Venezuelan Sukhoi SU-30 MK2 (pics restored)

After a, kinda long hiatus, I'm going to start building this kit! it's gonna be the first model that'll stay with me in my house, usually they go to my brother's, but not this one. It's been chosen cause my son asked me for a model and since he and his mother are venezuelans the choice was easy.

It took me a while to get the kit itself since it's out of stock from stores since a long time ago, but thanks to Mike (Itchitoe) and mostly his wife :thumbsup:, I was able to get my hands on this kit and some other cool stuff!

the aftermarket the kit came with it's the following

Wolfpack SU-30 MK Flanker cockpit set

Wolfpack SU-30 MK Flanker update set

Quickboost Flanker correct nose

Fairy Hobby Flanker family correct canopy

Caracal decals in the mail

I'm not a rivet counter by any means, but this one I want to keep it as close as posible as the real thing, is not gonna be easy cause you find lots of pics of the venezuelan planes but mostly good to get the overall look, but when it comes to details such as cockpit, gear bays and stuff you won't find many, or at least I couldn't find! So if you have some I'd be glad if you can share with me!

So let's go to the pictures and I'll try to unfold the kit as I move through the build

fn7akg.jpg

6xuaskU.jpg

IMG_7367.jpg

IMG_7377.jpg

IMG_7424.jpg

This is the plane I want to represent, decals are on its way the same with the colors, even though for color I'm just following Begemot suggestions, I'll wait for them to get here and see what do they look like

IMG_7862.jpg

The kit

IMG_7873.jpg

This is one of the sprues that turns the SU-27 kit into a SU-30, so I'll have to start cutting away a big chunk of the model! nice way to start for a non experienced modeller!

IMG_7880.jpg

Wolfpack SU-30 MK  Flanker cockpit set

IMG_7877.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

Wolfpack Flanker update kit

IMG_7870.jpg

Quickboost correct nose.

IMG_7875.jpg

and the Fairy Hobby correct Flanker family canopy

Once again I thank Itchitoe's wife for making this possible! this is a special build and I'll do my best to make it justice!!

Edited by kike

Nice! Pulling up the lounge chair to enjoy this WIP. 

Looking forward to this build, and I'll let the wife know you've started. She'll be excited for you and your son!

Mike

Thnx Mike!!

Nikos! nice to hear another SU is gonna be built! you should have done before so I could use your build as a guide! cause so far I haven't found anyone on the net!

Jorge you'll have to dig into your computer to find the pics of your build! and yes I'm a bit nuts!!

Ok surgery has begun! as I said before in order to have a SU-30 the front of the fuselage must be replaced with a suplied piece, clever solution for not replacing the whole mould of the upper fuselage, however it leaves a pretty nasty scar in a prominent part of the plane wich will have to be taken care later, the cut is marked on the inside of the fuselage and is a pretty "simple" task, it needs to be done carefully tho, thanks god everything went ok!

IMG_7906.jpg

On the far right the piece that got cut besides the piece suplied, which is clearly different and acomodates the IRST in front of the windshield to the left and not in the center as the SU-27.

IMG_7907.jpg

In order to accomodate the Wolfpack front IP another cut must be done, easier than the other but a cut non the less and without any marks.

The Fairy Hobby correct canopy set comes with a nice resin IRST for the SU-27 and doesn't replace the one for the 30, but since it has some nice detail I wanted to try to mix both pieces and see if I could use the advantageof that nice detail!

IMG_8069.jpg

So I ended up with a nice, for me, IRST with a bit of extra detail!

I hope you'll enjoy

Edited by kike
6 hours ago, kike said:

I don't know when but they have a nice chart of schemes 

http://begemotdecals.ru/doc/72-029 Demo Flankers 1.72 part 2.pdf 

and I chose them cause I don't use Akhan acrylics 

You realize that the scheme you posted in your thread does not exist on that sheet, right?  You seem to be confusing the special scheme carried on aircraft 1259  and the one on aircraft 0564.

SUKHOI30.jpg

su-30+venezuela.jpg

Edited by KursadA
5 hours ago, KursadA said:

You realize that the scheme you posted in your thread does not exist on that sheet, right?  You seem to be confusing the special scheme carried on aircraft 1259  and the one on aircraft 0564.

SUKHOI30.jpg

su-30+venezuela.jpg

I apologize decals are from Caracal!! I spend a lot of time watching those Begemot schemes that my mind got hooked on the name! Thanks for pointing that out!!

P.S I have edited the first post to avoid more confussion! Thanks again KurdadA

Edited by kike

While waiting for some paints and decals I started to do the "" part, and went for the intake, which is a real PITA on this kit, I think we all know about fit problems on that area but all I can say is dry-fit as much as you can and go slowly one side at a time of each intake it took me two days to glue them, and I ended up with two nice gaps anyway! so as you can see, I didn't find the secret to do it right!

here are some pics anyway

IMG_8192_zpsmi04g6u7.jpg

IMG_8195_zpszfxn5r5w.jpg

Then I added a thick coat of cyano and some putty to finish the job

IMG_8202_zpsbzbky0nz.jpg

In my opinion it all paid off cause I got a nice and smoth surface and no sign of that gap anymore!

IMG_8242_zpsy8x9lzux.jpg

IMG_8241_zpsuihcknuv.jpg

In case you are wandering weather to get or not the SU-30MK Update set from Wolfpack, here's a comparison shot of both rudders, on the left the kit's one without the correction provided by Academy, this correction basically changes the tip of the rudder to make more squared, you could get away with it, but if you are a bit more "picky" you'll note lots of differences, so is up to you to decide if it's worth the price or not!

c1853409-0775-475b-927b-5433a6f648d8_zps

Even though some may think I haven't done anything to the rudders They've been rescribed and repunched cause detail was really shallow! and I have corrected a couple of panel lines not present on Venezuelan Flankers!

IMG_7933_zpsdzgn3qdc.jpg

I hope you'll enjoy!!

Kike

I don't know if it is distorted by the camera, but that Wolfpack Su-30MKK fin looks too 'thin' in chord (width) at the base.

Measure the kit fin at the base (from the intake to the elevator actuator) and compare it with the kit fin - it should be the same.

Note that the Su-30MKK rudder extends all the way to the base of the fin - the kit rudder is shorter.

Here's a couple of drawuings to show the differences......

Su-27UB fin.......

fin_su-27ub.jpg

Su-30MKK fin......

fin_su-35.jpg

and... just for completeness, the Su-30MKI fin (same as Su-27UB but with increased rudder chord)....

fin_su-30mki.jpg

A couple more observations (is that OK?).....

The intake at the base of the fin leading edge should be double the size on the port fin - something that most of the Flanker kits don't get right.

.....and, I think the Caracal decals are sized to fit the kit fin - check that they 'work' on the Wolfpack fins before glueing them in place.

Ken

I don't know if it is distorted by the camera, but that Wolfpack Su-30MKK fin looks too 'thin' in chord (width) at the base.

Measure the kit fin at the base (from the intake to the elevator actuator) and compare it with the kit fin - it should be the same.

I've taken some mesures to make sure, I hope I understood what you were saying!

Both fins measured

IMG_8250.jpg

IMG_8251.jpg

And then both fins overlayed to see some differences

IMG_8253.jpg

The intake at the base of the fin leading edge should be double the size on the port fin - something that most of the Flanker kits don't get right.

Nor did Wolfpack

IMG_8249.jpg

And here's a shot of a Venezuelan Flanker probing your point (credits to the author, and posted here just for illustration purposes)

Rwn_AFVr.jpg

and, I think the Caracal decals are sized to fit the kit fin - check that they 'work' on the Wolfpack fins before glueing them in place.

Somewhere I've read the opossite, anyway I did some comparisson shots for you to judge

Kit's fin

IMG_8257.jpg

And the Wolfpack one

IMG_8256.jpg

Looks like non of them is a perfect match, I'll work my way through..

And just for fun, I compared both fins' tips with an actual picture of the plane, not exact but you get the idea

IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8259.jpg

I hope you'll find this useful

Edited by kike

Decals arrived, they look pretty cool, and have the escential to have this version done, at least the big stuff is nicely represented

IMG_8244.jpg

IMG_8245.jpg

All the data on this plane is in spanish and no one does it, so Lindenhill data sheet will do the trick, the big "danger" ones on the intakes are in spanish at least!

IMG_8375.jpg

While waiting for them I worked on the ordnance, since I usually get tired to them and don't pay attention. This is a show plane and Venezuelan SU's are not usually heavy loaded but since this one is mine! I'll take an artistic license and will fully load it.

A couple of Kryptons

IMG_8302.jpg

And some of the rest

IMG_8334.jpg

I mixed the color for the cockpit and after a couple (several to be true) I got where I wanted! and I'm pretty pleased with the color

IMG_8345.jpg

Thoughts?

Edited by kike

Watching at this pic

IMG_7455.jpg

I decided to add a tiny little piece of detail to the IRS

IMG_8373.jpg

Hopefully it will be blended when the time comes!

I have to add that the new sprues on this kits are made with a different kind of plastic, is softer and it has some kind of granulated texture, at the end I imagine it'll look the same but I just wanted to point that out.

Edited by kike

Now is time to get some paint on those landing gear bays, the front one is nicely detailed but almost imposible to paint well cause is a bit narrow and I'm not the best when painting that kind of detail. anyway here thay are ready to be installed

IMG_8412.jpg

A wash has been added after paint

IMG_8422.jpg

Then they've been put in place..

IMG_8446.jpg

And I managed to finish the Kryptons

IMG_8427.jpg

Now I'm going to go for the cockpit, but the detail is really poorly moulded, almost no raised detail so we will see how it ends!!

Edited by kike
On 18/4/2017 at 4:57 AM, nikosmeta said:

Very nice job so far. Well done. What colors did you use for the krypton?

Thanks, for the Kryptons I used Steel and titanium non-buffing metallizer and gunship for the tip, if I remember correctly.

I used this picture as a guide and did some guessing

14956371_10210787642629084_3381732764360

Posted here just for illustration purposes and credits to the author

Edited by kike

the cockpit is ready to go in. maybe not my best one, but as I said, detail wasn't that great and maybe a bit of lack of skills lol!

IMG_8438.jpg

I had to sand a bit of the lower corner of the front cockpit to clear it from the gear bay, just a little bit and the fit was great!

IMG_8450.jpg

The fit of the new front part is fairly good, but I'm not sure how to face this, should I glue the front part first or after the rear part of the upper fuselage?? opinnions

IMG_8449.jpg

Then one of the biggest challenges for me with this build, is to seal that joint in such a prominent spot! kinda hard to let it like this and pretend is a panel line, isn't it?

IMG_8452.jpg

IMG_8454.jpg

Should I add a piece of plastic behind that gap to retain CA or putty? or just try to fill it like that?

Edited by kike

That gap is unfortunate. From what I see, I would try to glue the front piece to the top fuselage to lose that gap first. That would invariably create fit issues at the front (where the radome will be) and where the top and bottom fuselage halves meet, but those issues would be easier to address in my opinion. In these situations, I try to assemble the parts such that whatever gap I end up creating is easiest to deal with among the alternatives.

I would use a combination of roughly fit plastic card (for strength) and CA glue with accelerator to speed up the drying time to about 3 seconds :-), but before you glue it make sure ALL the canopy parts fit and are level with the fuselage.  This should save you much swearing and time (don't ask how I know).  Then just sand the CA glue smooth with progressively finer grades of sanding sticks/paper and make flush with the surfaces.  CA glue dries ROCK hard in second and is the best thing for scribing (you don't have to worry about shrinkage or pieces getting brittle and coming off and you sand it.  You could also try milliput as well, but I would go for CA glue with a gap that big, its strength will also make handling the model in the future easier and less prone to breaking if you bump it against something.