UH-1H Build/Coming back to the hobby!

A/C in the Left Seat

Some units and A/Cs practiced this in that the left seat had better visibility for an autorotation and the A/C was much more experienced with autorotation’s.

An aircraft inadvertently going IFR (Instrument Flying Rules) with the A/C in the left seat presents another set of challenges.  Keep in mind that most of the primary navigation instruments are on the right side of the instrument which is now in front of the co-pilot. Have gone through this once from the back seat I can tell you that the situation gets a little ‘sporty’ in a hurry.  We inadvertently flew into a rain storm at about 0300 in the morning at an altitude much lower than a big mountain that we were very close to.  Our very experienced A/C entered a climbing standard rate turn until we bored our way out the top of the storm.  We were well in excess of 10,000 feet AGL when we broke out on top.  Meanwhile the co-pilot had developed a pretty good case of special disorientation and can no longer communicate coherently with the rest of the crew or would even let go of the map he was holding.  The three of us in the back finally realize the gravity of the situation when the A/C tells us to gather three sets of seat belts and have them ready.  “If the co-pilot touches the controls, pop the dead man handles on his seat and strap him to the floor.”  An Alpha Sierra moment to say the least!  About 45 minutes later we are home safe and sound and called it ‘a night!’  Fortunately the co-pilot did not interfere with the flight controls and we did not have to restrain him.

7 minutes ago, Michael A. said:

A/C in the Left Seat

Some units and A/Cs practiced this in that the left seat had better visibility for an autorotation and the A/C was much more experienced with autorotation’s.

An aircraft inadvertently going IFR (Instrument Flying Rules) with the A/C in the left seat presents another set of challenges.  Keep in mind that most of the primary navigation instruments are on the right side of the instrument which is now in front of the co-pilot. Have gone through this once from the back seat I can tell you that the situation gets a little ‘sporty’ in a hurry.  We inadvertently flew into a rain storm at about 0300 in the morning at an altitude much lower than a big mountain that we were very close to.  Our very experienced A/C entered a climbing standard rate turn until we bored our way out the top of the storm.  We were well in excess of 10,000 feet AGL when we broke out on top.  Meanwhile the co-pilot had developed a pretty good case of special disorientation and can no longer communicate coherently with the rest of the crew or would even let go of the map he was holding.  The three of us in the back finally realize the gravity of the situation when the A/C tells us to gather three sets of seat belts and have them ready.  “If the co-pilot touches the controls, pop the dead man handles on his seat and strap him to the floor.”  An Alpha Sierra moment to say the least!  About 45 minutes later we are home safe and sound and called it ‘a night!’  Fortunately the co-pilot did not interfere with the flight controls and we did not have to restrain him.

Had a chance to talk to Dad about this a little while ago and he said pretty much the same thing.  He also thought that the A/C in the left seat fell back on some tradition.  Most aircraft the PIC is in the left seat. He also mentioned that as the A/C, he liked to let his co-pilot fly as much as possible to give him experience, and the right seat had the primary instruments.  He would take the controls for the approach and landing in the LZ, especially if it was gonna be hot or tight.  

24 minutes ago, JesusNut said:

Had a chance to talk to Dad about this a little while ago and he said pretty much the same thing.  He also thought that the A/C in the left seat fell back on some tradition.  Most aircraft the PIC is in the left seat. He also mentioned that as the A/C, he liked to let his co-pilot fly as much as possible to give him experience, and the right seat had the primary instruments.  He would take the controls for the approach and landing in the LZ, especially if it was gonna be hot or tight.  

All of that is true for slick drivers, but in gunships the AC usually flew from the right seat.  This was because the left seat had the minigun or quad M60 sight and the rockets were fired from the right seat by the pilot.  In a standard M21 gunship the right seat could only fire the guns in a fixed forward position.

Ray

Some USAAM photos to go along with this info.  First up is the flex sight for the M21/M16 weapon systems.

Image may contain: 1 person

Here is an M16 system with quad M60C machine guns and M158 rocket pods.

Image may contain: outdoor

Finally, here is the M21 gun system which was the most common weapon system used on Huey gunships after 1966.

No automatic alt text available.

1 minute ago, rotorwash said:

All of that is true for slick drivers, but in gunships the AC usually flew from the right seat.  This was because the left seat had the minigun or quad M60 sight and the rockets were fired from the right seat by the pilot.  In a standard M21 gunship the right seat could only fire the guns in a fixed forward position.

Ray

Some USAAM photos to go along with this info.  First up is the flex sight for the M21/M16 weapon systems.

Image may contain: 1 person

Here is an M16 system with quad M60C machine guns and M158 rocket pods.

Image may contain: outdoor

Finally, here is the M21 gun system which was the most common weapon system used on Huey gunships after 1966.

No automatic alt text available.

As usual, you are right Ray!  He did mention that in our discussion today.  He flew guns when he first got over there, but went to slicks shortly thereafter.  For some reason, I always seem to forget that and only ask him about the H models.  Thanks for keeping me straight Ray!  lol.  I need to find a C model to do next. 

15 minutes ago, Rotorman said:

I'm confused I thought you were building the MRC  Huey kit..

That's gonna be my next one Oliver.  This time I am modeling the one in my signature picture.  Hopefully complete with all the weathering.

• 1 year later...