Are there any Medevac L (Lima model) Blackhawks in the U.S. Army?

Hi guys, currently building the Blackhawk in 1/35 but im tired of those damn troop seats, they are a PITA, so i want to know if there are any L model UH-60s in the medevac role cause i just enlarge the lateral sponsons to converte the bird to a L model. Or the medevac are only old Alphas only?

Thanks.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys, i have a couple of question for you, hope you can help me out.

1- Do dustoff (medevac) Blackhawks carry weapons onboard? If so, i imagine they have M16 of M4 style rifles, but where do they store them?

2- When operating the carousel litter system, do they always use the two back seats folded? 

3- In the crew chief seats, i see there is one installed in the middle facing backwards, i assume this is for the medic, is this a standard configuration?

4- What other medical electronic stuff they have onboard?

Thank you.

Rod.

Some answers...

1- Do dustoff (medevac) Blackhawks carry weapons onboard? If so, i imagine they have M16 of M4 style rifles, but where do they store them?

Yes, but only defensive weapons for the crew.  As you suspect, usually M16s or M4s that are carried in the back, strapped to the crew chief seats in the middle.

2- When operating the carousel litter system, do they always use the two back seats folded?  

It is actually the four seats along the rear bulkhead.  They are usually kept folded up unless they need to have walking wounded seated in them for transport.

3- In the crew chief seats, i see there is one installed in the middle facing backwards, i assume this is for the medic, is this a standard configuration?  Not usually on MedEvacs.  They normally have just the two crew chief seats facing outboard.  The rear facing seat is usually installed on the troop transport version and is used for the Squad Leader.

4- What other medical electronic stuff they have onboard?  On a standard UH-60A/L medevac, just aid bags, maybe a backboard and neck brace, but not much other lifesaving equipment.  The HH-60Q is a specialized Air Ambulance version that has advanced life-saving equipment similar to a civilian ambulance.

HH-60Q interior

uh-60q-image013.jpg

uh-60q-image015.jpg

589195683_tp.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

Along with what Gino said, all medevacs usually carry a heart monitor/defibrillator, along with portable suction equipment and a drug kit or bag. Somewhere on the net, their are pics of a hanging rack of cordura bags that are labeled for various EMS situations. I'll try and find it for you.

Tim

On 4/1/2017 at 9:30 AM, salvador001 said:

...3- In the crew chief seats, i see there is one installed in the middle facing backwards, i assume this is for the medic, is this a standard configuration?...

during my year in the medevac, we typically had that center "cherry" aft facing seat between the two crew chief seats on our mission birds to accommodate the flight surgeon or an extra medic.  neither of the two cav units that i was in typically had that configuration.  instead, we would strap a tool box, stowage box or other mission equipment between those seats. my point is there are so many different variations and mission requirements that i think that as long as its plausible, it probably happened and your build would not be wrong.  even then, its your build, so if you are happy with it, you did it right.

Cheers!

-Ramon

Edited by anvil6
clumsy fat fingers

Thank you guys. 

Was watching the other day on youtube some videos from the Dustoff birds in Irak and A-Stan and it really caught my attention, some birds have that center seat in the middle of the crew chief ones, but its loaded with medical gear, some have the carousel and some not. The birds that have the carousel, they hay attached the M4 rifle on the litters, very interesting.

Rod.

it was also common for us to take the hoist and / or carousel out as mission dictated.  sometimes we had more birds that hoists or carousels.  although the stereotypical medevac gear for the cabin does add a cool factor, it is not wrong if your bird has the red cross decals but an empty cabin.

you may have already found these, but if not there are a bunch of photos here that may be helpful:

http://dustoff.org/photo/photos.aspx

http://dustoff.org/scrapbook/scrapbook.aspx

Cheers!

-Ramon