1/48 Kinetic SHAR FRS.1 801 Sq.

I finished this up over the weekend. This seems to be a pretty popular kit, given the number of builds going on just right here in ARC land.

While tempted to build a more colorful version (the decal sheet is amazing), my interest in the Falklands air war won me over. I chose to do aircraft XZ451 of No. 801 Squadron RN embarked on HMS Invincible. This aircraft was credited with three kills during the conflict spread out between a two different pilots. LtCdr. N. 'Sharkey' Ward shot down a “Pucara” on 21st May and a C-130E “Hercules” on 1st June 1982, and while it was piloted by Lt. A. Curtis, XZ451 shot down an enemy “Canberra". I could not resist the urge to put kill markings on the bird, so it sports the Pucara kill and a Mirage III silhouette as C-130 stencils were not available to the crew as of yet... yeah, that's what happened.

DSC_0039.jpgpost a picture

DSC_0038.jpgscreen capture windows 7

DSC_0033.jpgscreen shot windows

DSC_0034.jpgfree picture upload

DSC_0030.jpgfree pic

DSC_0043.jpgphoto hosting sites

DSC_0031.jpgimage hosting free

DSC_0040.jpgscreen shot pc

A few notes on the build; I replaced the main and nose wheels with Monogram AV-8A wheels, the AIM-9s are from the Tamiya F-16 (more crisply molded, easier to clean up and assemble), the pitot is from Master, though I did not catch the kits mistake until much later regarding the placement on the nose, and the anemometer on the nose is from a 1/350 scale ship p/e set. I painted it with Gunze Aqueous Extra Dark Sea Gray, lightened a bit with light gray.

Edited by 82Whitey51
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/3/2017 at 2:52 PM, 82Whitey51 said:

...the pitot is from Master, though I did not catch the kits mistake until much later regarding the placement on the nose, and the anemometer on the nose is from a 1/350 scale ship p/e set. I painted it with Gunze Aqueous Extra Dark Sea Gray, lightened a bit with light gray.

Great Job Whitey! It looks really fine. I especially liked the loadout and the overall gray finish. I didn't know about a problem with the nose. What is it about?

Congrats!

9 hours ago, Azor said:

Great Job Whitey! It looks really fine. I especially liked the loadout and the overall gray finish. I didn't know about a problem with the nose. What is it about?

Congrats!

Hello, the pitot tube base, should be fared into the nose...not raised and squared off on the back end of it. Iyou look at the SHAR that "Slee" built, you'll see the difference, he did a great job of correcting it.