Mr.Primer/ Mr.Surfacer/Leveling Thinner questions

So my order just arrived with Mr.Primer 1000 and Mr.Finishing Surfacer 1500 along with some Mr.color levelling thinner..now from what I understand is the primers are solvent based but the levelling thinner will work with it? And the levelling thinner will also work with tamiya and MM acrylics??Just want to confirm before I create a mess lol. Also any tips using these products is appreciated. I've read great things about them and have had adhesion issues in the past and wanted to give them a try

I only use Mr Leveling Thinner with Mr Surfacer and Mr Base; both are amazing. I assume it works equally well with Mr Primer.

The key with these lacquers is to not get too far away. I work from about 0.25 to 1.5 inches away. Spray from too far and it dries before it hits the surface, landing as (near) powder. If the spray isn't shiny when it hits the surface, you're too far away...

yep mr l.t. will work with everything gunze (primers, both c and h paints) and tamiya acyrlics. no idea about tamiya enamels, never tried. for me l.t.+tamiya's are always default goto these days, it allows me to do detail from very up close or go back, crank the psi up and shoot wet on wet from a foot away.

depending on your prior experience you'll just have to experiment to figure out, try to keep an open mind because you may have to completely alter your way airbrushing. still, they are very forgiving and easier to use when compared to the other acrylics like vallejo mig ak etc.

these being said being solvent they'll stink up the place, also your airbrush o-rings might not agree with them unless they are teflon coated so be wary.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't go by ratio, I go by consistency. I read once to thin to "low fat milk." Since low fat has been 1% in the US for a long time now, that's my target. It's not a bad idea to swill some 1% milk around in your mixing cup just to get a feel for that.

On 5/22/2017 at 3:42 PM, dnl42 said:

I don't go by ratio, I go by consistency. I read once to thin to "low fat milk." Since low fat has been 1% in the US for a long time now, that's my target. It's not a bad idea to swill some 1% milk around in your mixing cup just to get a feel for that.

Agree 100%.

Steve