Venezuelan Sukhoi SU-30 MK2 (pics restored)

15 hours ago, Ichitoe said:

Your build is coming along very nicely! Love the camo job you did!

The wife likes it too!

I'm glad you both like it!!! as I said I was going to make a good effort with this one!! I can't thank you both enough!!!

11 hours ago, nikosmeta said:

Very nice result. What colors did you use? 

Tails 

FS 13055 yellow

Model Master "Guards Red"

and "blue angels" blue for the "5"

white for the tips and antennae

For the camo

36495 Light Gray

36440 Flat Gull Gray

36173 AMC gray

all of them toned down with "French Light Blue Gray" to give them that blueish tone the real plane has!  I hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

Allright I passed to the canopy, I'm using the Fairy Hobby one, wich is a lot better in form and all, but I had never worked with vacuum formed canopies before, so even at the beginning I was already cold sweating, Since it's gonna be desplayed open some interior detail was in order, never dona that before either, but I have been watching Oliver and Elmo  work on plastic and I thought to give it a try! Dear God! much respect for what they do with plastic!!!! my best effort didn't even get close to their failures! but one has to start somewhere and maybe in a couple of lifetimes I'll get close to what they do!

Anyway here are the pics and even if it looks like Elmo working with box gloves, I'm pretty happy with the result!!!

IMG_9827.jpg

Inner frame made with plastic and A/C ducts made out of couper wire

IMG_9829.jpg

raised rivets made with a needle from the other side prior assembly

IMG_9832.jpg

I thought masking the exterior was hard until I tried masking the interior!!

IMG_9834.jpg

I have painted the interior with that teal like bluefrom the inside and used black anyway to keep the camo tone a bit closer to the rest of the plain and to give it some depth

IMG_9835.jpg

So it looks like this now from the inside

IMG_9837.jpg

And like this from the outside!!!

And there you go! my best canopy so far!!!

IMG_9840.jpg

And this arrived today from the post ofice!! beautiful Pitot tube from Master Model!

These Flankers have this tube rails on and across the canopy for A/C I guess, anyway I wanted to add it to the bare canopy since it's a prominent detail and mine is gonna be open.

Real ones have the tubing like this

IMG_7450.jpg

I took the plunge and tried to replicate it, is not perfect, maybe not even good, but to my eyes they are more than good since it's one of the firsts times I daro to add something like this!!

As I said it's not perfect and there's no way I'm touching that agai! lol!!

IMG_9874.jpg

IMG_9879.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9884.jpg

WEMN7322.jpg

Some white bits are still to be painted but I want glue to cure to touch it again!

Very nice build so far. I want to do this some time in the future so I will have to save your build for future reference.

As for that piping on your canopy, WOW. That is sweet. Not sure if I have the skills to replicat ethat but I guess I could try.

Thanks so much for sharing your build with us as well as restoring the pictures.

Glad you like it Chris!give those pipes a try! i didn't think I was capable of pulling them off, no w I think I got close enough and really happy!

if you have questions about the plane let me know! I have some pics of venezuelan  planes and many pics of the build! failures included!

19 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Yeah I should try those pipes. Also have to order the Caracal decal.

Oh by the way looks like some of the pics on the first page are not showing up?

Caracal decals have worked great for me! if you are going to be using the HobbyBoss kit you are not going to have any issues!

I've been trying to edit that post but there's an error and would not let me make changes...sorry about that.

Kike,

Your builds just keep getting better and better.....congrats. The tube work you did to represent the air conditioning ducting is impressive as well! Looking at all the bends I can tell it took a lot of patience and skill to pull it off. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

E.

21 minutes ago, wardog said:

Kike,

Your builds just keep getting better and better.....congrats. The tube work you did to represent the air conditioning ducting is impressive as well! Looking at all the bends I can tell it took a lot of patience and skill to pull it off. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

E.

I appreciate your comments Elmo! thanks for taking the time to look at my build!  The truth is, my time spent on this forum and a couple of others, has made me improve or at least trying to improve with every build, I keep watching what you guys do and how you do it, I try and sometimes I nail it, often I'm not that lucky but I keep trying! with every model I try something new, different or just something I thought I wasn't capable of doing. I remember what you told me while building the Electric Intruder but mostly your work on your Intruder and it motivates me. Now even failures are kinda fun! I don't let frustration get in the way so I enjoy a lot more modelling!

Some time ago I use to get frustrated when watching builds like yours or Oliver's cause I knew I would never ever get there, now I see what I can do from the whole build and I start there. It means that at this time if you point me to the moon I won't keep staring at the finger!! :cheers:

Thanks Crackerjazz!!

The works continue and I finally decided to tackle the most difficult part for me, engines! one of the most important parts of Flankers since they are attention atractors! and weather you nail it or screw it, there's hardly a halfway point!

I made a couple of attemps and totally screwed it! after a bit of trying, cursing and praying! I was able to (in my mind at least) to get beyond the screwed side and get a decent job!  you be the judges cause after watching at them for so long I don't know how to be unbiassed! the thing is I don't think I'd be capable now to make it any better!

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

IMG_9963.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg

IMG_9896.jpg

IMG_9900.jpg

Now I'm working on decals! I have the ones that came with the kit, the caracal ones, and a sheet from Lindenhill, even if some of the data is in english, some other in russian and a couple in spanish, I decided to use as much as possible since this plane is full of data all over the fuselage! the three different kind of decals are great! so far after A LOT of them no one has shown any silvering as of yet! (crossing fingers)

Let's pass to the pictures

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And a shot just to campare it to the real thing, IMHO pretty close for my kind of modelling!!

image.jpg

My take on decals is that Caracal has too few of them, since data is in spanish there are a couple of ones that can be read on this scale and it would be great to have them is spanish, such as ladder guides, fuel tanks and most of the "big" yellow ones on top, but having the ones for the landing gear bay doors is a nice touch!

Lindenhill has a lot of data but instruccions are way bague you have to have a good reference to apply them the right way, I applied a couple the wrong way, I got over it!  Academy ones are really good but a bit oversized in some cases!

Hello Kike,

Great to see you're nearing the finish line on yet another project. As I've stated before, your builds keep getting better and better; keep up the good work. Reading your post regarding the engine painting, It's obvious you faced some challenges and the task frustrated you, as it should have when you're still honing your skills. In this hobby, you cant reap rewards until you pay your dues; then again, I suppose that's the case with anything that requires some level of talent! Every elite modeler has had to cross the same bridges you have; and like everyone else, we all have our strengths and weaknesses which determine how long it takes to master a skill. Keep at it and the rewards will come.

E.

19 hours ago, Major Walt said:

This is the best build I've ever seen--and I've seen thousands over the years...

Thanks MajorWalt! you're too kind!

Hello Kike,

Great to see you're nearing the finish line on yet another project. As I've stated before, your builds keep getting better and better; keep up the good work. Reading your post regarding the engine painting, It's obvious you faced some challenges and the task frustrated you, as it should have when you're still honing your skills. In this hobby, you cant reap rewards until you pay your dues; then again, I suppose that's the case with anything that requires some level of talent! Every elite modeler has had to cross the same bridges you have; and like everyone else, we all have our strengths and weaknesses which determine how long it takes to master a skill. Keep at it and the rewards will come.

E.

Thanks for your words Elmo! and for taking the time to take a look at my build! Yo are absolutely right about this hobby! the good thing is that even when pushing your limits if you are still able to have funn then you are making things the right way! with every build I try a couple ot new things, if I succed I'm happy, if not, I have to find out how to correct it, so either way it's a win situation! and I think you can substitute lack of talent with persistance!!

32 minutes ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

This is an awesome build thread!  Fantastic work here...

Man, looking through this makes me REALLY want to build a twin seat Flanker!

Go ahead this is a really nice kit! it needs a bit of work but is totally worth it at the end!!

I added a wash

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

And I really really needed to try........dry fitted the finns....

IMG_0125.jpg