housing or fairing that extends aft from the base of the fin and tapers to a point. Also, 38215 is carrying a centerline pylon which was used for weapons delivery. While it could also be used to carry a travel pod, it is different than the one used on the travel pod with integral pylon.

Thank you for the clarification, that's good to know!

Jeffrey