1-48 Hobby Boss CF-18

On 2017-5-15 at 0:41 PM, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Revelant: 

Here is what I sent as a PM to JimD, the ARC member who created the hateful entries on the SCMG you mention. In a way, I almost wish that nobody had told me about it, because I have wasted far too many minutes going through the entries in the ARC thread trying to make sense of it all.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

PM TEXT TO JIMD:

Dude. Somebody tagged me in a long thread about what appears to be a FB page that has used my WIP thread as a laughing-stock. I will not feed the trolls and visit that group, because I have learned that there is absolutely no way to win against internet trolls. They have their own twisted ways of getting off; some of that includes feeding on the anger or embarrassment of the people they target.

I have not seen the content people are talking about. I have no intention of ever looking for it. I just want to say that I have learned through many life experiences to "consider the source." I only get perturbed by comments from people I respect. The rest? Not worth my time. That is how I became a fighter pilot, and that is why I have no qualms in saying that I enjoy this hobby despite the elitists' best efforts to turn off average to mediocre modellers like myself. I have a life, filled with people I value, and I have no requirement for validation over my modelling skills or any other aspect of my hobbies that others may choose to critique.

I would like to personally thank MingWin and others who have come to my defence. We met at a model show in Quebec City, and I was very happy to confirm that he was also a decent human being. It is so easy to be vindictive and hurtful while hiding behind a keyboard. I encourage all people to try and apply the "golden rule." Would you like others to treat you the way you treat them? If you say you do, you are being dishonest with yourself. Or you have some kind of mental illness that makes you not worth exchanging opinions with.

I heard that you (JimD) have removed some comments from that other internet site. Thank you for that. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. To all my true friends on ARC (you know who you are, e.g. AX_365, Neo, Scooby, EmVar, MingWin, ChuckZ, Phantom, and many others), thank you for being decent people. Sorry that I left some out, but frankly I have met many wonderful people through ARC. There really are too many to mention without leaving some out. To all the others? I consider the source. Your opinions are not relevant or valuable to me.

ALF

On 2017-5-17 at 11:35 PM, jester292 said:

Any more progress Alf? Loving this build!

Here is some for you. The armourers have painted the AMRAAMs; I just need to find some decals for them. Spares box, here we come!

Sg3WToE.jpg

I have started to install the gear doors, as well as the centreline tank.

orGEGJE.jpg

Decalling is done, and I have sprayed with a dull coat from Testors. This is a hybrid of two different eras. The older-style symmetrical markings and paint job from the early 90s in Baden-Soellingen, a 409 squadron aircraft. Tail number 750, which represents Coyote's last flight in Europe with 409. It also has all the latest upgrades to avionics, with the minor exception of a first-generation GPS antenna. No kit manufacturer or after-market supplier makes the new GPS dome.

6etBKGy.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see two AIM 9Ms painted up and decalled. These will be installed with seeker-head covers and remove before flight (RBF) flags.

s1EIPhl.jpg

In the foreground, you can make out the Sniper pod, and some gear doors still to be installed. I have also started work (not visible here) on the boarding ladder.

8DV8Osj.jpg

ALF

50 minutes ago, jester292 said:

Very Nice! Which colors did you use on the AMRAAM?

Thanks man. XF-64 Red Brown and X-8 Yellow (Tamiya). The missile body is Modelmaster Acryl FS 36375 (same as the lower fuselage colour), and the fins are XF-56 Metallic Grey (Tamiya).

ALF

Great reply to that tripe, ALF.  As my dad used to say, "Accept insults as compliments from ignorant people." Or his other gem, "The most you can expect from a pig is a grunt."  Those who can, do.  Those who can't, critique.  Some people.  Coyote is going to like it and that's all that matters.  Looking all dirty, grimy and abused.  And I am stealing your pencil staining technique!

Fingers crossed for tonight for no repeats of Sunday afternoon's turdburger in Pittsburgh.  Still not a sell out but The Boss and I have our seats.

GO SENS GO!

Take care.

Mike

Someone called me decent! Jk.... I could not have said it better. 

I wish I could play with real planes too. 

This site is about encouragement and sharing. I know your passion in sharing experiences that most of us wish would have happened. Not everyone makes it to the big show......but you sir are very humble despite being amoung elite.

Cheers

Emil

Thanks Alf for the kind words. Glad to see you are moving on. There was one person in that link that I previously respected for his work on the web. I'm afraid he has shown his true colors, he is no longer a valued person to me.

I actually reported the post in this thread that linked the other site, I don't think it was relevant at all although I guess the moderation team saw it as a constructive addition to this thread. I am very dissapointed that it was left for you or anyone else to view.

Nice work on the weapons. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Edited by Scooby
On 2017-5-23 at 8:38 AM, AX 365 said:

Great reply to that tripe, ALF.  As my dad used to say, "Accept insults as compliments from ignorant people." Or his other gem, "The most you can expect from a pig is a grunt."  Those who can, do.  Those who can't, critique.  Some people.  Coyote is going to like it and that's all that matters.  Looking all dirty, grimy and abused.  And I am stealing your pencil staining technique!

Fingers crossed for tonight for no repeats of Sunday afternoon's turdburger in Pittsburgh.  Still not a sell out but The Boss and I have our seats.

GO SENS GO!

Take care.

Mike

So happy for you that the game went the way it did last night, Mike - you deserved that spectacle. Fingers crossed for tomorrow in Pittsburgh. At this point, either team can win, and that's what makes it fun to watch.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

ALF

On 2017-5-23 at 1:29 PM, Emvar said:

Someone called me decent! Jk.... I could not have said it better. 

I wish I could play with real planes too. 

This site is about encouragement and sharing. I know your passion in sharing experiences that most of us wish would have happened. Not everyone makes it to the big show......but you sir are very humble despite being amoung elite.

Cheers

Emil

Just like you, Elmo, to focus on the positive! :woo: One thing I really enjoy about ARC is the way that we can all share our ups and downs with builds, and learn from each others' experiences. I am quite happy to call you guys friends.

ALF

19 hours ago, Scooby said:

Thanks Alf for the kind words. Glad to see you are moving on. There was one person in that link that I previously respected for his work on the web. I'm afraid he has shown his true colors, he is no longer a valued person to me.

I actually reported the post in this thread that linked the other site, I don't think it was relevant at all although I guess the moderation team saw it as a constructive addition to this thread. I am very dissapointed that it was left for you or anyone else to view.

Nice work on the weapons. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks for reporting it, Scooby. I went through a VERY brief moment of self-doubt, but then I applied some grown-up logic (similar to what my father told me, and Mike's father told him) and put it behind me. Over the years, I have realized that the internet is full of nasty people who can't hold a candle to the ones that I want to spend time with.

Hope your TDI issue gets sorted out soon!

ALF

14 hours ago, phantom said:

Trolls happen, we carry on.

Exactly. You, of all people, understand the importance of developing a thick skin. Validation only needs come from those whose opinions we value. I would much rather build many models I am happy with than one per year that I spent far too much time on getting perfect, knowing that the trolls will find fault no matter what. Like the Taylor Swift song: haters gonna hate. Shake it off!

ALF

Sorry Alf, have to revoke your Canadian man card. Canadian men do not quote Taylor Swift songs. We quote Rush, or maybe the Hip.....But mostly Rush.

Still a nice model but come on man!!!!:taunt:

2 hours ago, ALF18 said:

So happy for you that the game went the way it did last night, Mike - you deserved that spectacle. Fingers crossed for tomorrow in Pittsburgh. At this point, either team can win, and that's what makes it fun to watch.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

ALF

Yes, I am also cheering for Ottawa. Go Sens Go!

I was cheering against the Dirty Ducks too, I'm still pissed at the NHL for screwing the Oilers over on obvious inference goals, one goal defined goaltender interference and cost the Oilers the game and series.

1 minute ago, Scooby said:

Yes, I am also cheering for Ottawa. Go Sens Go!

I was cheering against the Dirty Ducks too, I'm still pissed at the NHL for screwing the Oilers over on obvious inference goals, one goal defined goaltender interference and cost the Oilers the game and series.

Agreed. It was a bit unusual to hear the commentators clearly say the NHL was off base on those calls. I saw lots of replays; those games happen way too late for the Eastern time zone.

Go Sens!

ALF

1 minute ago, Scooby said:

You guys know how Alf got his call sign don't you?

He looks and sounds exactly like Alf! 😎

Now look here, Willy...

OOO! A cat! Here Lucky... Yum.

ALF

3 minutes ago, ALF18 said:

Now look here, Willy...

OOO! A cat! Here Lucky... Yum.

ALF

You must have a picture of a canopy sill with "Alf" painted on it. Or were those the days before it was permitted?

On 2017-5-24 at 10:08 PM, Scooby said:

You must have a picture of a canopy sill with "Alf" painted on it. Or were those the days before it was permitted?

I wish. Nope, we had smaller egos back then. Nobody had their name on an aircraft when I retired.

ALF

16 hours ago, ALF18 said:

I wish. Nope, we had smaller egos back then. Nobody had their name on an aircraft when I retired.

ALF

Yeah, I thought so. Kind of ticked me off when they started it. I had just had 712 painted as our color jet (Lynx on the tail). That was my project. No sooner had the jet been painted when Millhouse received permission to fly home to Toronto with it. He had his name painted on it.

Although his name was removed soon after it left a big stain on that side of the jet.

Sadly we lost Millhouse a few years later in a mid-air collision while he was training with the Snowbirds. I wish he could still fly home to his parents with his name proudly displayed on any jet..............

On 2017-5-27 at 9:18 AM, Scooby said:

Yeah, I thought so. Kind of ticked me off when they started it. I had just had 712 painted as our color jet (Lynx on the tail). That was my project. No sooner had the jet been painted when Millhouse received permission to fly home to Toronto with it. He had his name painted on it.

Although his name was removed soon after it left a big stain on that side of the jet.

Sadly we lost Millhouse a few years later in a mid-air collision while he was training with the Snowbirds. I wish he could still fly home to his parents with his name proudly displayed on any jet..............

Yup. RIP. Shawn M? I met his widow a few years ago as we were taping English voices for a stage production that plays for cruise ship passengers here. Big tourist attraction; she did a voice, and I was doing 4 voices, including two kings (Louis XIV, and another one).

Well, folks, finally some good progress. Dull coat sprayed, and final touches being applied.

The Sniper did not pass QC. I decided to build up one from a Kinetic F-18A kit (the new kit). Turns out it's the same as the F-16 Kinetic Sniper, but this time I did a slightly better job on it. I have ordered 3 Sniper pods in 1/48 from Lucky Model, so I don't have to keep the ones in the Kinetic kits.

pOnBTIZ.jpg

This is the bottom of the aircraft after I glued on the ordnance and targeting pod, and before spraying final dull coat over the external stores.

gET5McF.jpg

After the dull coat.

U4GhH7n.jpg

Here is the little F-104 boarding ladder I ordered. After taking this pic, I dry-brushed some black on top of the grey colour. Coyote wants this jet to be "cocked" for a scramble multi-role mission in Europe. We used to keep jets armed and ready to go very quickly (actual number of minutes from scramble horn to take-off is classified, but let's just say WAY less than half an hour). With this load, it would have had magnetic covers over the AIM 9M seeker heads, but no other RBF flags anywhere. The pilot would have done his walk-around, removed all the pins, arranged the straps, and the boarding ladder would be ready to wheel up to the jet after the scramble horn went off.

JQI5YmF.jpg

The weather was supposed to be bad, so I took these pics outside last evening just in case I couldn't get outside shots today. The canopy is not yet glued in place; it is sitting on the actuator at a too-low angle right now.

Vs15mv3.jpg

Note the RBF flags and yellow missile seeker head covers. Because the seeker heads spin up (gyros) when power is applied to them, these covers contain magnets that hold the seeker heads in a stable position while they spin up (and also after power is shut off, as they spin down). Without these, the seeker heads would beat themselves to death as the gyros started to rotate. That's why these are always installed even on a "cocked" jet.

SmQGzG7.jpg

Final assembly shots in next post.

ALF

Here is the model under the watchful eye of Max the giant Yorkshire terrier.

NZPAOSh.jpg

I glued the canopy in place with crazy glue (CA glue for we nerds in this forum). Coyote, I will include an extra canopy actuator in the box I mail to you, in case (unlikely) this snaps in transit. It is pretty solid; I could pick the model up while holding the canopy, but I am not pushing it. :rolleyes:

GbizMaS.jpg

As I was reviewing the pictures, I noticed two things. Scooby got the fuel door all dirty...

And I was missing a helmet!

uP3RM2w.jpg

I went into my spares box, and found the DACO F-104 upgrade kit. It included several helmets. I scratch-built a mask and oxygen hose for it, and installed it on the canopy rail where a pilot would park his helmet after hooking it up to the straps on the seat. Naturally, after an aircraft is cocked, you NEVER close the canopy. It would do a number on the helmet.

Note that I also scratch-built a JHMCS (Joint Helmet-Mounted Cueing System) position tracker on the canopy rail (left side, about even with the seat, and sticking up above the rail into the canopy).

DuFps8j.jpg

d4JkAso.jpg

So that, folks, is the end. I will pack this puppy up tomorrow and send it off to Coyote. Thanks to all for your encouragement. No thanks to the dweeb who linked the other thread with the hater discussion. I could have done without that. And by the way, the word is "relevant", not "revelant". You know what I mean. Or maybe you don't, because you lack some basic life skills. Rant over.

ALF

5 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Alf, no Miles S. Not Shawn M.

His widow is now married to Boozer, who lost his wife in a very tragic accident (we lost three wives in that accident).

Yes, I remember that. Super sad for such a tight community in Cold Lake.

1 hour ago, ALF18 said:

Yes, I remember that. Super sad for such a tight community in Cold Lake.

I think I went to something like 17 funerals that year, of both retired and serving people I had served with. It was a horrible year.

Although the loss of the three ladies was the toughest. My wife worked with one of them at the Cold Lake hospital, she was a new RN that my wife had just completed her orientation with.

Looks good, Alf!  Did this jet still have symmetrical era markings on it after it was updated?  Also, how those that F-104 ladder measure up to the Hornet?  Does it come up to the LEX, or will it need to be modified?  Been wanting to pair that ladder with a CF-18, but don't feel like scratchbuilding it.

Thanks!