Regulus, Snark etc.

Am I just totally crazy to want to do a sheet with markings for early cruise missiles like the Regulus, Snark, etc.? What kits are available in any scale? I don't have anything planned, but I like these missiles and here is your chance to talk me into doing a limited-run sheet.

17 hours ago, KursadA said:

Am I just totally crazy to want to do a sheet with markings for early cruise missiles like the Regulus, Snark, etc.? What kits are available in any scale? I don't have anything planned, but I like these missiles and here is your chance to talk me into doing a limited-run sheet.

I would absolutely buy that sheet if it covered at least a couple of the kits in my stash.

I've got:

Revell Regulus II - 1/68 scale - it's blue over white with the "NAVY" text spit and counterchanged (white on the blue and blue on the white) which would be tough to paint

Revell Corporal - 1/35

Revell Nxxx Hercules - 1/40 (board host squacks "spammer" at Nxxx)

Revell Nxxx Ajax - 1/32

Revell Bomarc - 1/47

Revell Talos - looks about 1/32 and its 60 year old decals are absolutely shot

Airfix Bloodhound- 1/72 - the decals would be crap even if they weren't shot

Revell/Renwal Mace - 1/32 - re-release with new decals but they could be improved

Revell/Renwal Lacrosse - 1/32 - re-release, amazingly nice kit, same as above

and to prove they're not all completely without hope of ever being built, here's the Revell 1/96 Snark I finished a couple of months ago:

late '80s re-release that I bought when it was new, 30ish year old decals used except for painted on white stripes.

DSCN00081.jpg

DSCN00091.jpg

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

No, you're not crazy--I would buy it (or them).

Several kits come to mind in addition to the those listed above, especially from Monogram. However, I suppose there have to be enough unbuilt kits in circulation to create sufficient demand for decals, so that probably rules out the early Monogram kits (Snark, Rascal, Regulus II). The best candidates by that standard are probably those from Revell, especially the ones that have been re-released fairly recently (Snark, Bomarc, and the ex-Renwal Mace. (Though Revell Regulus decals would be nice, too. I'd vote to cover more subjects by including just the specialty decals and letting people source the national insignia, etc. elsewhere.) For ten bucks, here's a good photo resource in addition to Google: http://airwingmedia.com/store/sentinels-cd/. I'd especially like to see some proper decals for the Mace in its early orange publicity scheme (both "Mace" logo and "Matador" logo from President Eisenhower's inaugural parade). A couple of IPMS/USA Quarterlies ran nice Mace articles in 1986, and there are more good photos here http://www.mace-b.com/38TMW/ .

Edited by David Fifer

Wow that is some great news Kursad. I will buy a sheet. I don't have all of the Revell History makers rocket kits but i do have a few. I almost got rid of them recently as they were in need of some new markings. Now if you tease me like this I think I will keep them and hope to see your sheet one of these days.

I would definitely grab this sheet up. Always had an interest in the missile and rocket kits. Some markings for the US test  V-2 rocket would be good to see also, with the new Takom 1/35 kit being released.

10 hours ago, Bushpounder said:

Are these kits still available? Many of these are 50s - 60's kits, with, I am sure, a re-release at some point, but how long ago? I haven't seen these for YEARS! Still cool though!!

Don

Don,

Want to buy mine?!

I have the Regulus, BOMARC, Snark (the smaller one), and the Bell X-5 swing-wing prototype.

chris

swimmer25k@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

@ Mike,

Very nice builds. 

@ Kursad,

I think Wolfpak released decals for a ADC gray Snark of the 702nd SMW, Presque Isle AFB, ME Feb, 1961 on their sheet 72-064 "Stars in their Courses." If I remember correctly, those markings were in 1:81 scale to fit the Revell kit.  Might be a good idea to scale the decals to fit readily available kits to ensure strong sales.

R/

Dutch

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2017 at 9:57 PM, KursadA said:

I'm all for it! If you want to include more modern stuff too, I can help with a full set of decals that I drew for the AGM-86, shown here:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/atomic.htm

And maybe you should know that MAI once did a sheet for AGM-28 Hound Dog and ADM-20 Quail. Two more worthy subjects!

Rob

• 1 year later...

Did  this one die on the vine? I'd be down for some 702nd SMW marking in 1/48 scale for the Lindbergh Snark that seems to be readily available again.

702nd crest. Applied on the starboard side opposite of the SAC shield on the port? I don't think the Wolfpak sheet had the 702nd marking.

330px-702dsmw.jpg

Only one I could find showing the crest in color:

snark1.jpg

Toss in the BOMARC, Regulus and other missile markings and I think it'd be a pretty unique sheet.

53 minutes ago, nachjager said:

Oh man, why not do a 1/48 AH-64 sheet with ODS, OIF, OEF and current helos??? 🤗

1. Because the folks with the reference photos are not sending them to me. Unlike fighter/bomber aircraft that can be photographed often during exercises, transits, air shows etc.,  Army/Marine helicopters are usually only photographed by personnel at the base.

2. Because the Regulus/Snark sheet will be the only choice for several hundred desperate folks who have been waiting for a decent sheet for the kit in their stashes, whereas the Apache sheet will just be another addition to the wide range of decals already available to the thousands of people spoiled for choice.