CD72062 - 1/72 C-130H "Guard Herks"

CD72062 will be a very comprehensive USAF C-130 sheet in 1/72 scale, comprising markings for many units. Similar to the KC-135R sheet in coverage and composition, coming in May.

Edited by KursadA

Seems as if this one will be a big seller...lots of Hers models out there. I know it's rather bland, however, any chance of MO ANG C-130H's on this sheet? Thanks.

David

15 hours ago, KursadA said:

Yes, it will be one of the options on the sheet.

Don't even think about providing decals for those "invasion stripes." Decals will never look at good as masked and painted stripes.  :thumbsup:

For USAF/ANG stuff, the Montana and Nevada's Air Guard Hercs currently have some pretty nice tail art.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126357220@N02/16496382293/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58611670@N04/33524286832/

These come to mind as well:
http://planepictures.net/v3/show_en.php?id=1393867

Edited by Koen L
adding some stuff

This first sheet will be overall gray USAF/ANG C-130s in current/recent markings - need to pick the low-hanging fruit first. I am working on a sheet with Arctic and drone launcher Hercules for a later project, though.

2 hours ago, thorve said:

Will you do this in 1/48th, too?

I will do it in all viable scales, which in this case includes 1/48 and 1/144 as well. Needless to say the 1/48 sheet will have fewer options than the 1/72 one.

Edited by KursadA
2 hours ago, KursadA said:

I will do it in all viable scales, which in this case includes 1/48 and 1/144 as well. Needless to say the 1/48 sheet will have fewer options than the 1/72 one.

YES!!!

9 hours ago, KursadA said:

This first sheet will be overall gray USAF/ANG C-130s in current/recent markings - need to pick the low-hanging fruit first. I am working on a sheet with Arctic and drone launcher Hercules for a later project, though.

Well new arctic markings would be great. And drone carriers too would be cool. Love that high viz stuff for sure!!!

Of course I am going to ask but are you considering a separate sheet for foreign users Kursad?

This first sheet is shaping up to be an Air National Guard-only sheet. The markings of the Ohio ANG special scheme take up so much space that there is not much space left for unique markings of regular duty special warfare versions, so the sheet relies on the commonality of ANG markings. It looks like there will be 10 different ANG airlift wings on the sheet. So perhaps I will name it "Guard Herks" or something like that. There will definitely be follow-on sheets if these do well. 

I don't have any immediate plans for a foreign Hercules sheet. There are quite a few that nobody had done before and that I really would like to do: Japan comes to mind. The problem is that Brexit and the subsequent loss of the value of pound sterling had hit my international subject plans hard; so I can not release as many international subjects as I used to do.

This sheet will be named "C-130H Guard Herks - Part 1" and contain markings for 12 (twelve) different state ANG units (including the Ohio ANG anniversary scheme). I will do a follow-on sheet with C-130J and older USAF schemes. I should be able to post the final images this week.

The units covered in the sheet are:

• 103rd Airlift Wing, Connecticut ANG
  • 136th Airlift Wing, Texas ANG
  • 123rd Airlift Wing, Kentucky ANG
  • 182nd Airlift Wing, Illinois ANG
  • 165th Airlift Wing, Georgia ANG
  • 153rd Airlift Wing, Wyoming ANG
  • 139th Airlift Wing, Missouri ANG
  • 133rd Airlift Wing, Minnesota ANG
  • 176th Airlift Wing, Alaska ANG
  • 179th Airlift Wing, Ohio ANG
  • 130th Airlift Wing, West Virginia ANG
  • 120th Airlift Wing, Montana ANG

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:51 AM, KursadA said:

This sheet will be named "C-130H Guard Herks - Part 1" and contain markings for 12 (twelve) different state ANG units (including the Ohio ANG anniversary scheme). I will do a follow-on sheet with C-130J and older USAF schemes. I should be able to post the final images this week.

The units covered in the sheet are:

• 103rd Airlift Wing, Connecticut ANG
  • 136th Airlift Wing, Texas ANG
  • 123rd Airlift Wing, Kentucky ANG
  • 182nd Airlift Wing, Illinois ANG
  • 165th Airlift Wing, Georgia ANG
  • 153rd Airlift Wing, Wyoming ANG
  • 139th Airlift Wing, Missouri ANG
  • 133rd Airlift Wing, Minnesota ANG
  • 176th Airlift Wing, Alaska ANG
  • 179th Airlift Wing, Ohio ANG
  • 130th Airlift Wing, West Virginia ANG
  • 120th Airlift Wing, Montana ANG

Will all of these be in the current grey scheme, or are Euro I & SEA schemes included?

3 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

Will all of these be in the current grey scheme, or are Euro I & SEA schemes included?

Everything is in the current, gray scheme in this sheet - there is no way I can cover this many states and fit the markings / instructions in the usual format if I did older schemes. I plan to cover older schemes eventually.

This is more or less the final draft of the 1/72 sheet. I still need to make some color adjustments and add some missing details (such as the "Vigilantes" script on MT markings, a few other things, etc.) But it should give you and idea how colorful and comprehensive the sheet will be.

Both the 1/72 and 1/48 sheet will be released as part of the May batch. Obviously the 1/48 sheet will cover only a subset of the markings on this one.

There is a second sheet with black markings (serial numbers/state names/national insignia) and comprehensive stencilling , and a third sheet with yellow/red checkers for the Ohio special scheme and "slime lights" for newer C-130H aircraft covered on the sheet. 

cd72062draft.jpg

Edited by KursadA