This will be my first WIP ever, and my first build (other than a no paint snaptite for the kiddo) in 15 years.

No pictures yet as the kit is in the mail thanks to HeavyArty, but I do have questions I'm hoping some of you rotorheads can help me with.

First, did any Huey's fly without pilot's doors?  I know in the GWOT the Kiowa's rarely if ever did, and there's something sexy about a bird with no doors.

Second, I'd like to splurge on aftermarket, I'm a "grown-up" with a real job now and I can actually afford them, but I don't even know where to begin, any recommendations?

And finally, all I have for paints are enamels, but I'd like to make the switch to acrylics, so if you were starting from scratch, what colors would you buy? ((Primarily for the UH-1, but some general purpose colors always help))

I know this is a pretty significant request for information, but hopefully in a week or so I'll start uploading pictures as the build begins.

Edited by crushkill

Looking forward to your upcoming progress reports.   Regarding doors, if you are building a Vietnam helo, they often flew without.   Seemed to be completely up to the whim of the pilots.  I think the Huey looks cooler without doors (no pun intended), plus it allows you to show off more of the cockpit.   

Regarding aftermarket, I believe there are some nice resin rocket pods out there, both the later style and the early style (forget the M-number, they were the 7-shot pods with the tubes exposed).   No idea if anyone ever did a PE set for this model but if you can find the Eduard set for the Blackhawk, you could use the seatbelts.  Or if you come across the crappy Dragon UH-1H, you can use the very nice PE seatbelts that come with that kit. 

Best of luck!

Yes - many Hueys in Vietnam most definitely flew without pilot doors. The most common reason was to decrease weight particularly for heavily loaded gunships but many 'slicks' flew without them also.

Aftermarket for the UH-1C you need look no further than the Eduard sets. You can get an Interior set, an exterior set and an armament set. They are a bit older so none of them are pre-painted in any way sadly but they are excellent sets. can be found on ebay or Eduard themselves.

The MRC UH-1C is the best and most accurate Huey kit you can get - its a quality kit. Period.

Chris B.

Edited by UH-1Mad

Whether or not a particular ship had pilots doors are not in Vietnam was usually down to unit SOP.  In my dad's unit, the 190th AHC, virtually everyone flew without pilots doors.  However, the cabin doors were still left on the aircraft.  This is a typical UH-1C gunship from the 190th Gladiators.  Photo by Bob Coveney.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

The Big Ed set is a must for the MRC UH-1C in my opinion.  Also, make sure you add the scissor links to the rotor system.  If you build it OOB, there will be no linkages between the swash plate and the rotorhead!  Good luck.

Ray

2 hours ago, rotorwash said:

Whether or not a particular ship had pilots doors are not in Vietnam was usually down to unit SOP.  In my dad's unit, the 190th AHC, virtually everyone flew without pilots doors.  However, the cabin doors were still left on the aircraft.  This is a typical UH-1C gunship from the 190th Gladiators.  Photo by Bob Coveney.

The Big Ed set is a must for the MRC UH-1C in my opinion.  Also, make sure you add the scissor links to the rotor system.  If you build it OOB, there will be no linkages between the swash plate and the rotorhead!  Good luck.

Ray

Looks like I might have just found an aircraft to build!

Way to go crushkill!

The MRC UH-1C is the best Huey kit. 

To dress this girl i would use:

-Eduard Big Ed photoetch set.

-Fireball Modelworks M158 metal rocket pods

-RB model minigun metal barrells.

Please post photos of your build.

Rod.

35 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Way to go crushkill!

The MRC UH-1C is the best Huey kit. 

To dress this girl i would use:

-Eduard Big Ed photoetch set.

-Fireball Modelworks M158 metal rocket pods

-RB model minigun metal barrells.

Please post photos of your build.

Rod.

Going with the Big Ed set, no luck finding the minimum barrels but still not entirely sure how I'm going to arm her yet.

Like I mentioned in the first post; I'm starting from scratch in paints, any color recommendations?

12 minutes ago, crushkill said:

Going with the Big Ed set, no luck finding the minimum barrels but still not entirely sure how I'm going to arm her yet.

Like I mentioned in the first post; I'm starting from scratch in paints, any color recommendations?

Absolutely.

The UH-1C exterior paint is Olive Drab FS34087, for the interior, it was painted Dark Gull Gray FS36231, pilot seats were Olive drab with a dark green or olive cushions, seatbelts were medium gray, instrument panel anti glare was black, and individual instruments were black also, the rest was dark gull gray. Ammo box in the back was olive drab, soundproofing was a bit of a satin gray color. Main rotor blades were black in the lower surface and olive drab on top with yellow tips, tail rotor blades were olive drab with yellow tips but they could be black with a red-white-red tips.

Ray (Rotorwash) will give you more information, he is the Huey man.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001
On 3/27/2017 at 11:07 PM, rotorwash said:

Ray

I'm a ground pounder by day, so all these engine terms are confusing me to death, my Google skills aren't what I thought they were or something, but can you break it down Barney style regarding the scissor links?

The two long vertical bars in my pic. Google uh-1 swash plate or uh-1 rotor.

I have 6 of these in the box still and never noticed this lol... The pictures of a built UH-1C on the box shows the bars....

Tim

220px-Navy-hh1n-158256-070327-16cr-10.jpg

3 minutes ago, Chief Snake said:

The links in question are provided in the kit, just left out of the instruction sheets. They are parts #44 on fret B.

Chris M

Excellent! I was sitting here trying to think of the best way to scratch build them.

Initial Opening

The build has officially begun.  Doing an inventory of the pieces, and like everyone else, MRC got me with the ammo belt on the clear parts.  It's on the main windshield but I think it's salvageable.  Aftermarket goodies should be here this week and I can get really cranking on this soon.

13 hours ago, Chief Snake said:

The links in question are provided in the kit, just left out of the instruction sheets. They are parts #44 on fret B.

Chris M

Lets you know I never built the UH-1C rotorhead, Chris!  Mine's going to be a B model.  Thanks for that info.

Ray

Another curios error is the placement illustration of the pilot's seat sliding armor panel, The right side panel is B-25 and the left side panel is B-27, they are shown in the instructions installed upside down.

Chris M

16 minutes ago, Chief Snake said:

Another curios error is the placement illustration of the pilot's seat sliding armor panel, The right side panel is B-25 and the left side panel is B-27, they are shown in the instructions installed upside down.

Chris M

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm gonna be using the Eduard set, which replaces the kit seat armor.