So I'm tryin to understand where this clog is or whats causing a clog symptom. 

If I depress the trigger the air will come through the tip.  If I pull the trigger back the needle will pull back.  If I pull back and depress the trigger I get bubbles in the cup.  If I work the needle back and forth a few time and then only apply the air I will get a short blast of thinner.  Needle is clean and the tip and nozzle looks clean.

Whats the prognoses?  I use it sparingly so its not worn out.

I think the key here is that you say the nozzle "looks clean"..but I'll bet it isn't. Hold it up to the light...can you clearly see the opening at the tip? And is it round with no gunk around it?

Take the needle and nozzle out and carefully insert the needle...does it come out the tip? Does it feel spongy?

I would soak the tip in lacquer thinner, then use pipe cleaners, interdental brushes etc to really clean it out. It can be really difficult to get dried paint out of the tip. Just keep at it. Try working the bristle from a brush (like the ones plumbers use to apply thread dope) or a very fine wire from the back to get it to come out at the tip. You can CAREFULLY use the needle as well.

And an ultrasonic cleaner might help.

An added thought...do you use a cap on the color cup? If so, the hole in it must be kept open for "make up" air to enter.

Let us know what happens.

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary
added info

One thing to remember is that the AIR does not come through the nozzle....only paint does. The air enters through the body of the A/B, and through one or more internal channels, flows out the front AROUND the nozzle and "pulls" the paint paint with it..venturi effect. So you can have a fully clogged A/B and still get normal airflow.

Under normal operating conditions, if you pinch off the tip with you fingers, you will get bubbles in the cup. It's how you back flush the brush to help clean it. You are creating an artificial "clog". To my knowledge, the only thing that will create bubbles in the color cup is a clog of some kind.

Try this....put some water the the cup and see what happens. Try filling the cup with lacquer thinner and jack up the pressure to 30-40 psi and manually pull the needle back and forth from closed to wide open and see if that will blast anything out of the A/B.

I'm going to send you a link in a minute...gotta find it first!

Keep at it...you will eventually win.

Bob

Under normal operating conditions, if you pinch off the tip with you fingers, you will get bubbles in the cup. It's how you back flush the brush to help clean it. You are creating an artificial "clog". To my knowledge, the only thing that will create bubbles in the color cup is a clog of some kind.

Try this....put some water the the cup and see what happens. Try filling the cup with lacquer thinner and jack up the pressure to 30-40 psi and manually pull the needle back and forth from closed to wide open and see if that will blast anything out of the A/B.

I'm going to send you a link in a minute...gotta find it first!

Awkward way to link on my part, but hope it shows up.

Keep at it...you will eventually win.

Bob

Yeah, Ive been getting the bubble in the thinner as if I was back flushing. 

Seams kind off odd that I can move the needle in and out while no fluid at all sprays out but the air will come back  through into the cup.  I might as well start looking for a new tip at that rate. 

I never had an issue like this with my Badger 200 and I've had it for over 35 years.

This has happened to me before. You need some XXF absorbent paper points and some lacquer thinner . The point are used for cleaning out root canals.

Work one into the nozzle with some thinner. Repeat till the point comes out clean . You'll be done in a minute .

You can find the points on Ebay . Much cheaper than parts.

Regards, Christian

On 3/24/2017 at 8:05 PM, Chris L said:

You need some XXF absorbent paper points and some lacquer thinner

Thanks! They look like a good tool. Just order some off ebay...

I had this happen before as well, talking with an iwata rep, he recommended putting bees wax,or chap stick around the seals,  unscrew the tip and nozzle area and put chap stick around the threads, screw it back together and  u will be as good as new, let me know if this helps, it fixed my problem, and I shared this with a few other people as well, and it worked for them to

jeff

I do the chap stick on the threads and I have had times when I forgot and got bubbles .

I still recommend the paper points  as I usually don't have any issues unless there is some paint in the nozzle . It just seems to build up over a period of time .

Always best to be prepared for all occasions . I shoot a lot of different products through mine and that my be the reason for the build up.

Cheers, Christian 

Here are the XXF Paper Points mentioned above. It's just over an inch long. Will be very nice for cleaning an airbrush nozzle without fear of damage...

xxf-paper-points.jpg