Su-27B hobbyboss 1/48

I finished something!!!

Hobbyboss flanker OOB . Mig,Tamiys and Vallejo paints were used and I mixed the colours to match photos from the interwebs.

I am sure it is rife with inaccuracies and obvious flaws, but I really dont care. I had lots of fun building it. the fit of the major parts is really great, I dont think i needed any filler at all.

DSC_8397-600x338.jpg

DSC_8399-600x338.jpg

DSC_8400-600x364.jpg

DSC_8401-600x338.jpg

DSC_8402-600x338.jpg

DSC_8403-600x338.jpg

DSC_8406-600x338.jpg

DSC_8407-600x400.jpg

DSC_8408-600x338.jpg

DSC_8410-600x396.jpg

DSC_8411-600x400.jpg

Looks lovely. I have been looking at these pics for a while and will continue to do so. You said the parts go together very well. Would you say it builds up fast also? I believe there are not tons of parts (excluding the missiles) so I assume it should be fairly straightforward and quick build. Was that your experience?

Also, are there any build-related issues you ran into, or things you would do differently next time? Such a good looking build...

thanks guys for the compliments.

it does build up fast, and no there are not a ton of parts to the main assembly. the upper and lower fuselage pieces have the wings attached. so two large main parts then all the flight controls attach to that, which all fit really well. the fit of those two major pieces is almost flawless. the front of the fuselage just behind the radome does need attention. the intakes fit well but are not the most detailed. the intake screens can only be posed in the closed position, so you cant see down to the compressor. this might be an issue for some.

as for next time, that will likely be really soon. I just picked up the su-30mkk which shares many of the same parts like the lower fuselage and the intakes. the biggest drawback I found was that the kit is designed to have the nose gear installed before you close up the fuselage.

that is just begging to be broken off during assembly. I installed only the upper trunion piece. next time I am going to cut off the locating pins on the nose gear and add blocks of styrene to the bay so I can add everything after paint.

the main gear needed a little fiddling with to get into place properly, but once it is lined up properly it clicks into place nice and solidly.

Some of the missiles were a pain to get right, the IR version of the R27's have one body that is moulded slightly too long. so you need to test fit them before gluing. having said that, there are way more of them than are needed.

one issue that had been discussed is the angle of the wing tip missile rails, they do not point downwards like the real aircraft. not too sure how to fix that one.

Edited by dylan
  • 2 weeks later...

One more question about this kit: If you have built 1/48 Hasegawa F-18C, how would you compare the two in terms of part cleaning, speed of assembly, puttying, lost details etc. of the airframe (i.e., ignore ordnance)? Say both are OOB. Thank you for your earlier detailed description of the kit.

3 hours ago, Janissary said:

One more question about this kit: If you have built 1/48 Hasegawa F-18C, how would you compare the two in terms of part cleaning, speed of assembly, puttying, lost details etc. of the airframe (i.e., ignore ordnance)? Say both are OOB. Thank you for your earlier detailed description of the kit.

I have built the f-18. the parts count is much higher than the Su-27, so it takes quite a bit more time to assemble. most notably the intake area on the hornet is a multi part assembly and requires a bit of putty. the Su-27 needed no putty at all.