Venezuelan Sukhoi SU-30 MK2 (pics restored)

Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna start by glueing the rear upper part of the fuselage to try to have not many troubles in the rest of the plane, and as Jani said gather the gap on the easiest part, I share his opinnion, it would be close to the radome, I added a little piece of plasticard behind one of the gaps, since after many dry fits I realized the problem was going to be mainly on one side, one side is gonna have a fair joint but the other side will need filling, and following your suggestion I'm gonna use CA to reinforce the bond and be able to scribe easily afterwards! the glue is drying as I type so maybe tomorrow I'll have some images to show you, weather it's a succes or a mess!

I really appreciate your insight and precious help!!

IMG_8521.jpg

IMG_8522.jpg

IMG_8524.jpg

Well it looks like the gap is pretty much gone and there's only a couple of touch ups to do! the Quickboost resine nose really makes a difference on this kit's profile!

My photobucket is acting up so I'm not able to post comparisson shots, but so far I'm happy with the result!

Edited by kike

Once again if you are wondering if the Quickboost resine nose for the Flanker is worth, Here you have two comparisson shots for you to see..

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8515.jpg

I Hope this is gonna be useful!

Edited by kike

And I must add that fitting was really good! if it wasnt perfect is because of user error!, really nice piece of resin and really easy to add, the thing now is I think it desserves a metal pitot to match it up!! lol

1 hour ago, pacheco said:

Great project.

Unfortunately and if I'm not mistaken the "0564" no longer exists. It crashed few years ago.

As far as I read the crashed plane was AMBV-0460 from 11th grupo de caza, this one belongs to the 13th Grupo de caza! But I just base my comment on news from the net! I might ask a friend in Vzla to make sure and/or maybe oppenheimerj could enlighten us!

Taking a look at this for the first time since as of today I want to build one of these! Great progress to follow on and definitely saving this thread for future use once I am able to track down the Academy kit. Wanting to build this baby.

65ansSU30Hawks1.gif

Taking a look at this for the first time since as of today I want to build one of these! Great progress to follow on and definitely saving this thread for future use once I am able to track down the Academy kit. Wanting to build this baby.

I'm making this WIP because of that Zach, when I was looking at references I didn't find lots of them and never a comparisson shot to see the differences, I'm trying to show what I was looking for!

Really nice scheme on that Indian Flanker!!

I have a bit of a problem with decals.... I don't know how to make them fit, we've seen they are not match for the kit's fins nor the Wolfpack fins, maybe they are designed for the HobbyBoss kit, anyway, they are supposed to go all the way donwn and up the fin because the big blue "5" makes the border between red and yellow, well it doesn't happen, if I fit them to the top they don't cover the lower part of the fin, take a look to the fins and a dummy of the decals

IMG_8590_1.jpg

The fins are supposed to look like this

IMG_8677_1.jpg

and like this

IMG_8677_2.jpg

What would you do? How would you make the transition from red to yellow without having that blue in the middle? Should I fit the upper part or the lower one?

I really don't know how to approach this issue...

Edited by kike

I am sorry you seem to be having a problem. This sheet was really intended for the Hobby Boss kits. The 1/72 sheet was designed to fit the HB kit, and then scaled up to 1/48 and checked against the best plans I could find at the time. I then slightly adjusted the dimensions. The discrepancy between the Academy kit tail, Wolfpack resin tail and the scaled-up HB tails meant that it would be impossible to make this particular scheme fit all three of them, so I chose the HB version, assuming that most customers would buy this sheet for the HB kits. Almost every other scheme on the decal sheet would fit all three kits without any problem, but this one is particularly tricky.

I would recommend fitting the decals to fit the top, having to compromise a bit of accuracy by perhaps adjusting the transition between the normal aircraft camouflage and the red/blue/yellow painted area. I realize that this is not optimal, but it would definitely look better than fitting them to reach the bottom of the transition line.

Here is an illustration using the actual artwork and photos of Wolfpack resin tails that shows how I myself would have placed them - I would have filled the gaps at the top of the markings by matching the blue color and then painted the yellow/red transition line to match the bottom of the "5". Perhaps not the best solution, but just a suggestion.

su30tails_fit.jpg 

Edited by KursadA

Kike my friend, if i remember correctly you called me lazy sometimes because i like to go the easy way in modeling, i have a solution for you, PAINT the number 5 and all your problems will disappear :rolleyes:, but if dont want to do it then do the regular tail scheme on that bolivarian SU.

It will be easier than painting the eagle wing on my F-15

On 30/4/2017 at 0:18 AM, KursadA said:

I am sorry you seem to be having a problem. This sheet was really intended for the Hobby Boss kits. The 1/72 sheet was designed to fit the HB kit, and then scaled up to 1/48 and checked against the best plans I could find at the time. I then slightly adjusted the dimensions. The discrepancy between the Academy kit tail, Wolfpack resin tail and the scaled-up HB tails meant that it would be impossible to make this particular scheme fit all three of them, so I chose the HB version, assuming that most customers would buy this sheet for the HB kits. Almost every other scheme on the decal sheet would fit all three kits without any problem, but this one is particularly tricky.

I would recommend fitting the decals to fit the top, having to compromise a bit of accuracy by perhaps adjusting the transition between the normal aircraft camouflage and the red/blue/yellow painted area. I realize that this is not optimal, but it would definitely look better than fitting them to reach the bottom of the transition line.

Here is an illustration using the actual artwork and photos of Wolfpack resin tails that shows how I myself would have placed them - I would have filled the gaps at the top of the markings by matching the blue color and then painted the yellow/red transition line to match the bottom of the "5". Perhaps not the best solution, but just a suggestion.

I really appreciate your reply and suggestion I'm working around a solution for that, actually I can compromise a bit of accuracy in order to have that paint job since I really like it!

I completely understand your take on choosing the HB kit, since you are completly right! logic says that more ppl will buy the kit instead of adding extra stuff to an already "expensive" kit.

Just for the record I'm not complaining about the decals, just informing about the possible issues on this particular build! on the contrary decals really look awesome! and I'm sure the rest of the sheet would fit alright!

On 30/4/2017 at 9:20 AM, oppenheimerj said:

Kike my friend, if i remember correctly you called me lazy sometimes because i like to go the easy way in modeling, i have a solution for you, PAINT the number 5 and all your problems will disappear :rolleyes:, but if dont want to do it then do the regular tail scheme on that bolivarian SU.

It will be easier than painting the eagle wing on my F-15

Jorge I would never ever dare calling you "lazy" :whistle:  and I guess you are right, painting would be the best way to go, but after watching what you did on your eagle I feel a bit inapropriate to endeavor a task like that!

I guess it's time to crack the photoshop and try to work on a mask before fighting the fit issues!

Stay tunned and keep your fingers crossed!!

i think I resolved a third of the problem I draw what is supossed to be a mask for the finns

IMG_8711.jpg

Not perfect but nothing else is, so I'm pretty happy with what I have

IMG_8710.jpg

IMG_8709.jpg

i guess it's time to mask and paint! and see what it gives!!!

Wish me luck!

Edited by kike
15 minutes ago, oppenheimerj said:

did you made that mask?? or someone cut it with a plotter? 

Someone cut it for me with a plotter! There is no way I could make those clean cuts!!

Thank God I followed Jorge's advice and decided to paint those finns, It wasn't easy! at least not for me, but at the end the result is way better than decals! it's always been!

I was gonna paint the "5" at last but masks decided not to cooperate and went the other way around and started there!

Look how I managed to damage one of the masks and needed to replace it

IMG_8738.jpg

I left the dark blue color of the five to make something like black basing but just to avoid those bright colors to pop

IMG_8741.jpg

IMG_8742.jpg

IMG_8743.jpg

And finally after a couple of days I ended up with these

IMG_8746.jpg

As I said, they are not perfect but I'm really pleased with the result!! I have the masks for the white stars that will be added later

An important note about this scheme. Even if I managed to paint it in a decent way it doesn't mean you can do it without the Caracal sheet, having it is what made this masks possible, and there are the rest of the markings to complete the Venezuelan Flanker, there is an important detail in the middle of the "5" that would be really hard to replicate and plenty of letters and numbers.

I painted it cause I wanted to push it a little bit further, KursadA showed how could this be done!

Edited by kike

A bit more of progress

IMG_8750_1.jpg

IMG_8751_1.jpg

IMG_8753_1.jpg

And a comparisson shot with the real thing! I still have some markings to add but you get the idea...

IMG_8771.jpg

Edited by kike
41 minutes ago, nikosmeta said:

Briliant progress so far.

What are the colors that you have used for the tail and the camo?

Tails 

FS 13055 yellow

Model Master "Guards Red"

and "blue angels" blue for the "5"

white for the tips and antennae

For the camo

36495 Light Gray

36440 Flat Gull Gray

36173 AMC gray

all of them toned down with "French Light Blue Gray" to give them that blueish tone the real plane has!  I hope that helps!

Kike, i found i mistake in the las picture, looks like you haven't seen it, on the bottom of the tail 

7 hours ago, kike said:

A bit more of progress

IMG_8787_zpsjlnu8cyy.jpg

IMG_8786_zpsuiaxojup.jpg

IMG_8788_zpshooh7ass.jpg

And a comparisson shot with the real thing! I still have some markings to add but you get the idea...

IMG_8771_zpszat1nd6s.jpg

Kike, i found a mistake, look the bottom right of the vertical stab, the rel one is yellow and yours is red, hope it wont be so hard to fix it

jorge

Thank you very much Jorge!!!! Damn I can't get how I missed that having the good references!!

Caracal instructions tell you to paint that corner red! Well is not correct! It has to be YELLOW!!! That would be an easy fix for you I hope.

Me, I'll have to get another mask to try to fix it and don't make a mess!! Wish me luck!!!

Just to amake things clear, this is what Caracal suggests for painting that particular stab

IMG_8749.jpg

And this is how it really looks on the real plane

IMG_8677_2.jpg

Some may say is not that big of a deal, me included, and some may say is a big flaw, to each it's own. I'm gonna try to correct it because I'm on time, and Thanks again to Jorge who pointed that out! somehow I missed it, and since this WIP is intended to give as much info as possible I'm talking about what I find.

I'm not bashing Caracal at all! I think they are great and just having this option is something I am thankful for! and It could be easily corrected maybe just by adding a note or whatever they see fit!

Edited by kike
typo