While waiting for Tornado v2, I thought I'd fill in the time by building a kit that I otherwise would not have built as it is not in my scale. I received a RoG Typhoon in 1/72, the so called "Gentlemen's Scale" as a gift a couple of years back and it's been sitting in the stash ever since. No time like the present! So after doning my tuxedo and making myself a dry martini, I broke open the box. I know nothing about the Typhoon so this will definately be an OOB build.

DSC_0481_zpss0gkybod.jpg

The kit itself looks nicely made but there is an enourmouse amount of flash everywhere! Anyway, I started with the obligatory seat and cockpit...

DSC_0483_zpswmvt9jp8.jpg

DSC_0484_zpsren3pi9b.jpg

I've touched up the seat and cockpit tub after seeing these photos. I'll be doing a lot of this as the pieces in real life are tiny and my old eyes are not up to that sort of scale. More to come soon...

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Yeaaahhhh! The first Typhoon in the GB!! But as we say in Germany: Eurofighter (First meaning is the jet, second meaning we use to call someone wo is fighting for every single Euro. Means he is bargaining hard! haha)

OOB is good enough, 1/72 is already so tiny! For me and my old eyes it feels like 1/144 already, hehe.

I hope the gentleman scaled EF has better fit than his brother in 1/48!!??

Please check out my current build of the same kit. You might find some useful info there.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/297308-172-revell-eurofighter-typhoon/

Started it a few weeks too soon for this GB, and it was a fun build. Had some problems in finding the correct shade of grey, but I guess I have finally found it. And then this GB started. Going to prime it again together with my F-4F.

Edited by Lancer512

Cockpit in.

@Lancer512, your thread has already helped my build. Thanks for the link. 

DSC_0495_zpshjqgfavi.jpg

No real issue with the halves coming together. Zipped them up post this photo. 

DSC_0496_zpshcyt7kls.jpg

Also filled the nose cone with lead shot and blue tac. 

DSC_0497_zpsthxcazbm.jpg

The main problem with this kit is flash. It's everywhere. Which inspired me me make a joke... 

Why doesn't Revell like iPhones? 

Because Apple doesn't support Flash. 

Thanks you very much. I'm here all week with matinees on Saturday and Sunday. 

1 hour ago, Crazy Snap Captain said:

@Lancer512

Why doesn't Revell like iPhones? 

Because Apple doesn't support Flash. 

Thanks you very much. I'm here all week with matinees on Saturday and Sunday. 

Well played, sir! Well played. 

:Lol:

Edited by RKic

Glad you could make some use out of my build. Watch out on the rear fuselage. Don't install the engines too soon...

The nice thing with this kit is, that the seam on the spine is hidden, or are made to represent panel lines.

The oval shaped hole? Yes, it should be there. Only on the left hand side, though. However, I would put something behind it, as it is modeled as an open hole into the intake duct.

If you are talking about the rear part of the splitter above the intake, which seems to bee too wide, I had to sand it to shape.

Typhoon_39.jpg

Thanks Lancer. After much dryfitting, flash removal, puttying, sanding, priming, more sanding and more priming, I put down my first coat of paint. 

DSC_0518_zpswxpbcwi5.jpg

Will take a better shot once its dried. I used a 50:50 mix of Gunze Aqeous H337 FS 352387 (Grayish Blue) and H418 RLM 78 (Light Blue). It came out pretty spot on (looks dark in the photos but that's just the lighting). For the Radome, I tried the Barley Grey that was advised but found it lacked any brown tinge to it. In all the ref photos that I have seen, it seems that the radome is a tan/brown/grey. After much experimnenting I settled on Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan with a couple of drops of XF-19 Sky Grey. It's cover in Tamiya tape in the photo. Again, I'll post some more pics later on once all dried. 

Starting to think about load outs now. Was considering two IRIS-T's on the wings and 4 AMRAAM's under the belly as well as the two tanks on the wings? Is this a realistic (or potential even) load out? 

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Seems realistic. I have seen a picture from last year's air policing mission in Lithuania with four AMRAAM on the belly, two AMRAAM and two IRIS-T on the wings, and two fuel tanks. All live missiles!

The fuel tank is not definately painted in FS35237. I am very confident that it might be Barley Grey.

Keep up the work. I can compeltely understand your priorities now that the Tornado can be continued.

I've got two models ready for priming, but caught myself getting ready to start another model for this GB. Hopefully I can do some work over the holidays, so we can see some progress with my build.

"Jawohl! Gruß - Meldung - Gruß!"

I got HAJO on the ironic mode, hehe

I take it with bavarian lifestyle and say "live and let live" and see the *+* in Captain's attempt to tackle the Revell EF. Instead of lazy idling on the sofa he tried another kit, improved his skills and kept the mojo burning!

But ofc his EF got far and it would be really sad not to see it finished. Hmmm

...just wait a bit until he has to wait for something on the Tornado....new AM parts (hehe), paint to dry, nerves to relax...

and so he probably will be back on the Eurofighter!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here she is. Not my best build as I lost interest in the end. The kits challenging nature didn't help either and my eyes and fingers struggle with 72nd scale. I used some spare decals from the Tornado kit to liven up the base a bit. I like the Eurofighter though. Might build a 1/32 version one day. 

DSC_0552_zpsltxbgwik.jpg