Regulus, Snark etc.

16 minutes ago, KursadA said:

1. Because the folks with the reference photos are not sending them to me. Unlike fighter/bomber aircraft that can be photographed often during exercises, transits, air shows etc.,  Army/Marine helicopters are usually only photographed by personnel at the base.

2. Because the Regulus/Snark sheet will be the only choice for several hundred desperate folks who have been waiting for a decent sheet for the kit in their stashes, whereas the Apache sheet will just be another addition to the wide range of decals already available to the thousands of people spoiled for choice.

😴

18 hours ago, nachjager said:

Oh man, why not do a 1/48 AH-64 sheet with ODS, OIF, OEF and current helos??? 🤗

Plus if you want current AH-64 stuff, Floyd Werner (Werner's Wings - www.wernerswings.com) is the guy to go speak to 🙂

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I just recently scored a Regulus II kit to add to the Snark and BOMARC kits I already had.  It needs new decals too.  This is still very much an area of need as new kits of these old missiles may never happen.

I also need new Sky Chief decals for my 1/72 Williams Bros. Northrop Gamma kit.  But that's a different discussion.  🙄

Rick L.

@Grey Ghost 531, Wow! Beautiful collection of early missiles!  (Semper fi!)

I have a Lindberg 1/48 SM-62 Snark just begging for decals for the 702nd Strategic Missile Wing at Presque Isle Air Force Base, Maine, circa 1959-1961. Of note, the Snarks were assigned to the 556th Strategic Missile Squadron during testing at Patrick AFB, Florida, but when the 702nd SMW moved to Presque Isle, ME, in Jan 1959, the 556th SMS was quickly de-activated (later re-activated in 1961 as an Atlas SMS in upstate NY).  For their very short operational career (Jan 59-Jun 61), all 30 Snark missiles were assigned directly to the wing.

Available serials are:

57-001/013          Northrop SM-62A Snark missiles MSN N-3415/3427

58-0951/0966     Northrop SM-62A Snark missiles MSN N-3428/3443
59-1874/1895      Northrop SM-62A Snark missiles MSN N-3444/3465
(Note: 59-1877 is on display at USAF Museum, Wright Patterson AFB, OH.)

Edited by Dutch
add links
6 hours ago, AD-4N said:

Grey, that is some gorgeous work there.  Well done, my man.  

Agreed, and it's nice to see this topic resurrected. Since this thread was last active, Round2 has reissued the Lindberg Snark, and Atlantis has reissued the Revell Bomarc and N_ _ e Hercules. I'd guess there are enough of these kits out there along with the perennial Revell Snark and Regulus to support at least one decal offering. While I'm at it, I'll repeat my wish for Renwal/Revell Mace decals. As others have also mentioned, I'd be happy to loan these and other related unbuilt kits to a decal design effort.

Edited by David Fifer
For some bizarre reason, my attempt to write out "N_ _ e Hercules" posts as "I am a spammer, please report this post Hercules." I have no idea why. Perhaps someone can explain.
7 hours ago, KursadA said:

These are great builds. I am very interested in the history of these missiles and still intend to do decals. However, gathering these old kits has been a challenge. 

I've got a Regulus and Bomarc available to loan out of necessary.

Chris 

I hope to create a 1/48 diorama of a Snark on trailer launcher being readied at one of the hard stands with assembly shed in the background at Presque Isle, ME.  I am probably going to need a half sheet of sturdy plywood as a base, LOL!  I have several 1/48 vehicles of appropriate vintage which will need USAF stencil markings, but I am working on that. 

Northrop SM-62 "Snark" (strategic-air-command.com) for photos.

Edited by Dutch
add links.
7 hours ago, Dutch said:

I hope to create a 1/48 diorama of a Snark on trailer launcher one of the hard stands with assembly shed in the background at Presque Isle, ME.  I am probably going to need a half sheet of sturdy plywood as a base, LOL!  I have several 1/48 vehicles of appropriate vintage which will need USAF stencil markings, but I am working on that. 

Northrop SM-62 "Snark" (strategic-air-command.com) for photos.

I had the same thoughts Dutchmaster as you with the Snark on it's trailer being pulled to it's launch pad by an M35 support truck.   Only problem is finding a period correct M35 in 1/48 for the conversion.   As you stated, period correct US Air Force markings for the vehicles is non-existant.

don

On 12/12/2023 at 8:37 AM, Dutch said:

@Grey Ghost 531, Wow! Beautiful collection of early missiles!  (Semper fi!)

I have a Lindberg 1/48 SM-62 Snark just begging for decals for the 702nd Strategic Missile Wing at Presque Isle Air Force Base, Maine, circa 1959-1961. Of note, the Snarks were assigned to the 556th Strategic Missile Squadron during testing at Patrick AFB, Florida, but when the 702nd SMW moved to Presque Isle, ME, in Jan 1959, the 556th SMS was quickly de-activated (later re-activated in 1961 as an Atlas SMS in upstate NY).  For their very short operational career (Jan 59-Jun 61), all 30 Snark missiles were assigned directly to the wing.

Available serials are:

57-001/013          Northrop SM-62A Snark missiles MSN N-3415/3427

58-0951/0966     Northrop SM-62A Snark missiles MSN N-3428/3443
59-1874/1895      Northrop SM-62A Snark missiles MSN N-3444/3465
(Note: 59-1877 is on display at USAF Museum, Wright Patterson AFB, OH.)

I was up in Presque Isle a while ago.   The facility is still pretty intact.   The big missile assembly / storage buildings were all intact, as were the launch pads.  Pretty cool place to wander. 

Here is a photo of the "Got Snark?" plaque I made during COVID for my office at work.  When people show particularly subtle snarkiness, they receive a nice certificate and their name is added to the back of the plaque, typically when they depart for their next duty station.  The plaque remains in the office.  Revell 1/81 SM-62 Snark built OOTB.

Snark_plaque.JPG.b996e7b5a1156af2b84a78450804dc3b.JPG

On 12/13/2023 at 9:45 PM, KursadA said:

Wow - I wonder how many other decal makers get support like this. I appreciate the offers and will get back to you this weekend.

Kursad, if you could specify exactly what kits you're looking for, I believe people here would come forward to loan them. Which cruise missile kits make economic sense for you to market decals for? 

1. The Lindberg/AMT Snark kit seems to me to be the most logical choice. Next would probably be the Revell/Atlantis Bomarc kit. Revell's Regulus kit hasn't been issued for many years, but the markings are cool and probably wouldn't require a lot of space (especially if you omitted national insignia). People above have offered to loan these kits.

2. I'd hope there are enough Renwal/Revell 1/32 Mace kits out there to make decals profitable, especially as part of a broader package. Likewise, the Revell Snark is a fairly common kit. I have these kits (as well as those above in #1) and would probably be willing to loan them.  

3. I expect the Monogram Snark, Rascal, and Regulus; Aurora Bomarc, Mace, and Regulus; Hawk Matador; Faller Matador; and Comet Regulus, Bomarc, and Snark kits are probably too rare to justify producing aftermarket decals. The tiny Monogram Missile Arsenal Snark, Rascal, Mace, and Bomarc models are likewise probably too rare, but maybe a few decals for these could be included in what otherwise would be empty space at little extra cost. I don't know the economics of decal design and production. I have just a few of these (Monogram Snark, Rascal, and Missile Arsenal) and would probably be willing to loan them.

Edited by David Fifer

Just out of interest I have some of the old Revell 'History Makers' kits and some later 'Revell Classics'.

52043030423_38b36d37b0_o.jpg

52043488955_662d84ed46_o.jpg

52042978386_62ff913111_o.jpg

The 1/32nd Northrop Hawk is interesting, did it really go into the field in red and white markings? An earlier boxing suggests that they were plain white with no markings.

If you do issue this decal sheet I will definitely be purchasing one!

Michael

Edited by Ghostbase
Images!!

I don’t know what would fit on a sheet but ideally I’d like to see the Revell box scale Snark (operational markings), Regulas and Bomarc. Those also seem to be the three most common kits. After that, operational markings for the Revell I am a spammer, please report this post. Apache and the Revell (renwall) Mace. Beyond that you’re getting into more rare kits but those 5 are still readily found and Atlantis has reissued the Bomarc and  I am a spammer, please report this post. Apache. 

Edited by Charlie D.