Stupid question for some of you, but I can't find the answer....when did the IFF antennae configuration first appear on F-16CJ's? I'm looking over OIF photos from 2004 and can't find much of that, but the same aircraft seem to have them later. Want to make sure I'm okay leaving them off for a 2004 OIF bird.

Educate me, please! :) 

If I can cobble together the decals, 94-044. She got the slicers later on, but I'm not sure about 2004. Was this something fitted after 2004/OIF? The photo I've found of her tail in OIF shows it painted differently than later (dark gray on the leading fillet, not painted like that later) so I know she's had work done on her.

EDIT: Here she is in 2004. Later photos of her show no dark gray paint on the tail fillet and with the slicers.

Other photos of this pilot during the same deployment show no slicers on other aircraft in the squadron (see bottom photo), so I'm wondering if I'm safe in assuming 044 also didn't have them yet in 2004.

article-2210097-154093E8000005DC-103_634

xlciojv4lvn15in46ppm.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

If I remember right that pilot wrote a book called viper pilot. Good book by the way. But in that book he details his deployment  during OIF so I'm thinking your safe to leave them off. For any SW tailed F-16's during 2004 I can't find any IFF antennas on the nose. But maybe someone else might know for sure. 

Edited by achterkirch
Spelling

94-0043 (77FS) had slicers by May 3rd 2004, and quite some in 55FS and 79FS, but other not - hence definatelly a period when they were introduced. 

I suggest that you just go for what you choose. As this is a period when mod's were done you should be safe either way. 

Yeah, I tried researching the exact tail number but didn't get much other than when built/delivered, who it served with and lots of photos, all taken within the past couple years, none earlier than 2011 :soapbox: 

No worries, I'll go with it as I've planned, just going to assume the IFF wasn't installed yet.

Thanks folks! :cheers: 

On 3/24/2017 at 5:40 AM, admiralcag said:

They started showing up in the 120FS after we went to Iraq in 2004. It is a depot level mod, so the bird slicers show up at random times. Do your research on a particular tail number.

The IFF antenna farm was part of the CCIP mod program, it didn't start with a specific SerNo, so it depended on when that particular airframe went thru depot as admiralcag mentioned.