Doing a 1/72 Fuijimi RH-53D Mine Counter Measure helo from HM-14 out of Rota Spain (1984) . Does anybody have pix of what was inside of the MCM helo's?. The kit only has a 'bare-bones' interior... ANY help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

MattP

Edited by MattP

Perhaps the kit instructions for the 1:48th scale Academy RH-53E can be of use to you.  That kit has the winch equipment for the rear compartment and it fills up the empty space quite well. 

Link to the kit atHobby Search (www.1999.co.jp)>: Academy (12703) 1:48th scale MH-53E Seadragon.   

Edited by jeffryfontaine

Depending on how they are 'popping' mines there is more detail to add. When I was stationed in Shearwater, many years ago, a harbour mine ex was held. The USN brought in IIRC 6 of these beasts, 5 flew in, one was transported in the back of a C-5!!! That one was to train the crews in setting up a -53 for air transport. WRT mine clearing, got a chance to talk to one of the crew chiefs and he explained the types of mines. Moored mines are floating close to the surface and anchored to the bottom, they are cleared with a bunch of cutters (similar to wire strike devices on choppers) attached to a long chain set up in a triangle with floats at the corners. The mines popped to the surface and were gunned down with a MG. All of this was carried in the chopper!! So add a bunch of chains and a couple of floats.

The other mines were acoustic / magnetic, for these they had a gizmo on 2 floats that they towed, it was too big to go inside so it was floating in the water and the chopper came over and hovered as the crew hooked up the cable(s), it would be nice to see a model of one of these!!

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2017 at 8:50 AM, Flyboyf18 said:

Depending on how they are 'popping' mines there is more detail to add. When I was stationed in Shearwater, many years ago, a harbour mine ex was held. The USN brought in IIRC 6 of these beasts, 5 flew in, one was transported in the back of a C-5!!! That one was to train the crews in setting up a -53 for air transport. WRT mine clearing, got a chance to talk to one of the crew chiefs and he explained the types of mines. Moored mines are floating close to the surface and anchored to the bottom, they are cleared with a bunch of cutters (similar to wire strike devices on choppers) attached to a long chain set up in a triangle with floats at the corners. The mines popped to the surface and were gunned down with a MG. All of this was carried in the chopper!! So add a bunch of chains and a couple of floats.

The other mines were acoustic / magnetic, for these they had a gizmo on 2 floats that they towed, it was too big to go inside so it was floating in the water and the chopper came over and hovered as the crew hooked up the cable(s), it would be nice to see a model of one of these!!

HTH

I'd LOVE to do a dio of this but I'd need pix of the actual operating ordnance that was towed to look correct...  Even pix of the floats would be helpful.

Do a Google search for Mk103 and Mk105 Mine countermeasures, you'll get some pics of both. Sounds l.ike a great project.

Edited by scotthldr