First post on this forum. My name is Scott and I have been building models for more than 30 years but I've never built airplanes before. In the last few years I can't seem to get enough history. My wife's late grandfather was in WWII and I missed my chance to talk to him about the war. Since he passed, I've watched or read everything I can from WWII up to Vietnam. Anyway, I would like to start building aircraft from WWII building my way through Vietnam. I just purchased my first ever kit. A Revell P-47. These were built very close to my home town in Evansville, IN and I think that will be a good start. Thanks for reading and I'll be back with lots of questions.

I only built cars. I'm a Mustang guy so I have tried to build one from every year. I still have several in the boxes but it just became boring to me. So they sit in the closet. I'm trying military modeling so I can get a history lesson as I build. (I also have a few ship kits to build as well). RKic, that is a nice looking P-47. 

Edited by jsamples

Thanks.

I tried my hand at car modeling before, but I just can't get the hang of high gloss finishes. 

I think you'll find aircraft much easier to paint.

We have a car subforum here. If you ever find the time, I'd love to see you post some of your mustangs down there.

Again, welcome to the site. You'll definitely get your military history fix over here.

Welcome to ARC! This is a great bunch of modelers with a lot of talent who turn out some jaw dropping models. 

Jump on over to the helicopter side when you want to build a real model! Hehehe!!! Just kidding!

Good luck on the P-47 and post some pics along the way.

Tim

I had the same problem with glossy finishes. I never could get it. That's another reason the kits are in the closet. From what I've seen, most of the finishes are flat. I just need help figuring out what the correct colors are. 

Glad to see you've finally come over to the good side of modeling!  LOL!  Just kidding.

Those Revell/Monogram planes are my absolute favorites thanks to their "bang for the buck" ratio.  Good fit.  Nice cockpits.  Low parts count.  You'll have a good experience with your Thunderbolt.  Which one did you get?  The razorback or the bubbletop?  What markings are you going to do it up in?

Eric

Edited by echolmberg
Misspelled "kidding".

Scott

Welcome to the Air World of modeling. I also build cars along with the air craft. I haven't completed anything lately but I try. Like it's been said before there are alot of great people here and they will help you out as much as they can.