33693117702_acb5a643d9_b.jpg33719801971_93e5321464_b.jpg

I know we're getting way off topic (but I'm still waiting on my stuff so it's fine). These are two of the trucks I'm building.  I've got one I want to build after I got blown up, but I gotta dig out the hard drive with all the photos.

7 hours ago, crushkill said:

33693117702_acb5a643d9_b.jpg33719801971_93e5321464_b.jpg

I know we're getting way off topic (but I'm still waiting on my stuff so it's fine). These are two of the trucks I'm building.  I've got one I want to build after I got blown up, but I gotta dig out the hard drive with all the photos.

Oh wow!  I would love to follow that build!  Were you badly injured?  I don't know that I'd be able to do something like that.  As far as the scratchbuilding thing, I try to remind myself that other people sat where I am sitting now and they figured it out, so why not me?  I am sure there is a learning curve, but it's not like I'm racing a clock or anything like that.  I'll do the best I can, learn from each part I build, take the constructive criticism and do better on the next part.  This is gonna be a whole lot of fun!  And I get to meet some pretty damn good guys in the process!

5 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Oh wow!  I would love to follow that build!  Were you badly injured?  I don't know that I'd be able to do something like that.  As far as the scratchbuilding thing, I try to remind myself that other people sat where I am sitting now and they figured it out, so why not me?  I am sure there is a learning curve, but it's not like I'm racing a clock or anything like that.  I'll do the best I can, learn from each part I build, take the constructive criticism and do better on the next part.  This is gonna be a whole lot of fun!  And I get to meet some pretty damn good guys in the process!

I got banged up pretty good, blown eardrums, some small 3rd degree burns, 14 pieces of shrapnel in my hand/arm and pretty good concussion. It sounds worse than it was, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.  I love it.

Got sick of waiting on mail to get here, so I found something to do on the build, FINALLY.

Before and after opening one the vents

On the kit the exhaust vents are molded closed, it bothered me, so I opened them.

After about 30 minutes of slicing and sanding, I got one done.  Only 7 more to go...

Before and after opening one the ventsBefore and after opening one the vents

19 minutes ago, crushkill said:

Got sick of waiting on mail to get here, so I found something to do on the build, FINALLY.

On the kit the exhaust vents are molded closed, it bothered me, so I opened them.

After about 30 minutes of slicing and sanding, I got one done.  Only 7 more to go...

Ok, so how did you go about doing that.  Mine are molded closed also, and now that you mentioned it, its gonna bug me too.  Did you just use a knife and file and sandpaper, or did you use something else, like a micro drill or something to start a tiny hole, then knife and so on.

Just now, JesusNut said:

Ok, so how did you go about doing that.  Mine are molded closed also, and now that you mentioned it, its gonna bug me too.  Did you just use a knife and file and sandpaper, or did you use something else, like a micro drill or something to start a tiny hole, then knife and so on.

I probably used the least effective way possible, but I used a new #11 blade and just went over the opening about 290 times with real light pressure, once I broke through I cut a tiny strip of sand over the size of the hole and ran it through to clean it up and open it up a little more.

2 minutes ago, crushkill said:

I probably used the least effective way possible, but I used a new #11 blade and just went over the opening about 290 times with real light pressure, once I broke through I cut a tiny strip of sand over the size of the hole and ran it through to clean it up and open it up a little more.

Sounds easy enough. Gonna have to try that.  Thanks, I think, for pointing that out.  Something I did not notice, and probably never would have, but now that I know, it will bother me if I don't fix it.  Hahaha!

6 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

That will be a difficult job opening the cowling inlets. Good luck!

Rod.

I've finished 2 and already feel like I may have made a mistake.  They look great, but there are so many!  I may not do them all, but at this point, shipping is taking forever and I've got nothing better to do.

7 hours ago, crushkill said:

I've finished 2 and already feel like I may have made a mistake.  They look great, but there are so many!  I may not do them all, but at this point, shipping is taking forever and I've got nothing better to do.

You're a braver man than me.  I think I will just darken the area that is supposed to be open on mine.  I don't have that kind of patience!

Ray

Regarding the vents - All I did was use the back of the knife blade to score the plastic.  Didn't cut all the way through.   Once the model was painted, I filled the area with diluted black paint.  Looks much better than the original part, much less work. 

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Regarding the vents - All I did was use the back of the knife blade to score the plastic.  Didn't cut all the way through.   Once the model was painted, I filled the area with diluted black paint.  Looks much better than the original part, much less work. 

Good idea!  For symmetry's sake I have at least two more to fully open; but your idea sounds way better

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Thanks for that idea.  I may try that instead.  It does seem like a whole lot of work to cut it them out.  

33882218885_99c3c4fd91_b.jpg

Completed the left side of the aircraft, laid down some base coat to see if I left any scratches, looks good enough for government work!

33038555564_eb4088e5d7_b.jpg

Right side 1/3 done.  On the bottom left, I went all the way through, the other three I used the back of a brand new 11 blade and went almost all the way through, took 1/4 of the time and once it's all put together the difference will be negligible.  Hopefully tonight I'll finish all of the vents.  

5 minutes ago, crushkill said:

33882218885_99c3c4fd91_b.jpg

Completed the left side of the aircraft, laid down some base coat to see if I left any scratches, looks good enough for government work!

33038555564_eb4088e5d7_b.jpg

Right side 1/3 done.  On the bottom left, I went all the way through, the other three I used the back of a brand new 11 blade and went almost all the way through, took 1/4 of the time and once it's all put together the difference will be negligible.  Hopefully tonight I'll finish all of the vents.  

That looks a whole lot easier.  Thanks for showing it!

33725988512_651a15f071_b.jpg33882786695_9b85db9708_b.jpg

Alright, right side complete!  That may be all I get done until the photoetch gets here, unless I find another little spot to fiddle with. 

I will say that Vallejo sprays like a dream, and there is no stink on it!  

24 minutes ago, Rotorman said:

spraying silver instead of black will show better if you need to fix for scratches.

Good deal, I'll do that next time, there was really only one spot the blade slipped, and I got it.  

33159090004_9a31cb2a79_b.jpg

First step is to open up the holes in the floor for ammo chutes and troop seats, simple drill and clean up with trusty #11

33189847493_2a96fc1a94_b.jpg

Next step was to lay down my first ever piece of PE.  Naturally as soon as I cut it I dropped it, thankfully I'm building in the garage which has a cement floor and it was easily found.  From that one piece alone I was happy with the purchase and the wait for it to get here, comparing the two ammo chute openings it's a no-brainer.

33190045493_f2587ffbb8_b.jpg

Next step was to cut the kit pieces to make room for the PE, after I cut those I started sanding down the IP and then Household 6 called me inside for dinner.  

Hopefully I'll get some more done tonight!

33963105516_cd43a64e22_b.jpg

Shutting it down for the day, the right side of the center console was 15 separate pieces and it took forever to assemble but it looks infinitely better than a blank side, which is what it replaced.  

This project is gonna take take a while I feel.

1 hour ago, crushkill said:

Shutting it down for the day, the right side of the center console was 15 separate pieces and it took forever to assemble but it looks infinitely better than a blank side, which is what it replaced.  

This project is gonna take take a while I feel.

Looking good so far!  I have never worked with pe, so I will be interested in watching this build.

27 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

That PE really looks nice. Great job so far!

Tim

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, JesusNut said:

Looking good so far!  I have never worked with pe, so I will be interested in watching this build.

PE is a whole different monster than plastic, and the prices are SO SMALL!  That being said, the difference in detail is so drastic I can't imagine ever not using it again.  Also, the Gorilla Gel I posted a picture of earlier works great, if you ever end up using PE