Can I model an F-4E from an F-4EJ?

I'm not familiar enough with the differences, wasn't an EJ just a license built E? Can I build an USAF E from a EJ? I'm looking at the hasegawa 1/48 EJ in particular. Don't need it to be 100% accurate, 85-90% accurate is good for me :-)

Charlie

Sort of.

JASDF Phantoms have hard (unslatted) wings.  If you want to build an early USAF Phantom, then it's possible.  If you want to build a slat-winged USAF Phantom, then it's not.  So you're restricted to the early 70's, for the most part.

If you have an F-4EJ Kai,  then you will have to remove the prominent RWR blisters from the wings and tail fin.  Not a horribly difficult job, but it means effectively re-sculpting the wingtips.  Otherwise, ignore the additional antennae and cockpit parts, on the Kai sprue, and you're basically fine.

If you have an F-4EJ kit (not Kai), then you will have to modify or replace the tailplanes.  The F-4EJ used slotted tailplanes; USAF E's had unslotted tailplanes.  You can either cut the slots off the EJ's tailplanes and file the leading edge back to an airfoil, or get a set of these: http://www.hypersonicmodels.co.uk/product/f-4-phantom-unslotted-stabilator  You may also need to replace your wing pylons.

Alternatively, you can source the Pro Modeller F-4E, which was a re-box of the Hasegawa kit, with all the parts to build a hard-winged E.

8 minutes ago, MoFo said:

If you have an F-4EJ kit (not Kai), then you will have to modify or replace the tailplanes.  The F-4EJ used slotted tailplanes; USAF E's had unslotted tailplanes.  You can either cut the slots off the EJ's tailplanes and file the leading edge back to an airfoil, or get a set of these: http://www.hypersonicmodels.co.uk/product/f-4-phantom-unslotted-stabilator  You may also need to replace your wing pylons.

Oh, the can of worms of Phantom II tailplanes...:rolleyes:

F-4EJ (J for Japan) were basically hard wing F-4E's, with slotted tailplanes, like the american planes

Not to be confused with F-4F's (for Germany), that had leading edge manuvering flaps with unslotted tailplanes

Simple, uh...(really not)

5 hours ago, MoFo said:

The F-4EJ used slotted tailplanes; USAF E's had unslotted tailplanes.

The USAF E models had slotted stabs.

Gene K

EDIT: Opps, caiotfjr. I posted before I read your response ... sorry.

Edited by Gene K