Monogram 1/48 F-80 Shooting Star

Hey ARC,

I'm back to share another Shelf of Doom rescue!

This F-80 was started a while back and shelved after I painted the shark mouth. It didn't come out as sharp as I wanted so the project stalled. It's interesting how one little thing like touching up paint can cause me to lose motivation on a project. Anyway, after finishing the Jugs and Cobra, I dusted off this kit and got to finishing it.

First thing was first, I touched up the mouth and teeth as well as I could. Not as sharp as I would've liked, but I can live with it. Then I painted the red nose and vents. The NMF is Alclad Aircraft Aluminum over their white primer. Other Alclad shades were used for different panels. The rest of the painting was done with Testors and MM enamels. Weathering is Flory washes and pastels. A TD seat and a set of wheels were also used on this build. Other than that, it's the kit's plastic, rescribed.

The decals are from Aeromaster's "Shooting Stars Over Korea, Pt. 1" sheet. A quick word about the markings. According to my research, FT-798 was with the 8 FBG, 36 FBS in Korea. From what I can tell, it was in-country while the 36 FBS wore the shark's mouth. I couldn't find any evidence that this particular airframe wore the mouth, but as the Mythbusters say, "It is plausible." Eh, even if I'm wrong, I think it looks cool. So, there's that... 

Anyway, let's look at the pictures, OK?

DSC09989_zps04udqid7.jpg

DSC09990_zpshk8xmwsq.jpg

DSC09991_zpsrjjrqzf7.jpg

DSC09992_zpsjp3vkonw.jpg

DSC09993_zpsdtyqe3rj.jpg

DSC09995_zpslisfvb7v.jpg

DSC09998_zpswrjqvwse.jpg

DSC09996_zpsa0swqn4n.jpg[

DSC09997_zps5pgce4ok.jpg

DSC00001_zpsxpy21hee.jpg

DSC09999_zps08nby4yg.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with this build, but I think it's a solid 3-footer. It's bright and colorful, and the shark mouth jumps out at you from my shelf. I think it looks pretty good considering it's an ancient mold.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Cheers,

-O

Thanks for the compliments, ARC.  Much appreciated!

And George, yes, I did rescribe the kit.  I pretty much used the kit's panel lines as guides. I lost a lot of detail getting the fuselage rear halves mated to the forward parts and the gun bay panel lined up on the nose. I figured I'd just go ahead and rescribe the whole kit in an attempt to replace the lost detail.

Thanks again for looking!  

Cheers,

-O

• 2 weeks later...