This will be my first entry here:

IMG_6629_zpsj4oi91yp.jpg

I´m going to build the F-4F in the colors of a "line-bird" of the Jagdgeschwader "Mölders".

Already a couple of questions are rumouring through my mind:

I read somewhere that the usual QRA-birds were carrying only the centerline tank, and used the old one (contrary to the "F-15"-tank that comes with the kit). Is that right?

What about the ECM-pod that´s in the kit? Was it usually carried? And what about the AMRAAMs?

HAJO

From pictures of the Neuburg QRA scrambles I've found, three tanks (F-15 tank on the centerline), and one Sidewinder on either the outer rail on each wing or both on the port rails. No AMRAAMS.

Some pictures show the ECM pod in the left forward bay with this loadout, but I am not sure if it is live or training missiles. The missiles do have dark metallic wings, however.

Edited by Lancer512

Thank you!

Any general tipps and tricks concerning the kit to make it a F-4F? I just glued the fuselage together (pictures soon) and notices some things that usually support antennas and similar. Not sure if this is part of the "F"-model.

HAJO

You need to fill the panel lines for the photo flash cartridge doors and some lines on the vertical tail have to be removed and changed.

Just take a look at my build. I may have missed some things, but that was the most obvious to me.

Edited by Lancer512

Good to know!

I´ve been busy during the last days and therefor owe you some pictures.

As you can see, I worked myself along the instructions without any special procedures...:

IMG_6642_zpskcvjtonx.jpg

IMG_6643_zpsu4mmbcp5.jpg

Building the kit is straight forward with no surprises.

The gear has been added:

IMG_6644_zpswqf1ehnc.jpg

And the bird already sits on it:

IMG_6645_zpsylhflckj.jpg

Vents, antenna, gun muzzle...:

IMG_6646_zpss9x77ydp.jpg

And the front and center canopy:

IMG_6647_zpswslfmmdx.jpg

Tomorrow I´ll hopefully can start painting! Parallel I´ll start with the pilots. The seats have been done today (not glued in the bird, though), and I remember that you´ll have to raise them a bid if you want the pilots beeing able to look out of the cockpit.

For the colors, I used Revell Grey 374 and mixed two different tones, adding different amounts of White 301 and a bid of Light Blue 50. Hope it will look good!

HAJO

Yaa, modelling bussiness as usual...normal craftmen skill needed, and patience.

I am always so envious when I see you guys, glueing on the lading gear that early and it seams you never have Mr. Murphy stopping by at your workbench. Means: you add the fragile gear and you never make it to break until your model will be finished! Huffff....

Norm 90J colors are:

top surfaces: FS 35237 medium grey, FS 36320 compas grey

bottom surfaces: FS 36375 shadow grey, FS 36320 compas grey

(source: airdoc  no. 09, Luftwaffe Phantoms, Part 4)

Good luck with Revell mixing! (I prefer mixing beer with lemonade. Cheers!!)

Damn, a third color to mix! The instructions just said both greys to both sides (top and down)! Any Don Color-sheet showing this?

Ah, there it is...:

n90j_f4f.jpg

As for the smaller parts: Don´t know what you guys are doing, but I have never snapped off landing gear or other...

HAJO

See, Don Color also gives you three FS colors. My source of knowledge is the airdoc booklet about the german Phantoms. Also in the airdoc decal sheet for Norm 90J it is like that. 

Well, it´s hard to picture, but it looks good!

This is the underside, after having painted a lightened up Grey 76 of Revell and my lighter mix of 374 plus white and blue:

IMG_6654_zpsbkia2ctd.jpg

This is the top, with only the lighter 374 mix:

IMG_6653_zps1vpylxl9.jpg

And my darker light ;) 374 mix to complete the scheme:

IMG_6658_zpstrduge9g.jpg

Interesting thing is, I used silk matt colors, for the first time since I don´t know when. The downside is, they don´t cover the surface as good as matt colors do, so I had to add a second layer of color. The good thing is, that for some reason the panel-lines are more present, compared to painting with matt colors.

IMG_6660_zpsulriu650.jpg

I still have some questions: What color are german Luftwaffe Sidewinders? And AMRAAMs?

HAJO

OK, let me tell you: the AARAM looks the same like the USAF ones. Body is light ghost grey, head is white, fins are very dark, I would take gunmetal.

The AIM-9 L have a white body, light grey rear fins and metal/steel colored front fins. Here I would go with light gunmetal or Steel (for your choice: Revell 91) again. Or you mix black and silver until you like the shine. In the left front missile bay you can add an ECM pod: AN/ALQ 119.

Thanks a lot! So no surprises here...

I was able to finish the bird for decaling. Unfortunately I rushed the montage of the canopy, and therefor screwed up the position of the RIO:

IMG_20170412_163401_zpsyo81krvv.jpg

He's sitting way to low, should have positioned the pilot higher in the seat. Just ramping up the seat would just have given me trouble with the canopy and the ejector-seat-handles.

Then I started applying the decals, and still haven finished them. But all stencils and markings for the wings, tail and main fuselage have been done:

IMG_20170412_163333_zps7uim6elv.jpg

I'm pretty happy how the colors turned out, especially with the very light contrast to the stencils.

IMG_20170412_163347_zpszk3lsmjt.jpg

IMG_20170412_163357_zpsnwk9cwar.jpg

No progress over the easter holidays!

HAJO